ALO Audio The Continental: Portable Vacuum Tube Amplification (Review)
Nov 5, 2011 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus
1080P Video Slideshow:

ALO Audio’s new Continental portable tube headphone amplifier is easily the most electrifying portable amp that I have ever heard. Unlike most amplifiers that offer solid state amplification, the ALO Continental has a tiny Raytheon 6111 NOS tube strapped inside for that sweet sound that almost every audio enthusiast has come to love. Even though the ALO Continental isn’t the first to pull off a portable tube headphone amp (TTVJ/Millett Hybrid), they are the only ones on the market who even offer this option for the time being. So, just how good does the ALO Continental sound?

At the time of this review, I was lucky enough to have a killer setup for me to audition the Continental with. The Sennhesier HD800, Audez’e LCD-2, and my own HD650 were all part of the group, and Ken even lent me a CLAS to play around with (review for that coming shortly). The sound of this amp is absolutely breathtaking, and while I haven’t heard every top tiered portable amp on the face of the planet, it’s pretty easy to decide that the Continental is a world class amp in and of itself. But before we get to the sound, let’s take a quick look around the perimeter of the continental and some of the technical specifications. 

The Design
Like most amps, you get the usual line in, a volume knob, line out, and a power switch. Everything on the front is very basic, and the same can be said for the reverse side of the Continental. You get a plugin for the power cord as well as ALO Audio’s logo. The top is a bit of a different scenario however. You get the name of the amp in fancy cursive lettering as well as perforations along the side. Why are there holes on the side you may be asking? Well, just because this is a portable amp doesn’t mean the tube doesn’t gain heat, because it does. While it may not get as scorching hot as some of the other desktop ones I have tried, it gets pretty warm, and I’m pretty sure ALO thought it would be nice to add in some breathing space.

Sonic Impressions
The sound signature of the Continental reminds me very much of a desktop amp, just stuffed into a smaller package. You get the same gorgeous mids, extended highs, and prominent bass that you detect from the majority of tube desktop amps. Let’s say you pair this with an Audez’e LCD-2 or an HD800, your still going to get that high end sound from a great portable system. Very sweet and prominent mids that are never congested, slightly forward, and amazing clarity. With that being said, the mids of the Continental really don’t pair well with headphones that have an already sweet midrange, as they tend to become too forward and recess the rest of the spectrum. Treble wise, the Continental excels exceptionally well, even beating out the TTVJ Slim, an amp that I loved so dearly for its sparkly and greatly extended high end. There is something that the Continental does so much better than the TTVJ Slim though, and that’s sound staging.

Width, depth, and instrumental separation on the Continental are absolutely superb. I thought the TTVJ Slim was phenomenal, but it turns out I wasn’t hearing anything yet. Pair this with a Sennhesier HD650, and you may have yourself a home rig for the rest of your life. The HD650 opens up, and scales up so well with the Continental. While it’s not speedy enough for rock and metal, it’s actually very enjoyable now for slightly up tempo paced genres. The HD650 isn’t as laid back as it used to be, has more energy and velocity, and certainly didn’t sound as dark as it did before. Low end surge is still there, and while it isn’t as powerful as something like the SoundMagic A10 or the Rx MkII, you get a good amount of rumble and punch, with depth extension lacking. 

Final Thoughts
For me, the ALO Continental is the best portable amp I have ever heard. I have yet to listen to the RSA SR-71A or the L3, but I really don’t know how they could top the Continental in terms of the midrange and treble quality. Sure, you could definitely improve on the low end of the spectrum, but does that mean you have to sacrifice other parts of the frequency? At this point, I could easily recommend this to anybody looking to get the absolute best sound out of whatever they may be listening to, and if you were to pair this with a CLAS and an iPod, you would have yourself a pretty kick-ass home rig too. The Continental can be had for $485, and considering the performance you get out of the Continental, that isn’t a very high price at all.

ALO Continental @ALOAudio

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 16
Nice review. What you describe with the HD650 reminds me of my impressions of it with the Lyr only the Continental is portable for your home/office workstation. Very nice.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
Nice review. What you describe with the HD650 reminds me of my impressions of it with the Lyr only the Continental is portable for your home/office workstation. Very nice.

Yep, the Continental can almost be considered (if you pair it with a CLAS) a desktop rig for someone who doesn't want a home setup and a portable rig but wants a one way solution.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
Unlike most amplifiers that offer solid state amplification, the ALO Continental has a tiny Raytheon 6111 NOS tube strapped inside for that sweet sound that almost every audio enthusiast has come to love. Even though the ALO Continental isn’t the first to pull off a portable tube headphone amp (TTVJ/Millett Hybrid), they are the only ones on the market who even offer this option for the time being.

