ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,351 of 1,380
Rocking with Studio-Six, LCD5, MOJO2, Hiby RS3 Pro, DHC Comp4 Silver.....

20230227_143230.jpg

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #1,353 of 1,380
Very nice ensemble of gear :slight_smile:

The LCD-5 is a beautiful headphone.
Yes, 2nd newest addition for my hp collection.
Once you get used to mid forward then LCD5 competes with TOTL hp out there.
Easy to drive.
Uber of details retrieval.
Bass is not too heavy but but distinctive defines percussion instruments and electrical bass or acoustic double bass in jazz music....
Complement with OG Utopia, HD800S, and HE1000SE.....

Mar 3, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #1,355 of 1,380
Mar 27, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #1,357 of 1,380
Hello,

Been a happy studio six for a few years now, but lately not getting any use. One day it just wouldn't turn on, and after changing a fuse (which was faulty), I changed the 5AR4 tube given some of the things i picked up from the thread. That however has not worked. I have written to ALO support with no response for quite a while now, and am unsure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mar 27, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #1,358 of 1,380
Hello,

Been a happy studio six for a few years now, but lately not getting any use. One day it just wouldn't turn on, and after changing a fuse (which was faulty), I changed the 5AR4 tube given some of the things i picked up from the thread. That however has not worked. I have written to ALO support with no response for quite a while now, and am unsure what to do. Any help would be much appreciated.
Does safety lamp located in front came on around 14 sec?
All tubes glow?
Check 2 fuses again. Make sure same Ampere.

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #1,359 of 1,380
Does safety lamp located in front came on around 14 sec?
All tubes glow?
Check 2 fuses again. Make sure same Ampere.

Yes that's a good point.

Is that right? Studio Six has 2 fuses. Is that right? I'm not sure myself but if that's the case then yes, I'd say both need to be replaced or at least taken into account when troubleshooting.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #1,362 of 1,380
Fuses replaced in the power chord plug. am I missing another fuse? checked the chord on another amp and it's fine. No tubes glow, neither does the safety lamp come on.
So both fuses replaced correct?
Take out the 5AR4 tube and shaken right by year ear and hear any broken filament inside?

No tube ever glow? Or orange lamp on?
If 5AR4 is ok or new tube installed then next to replace are 2 small regulator tubes need to be replaced....

Mar 28, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #1,363 of 1,380
Hello,

I just now found your posts. I am sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Unfortunately, Ken of ALO is just departing for an extended vacation stay in Asia. Also: Sadly, Jim, the primary service technician at ALO, recently died unexpectedly. Since Jim’s death, there has been a big vacancy at ALO, as you might imagine.

I do personally assist Studio-Six owners, as I can, on an independent basis. Let me see if I can help you. I must however apologize in advance, I’m *right now* in the very midst of final preparations to sell a home and also in the middle of household moving preparations as well, and so I will be unusually busy and preoccupied for a little while longer.

Please allow me to ask you a few questions first, in effort to better understand your situation:

(1) What rectifier tube did you attempt to try other than the specified 5AR4/GZ34?

(2) Did the amplifier stop working soon after installing an alternate type rectifier? Please tell me a bit more of the particulars and of the tubes and operating circumstances with the amplifier just prior to the first fuse blow.

(3) Did either or both of the fuses blow in the amplifier ? (there are only the two fuses in the Studio-Six, and yes they are in the IEC power inlet/mains-switch/fuse unit.)

(4) Do you have a basic volt-ohm multimeter or a simple continuity tester to check if either/both of the fuses are blown? If one fuse is blown, both fuses should be replaced. Please always use the same type, voltage and current rating of fuse as the original units.

Once I have a little more information, then we can better determine how to proceed, and get your amplifier back running again.

My day tomorrow (Tuesday) will be quite busy (as will the rest of the week) but I will endeavor to make some time to follow up with you a little further tomorrow.

I do apologize for the “perfect storm” situation impacting ALO service support presently. ALO is a small company, and it’s just coincidence/circumstance that’s responsible for the present shortfall of personnel at the ALO offices.

We *will* help fix your unit Sir — it just may take a few more days or weeks than normal —but do not worry ! :relieved:

Do feel free to Private Message me any time.

—Thomas

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #1,364 of 1,380
Hello,
@TomSix

Sorry to hear about Jim,my condolences.
And good luck finding a new technician and clearing out the house.

I understand you are busy and no harm in replying later.

Saw this amp by accident and what you read is good.

I still have a few questions.

Are there any references to Zmf headphones?

We have a German distributor in Germany, my search revealed, would he be available or is the construction also currently stopped, if he would not have any more in stock?

Are the Ob 2 tubes readily available like the other tubes?

I will continue to browse this forum until then to find out more.
It could possibly be the amp I am looking for.
6v6 tubes are really cream to my ears.
Somehow I love what these tubes bring across tonally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back