ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #1,338 of 1,380
I agree that Hugo 2 is a great transportable DAC, but for desktop use I prefer other options.
Fortunately, there are many excellent DACs to choose from these days depending upon personal preferences, of which the excellent Chord products offer much that is noteworthy in terms of build quality and performance.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #1,339 of 1,380
I would like to get my hands on a Weiss 501 to pair with the S6.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #1,341 of 1,380
Thanks for that suggestion, Robert!

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,344 of 1,380
Studio Six and Sennheiser HD 800 great combination.
I too particularly enjoy both the original HD800 and HD800S with the Studio-Six :slight_smile:

The Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S share substantially similar core attributes, but do have significant differences in presentation. I have both types, and I would not want to have to choose to keep only one over the other.

The extremely revealing nature and electrical parameters of the HD800/S series make their performance quite dependent upon amplifier choice, and also they tend to reveal any shortcomings in the playback chain and quality of the recording, and these factors are a real caveat. The 800 series phones are IMO *not* unconditionally recommendable for use with every system and/or for every user application.

When paired with suitable amplification, good source equipment and well-recorded/mastered music, I feel the 800 series remains an absolutely stellar reference-level headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #1,345 of 1,380
I too particularly enjoy both the original HD800 and HD800S with the Studio-Six :slight_smile:

The Sennheiser HD800 and HD800S share substantially similar core attributes, but do have significant differences in presentation. I have both types, and I would not want to have to choose to keep only one over the other.

The extremely revealing nature and electrical parameters of the HD800/S series make their performance quite dependent upon amplifier choice, and also they tend to reveal any shortcomings in the playback chain and quality of the recording, and these factors are a real caveat. The 800 series phones are IMO *not* unconditionally recommendable for use with every system and/or for every user application.

When paired with suitable amplification, good source equipment and well-recorded/mastered music, I feel the 800 series remains an absolutely stellar reference-level headphone.

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #1,347 of 1,380
I have the Sennheiser HD 800 headphone with the anaxillus and super dupont resonator modifications do you think it is worth picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD 800S to use with my ALO STUDIO SIX Amplifier?
unfortunately I am personally unfamiliar with the characteristics of modified HD800 headphones.

I would say that if you have an opportunity to try a pair of HD800S with the Studio-Six before buying, that might be a prudent approach.

In my experience, an area of significant note with the HD800S vs the original 800 is the presentation of vocals. I find that vocals are generally presented more forward in the mix and have a somewhat greater sense of ”body“ with the HD800S. Again, this is via the Studio-Six and other prototype tube headphone amplifiers I have on hand here.

Whether you would find the HD800S to offer substantial benefits for you as compared to your modified original-series HD800 phones —this is a quite difficult thing to conjecture.

If you should get a chance to try a pair of HD800S with the Studio-Six, then please do share your impressions here :smile_phones:

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,348 of 1,380
JKTRRT, the anax mod was to smooth out the hump in the HD800. I suspect it is more similar to the HD800S. It would be interesting for you to get hold of the new pair and see how they compare. Tom, Anax did a lot of his listening on Eddie Current amps.

Feb 27, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #1,349 of 1,380
JKTRRT, the anax mod was to smooth out the hump in the HD800. I suspect it is more similar to the HD800S. It would be interesting for you to get hold of the new pair and see how they compare. Tom, Anax did a lot of his listening on Eddie Current amps.
I did both modifications. I had both the HD 800 and HD 800S. They sounded similar afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back