Nice review.  Small correction though - GoVive has the PortaTube and PortaTube+ that both use the same tube, in roughly the same form factor.

Haven't heard the Continental - but the P-T sounds sweet as well 
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Nice review.  Small correction though - GoVive has the PortaTube and PortaTube+ that both use the same tube, in roughly the same form factor.

Haven't heard the Continental - but the P-T sounds sweet as well 
wink.gif

Oh. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on that and post a review/comparison for that as well. 
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 16
Great review!

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 16
Really look forward to your CLAS review.  ALO has a lot of CLASs.  I heard the CLAS with the Rx3 balanced (I think) with the LCD2 and was blown away by the sound quality.

Nov 6, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
Really look forward to your CLAS review.  ALO has a lot of CLASs.  I heard the CLAS with the Rx3 balanced (I think) with the LCD2 and was blown away by the sound quality.

Yes, I'm going to try and head down to ALO Audio sometime soon for a session with the Rx MkIII balanced edition.

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:

Here is the CLAS review in case you did not read it yet - http://www.head-fi.org/t/582061/cypher-labs-algorythm-solo-a-revolutionary-ipod-dac-review

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 16
Excellent review. Mirrored many of my own thoughts.

One or two people (not naming names), doubted me when I told them this was the best portable amp I'd ever heard. I was comparing against quite a few other top dogs at the time. But the Continental pushed ahead with a texture quality and sound stage that the other portables just couldn't match. I think a few doubted the plausibility of a 'hybrid' tube, feeling that such a thing could not be successful. I'm glad my ears did not fail me, and reading all these reviews essentially sharing my own opinion (back when I was one of the first to own the device) is strangely vindicating.

Shame that on my return to the audio fi world, there is now a version 2 of the amp. Makes me want it. Thank God the only real difference (from what I've read thus far) is the battery life lol.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for this, Austin. Its a shame that the amp's debut was marred by some really nasty brawling here on Head-Fi - I have no idea how that all ended, but the important thing is that the amp sounded good when people who had actually paid for it plugged in their phones. Headfonia Mike seems to share your opinion, and he was a huge fan of the 71A, so I guess others can make of his recommendation what they will.

For those who don't need any of this (a gain switch is handy, admittedly), I have to ask whether its worth spending an additional $45 over the price of the original Continental:

- Extended Battery Life 7-8 hours
-New Hi/Lo gain switch for pairing with IEMs
-Updated enclosure and finish

Inevitably, people will want comparisons with the Rx MKIII when its released, but the latter seems to be aimed at 71B owners - not sure if its going to be apples vs apples. Might be time for Mike to put together another 'Single-ended Portable Shootout'.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Thanks for this, Austin. Its a shame that the amp's debut was marred by some really nasty brawling here on Head-Fi - I have no idea how that all ended, but the important thing is that the amp sounded good when people who had actually paid for it plugged in their phones. Headfonia Mike seems to share your opinion, and he was a huge fan of the 71A, so I guess others can make of his recommendation what they will.

For those who don't need any of this (a gain switch is handy, admittedly), I have to ask whether its worth spending an additional $45 over the price of the original Continental:

- Extended Battery Life 7-8 hours
-New Hi/Lo gain switch for pairing with IEMs
-Updated enclosure and finish

Inevitably, people will want comparisons with the Rx MKIII when its released, but the latter seems to be aimed at 71B owners - not sure if its going to be apples vs apples. Might be time for Mike to put together another 'Single-ended Portable Shootout'.

True. I was talking to Ken and Caleb at their shop recently and they both said they were a bit wary about sending review products out because reviewers weren't returning the products. Oh, and the battery life for me wasn't that bad, but the 7-8 hours is a nice upgrade.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 16
Thats really ordinary, isnt it - no shortage of people lining up to review new kit, but if we dont return the review units, who in their right mind will continue to make them available ? I'm afraid there are some real rogues on Head-Fi from time to time - Skylab lost at least one portable amp when he loaned it to another Head-Fier and it wasnt returned - but thankfully those people seem to be in the minority.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 16
Has anyone tried to take this amp onto an airplane? Just wondering whether there is a risk it would be retained by airport security on check- in. 
Thanks
james

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #15 of 16
I've taken all sorts of things onto planes, from portable amps to sex toys - as long as you take the batteries out, its all good. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back