ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #856 of 1,383
What is a cascade?

Feb 10, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #858 of 1,383
Ah! Thanks!

Feb 11, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #860 of 1,383
I will hear them at CnaJam SoCal in April.

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #861 of 1,383
Hello everybody,

I am a proud owner of the Studio Six for a couple of months now and enjoy it very much, I have been following this forum actively with he goal to learn more about the technology behind what makes my music so enjoyable. I don't have a strong knowledge of vacuum tubes and I find myself with an issue, perhaps not a real one, that I would like some advise from a more experienced audience.

Tonight after coming home from work and turned on my SS I found the 6SN7 tube black inside, although still working, so it seems, I am concern that it might either deteriorate my listening experience or prematurely die. It does not have many hours on it I would say 200 at the most and the amp is under warranty I have included pictures of the tube and the system. Can anyone shed some light and educate me on what is the issue and my next step? Appreciated is everyone knowledge and support.

Best Regards

IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0502.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #862 of 1,383
Hello everybody,

I am a proud owner of the Studio Six for a couple of months now and enjoy it very much, I have been following this forum actively with he goal to learn more about the technology behind what makes my music so enjoyable. I don't have a strong knowledge of vacuum tubes and I find myself with an issue, perhaps not a real one, that I would like some advise from a more experienced audience.

Tonight after coming home from work and turned on my SS I found the 6SN7 tube black inside, although still working, so it seems, I am concern that it might either deteriorate my listening experience or prematurely die. It does not have many hours on it I would say 200 at the most and the amp is under warranty I have included pictures of the tube and the system. Can anyone shed some light and educate me on what is the issue and my next step? Appreciated is everyone knowledge and support.

Best Regards

Hey MelaVerde,

This is normal, I have a bunch that look like this, Thomas prob knows the molecular going on here :wink:

Thomas thank you for participating in the ST6 forum! TomSix is a insane wealth of tech knowledge.

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 15, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #864 of 1,383
Hey MelaVerde,

This is normal, I have a bunch that look like this, Thomas prob knows the molecular going on here :wink:

Thomas thank you for participating in the ST6 forum! TomSix is a insane wealth of tech knowledge.

Ken
Thanks Ken for the quick and reinsuring response, I just ordered the Phono Pre-Amp from you guys at ALO to upgrade the current one, looking forward to receive it and start enjoying it; indeed TomSix is an amazing wealth of tech knowledge but I am afraid I will have to start with the ABC of the Dummy guides for Vacuum Tubes before I can leverage his insights.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #868 of 1,383
Hello everyone, has anyone any experience with the Northern Electric 6SN7 from Canada, reviews seem positive although someone has issue with the center pin being a little fragile. I was looking for the RCA Red Base but of course I might have more luck finding a pink Unicorn; as usual any suggestion or advice is highly appreciated. BTW this thread is a well of knowledge and a shocker for my wallet.

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #869 of 1,383
Hello everyone, has anyone any experience with the Northern Electric 6SN7 from Canada, reviews seem positive although someone has issue with the center pin being a little fragile. I was looking for the RCA Red Base but of course I might have more luck finding a pink Unicorn; as usual any suggestion or advice is highly appreciated. BTW this thread is a well of knowledge and a shocker for my wallet.

I like the Northern Electric tubes. I have used the 6SN7 in the Studio Six as well as my Cary SLI-80. It is a good quality tube. No issue so far after close to 1000 hours.

Feb 21, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #870 of 1,383
MelaVerde Quote: "Tonight after coming home from work and turned on my SS I found the 6SN7 tube black inside, although still working, so it seems, I am concern that it might either deteriorate my listening experience or prematurely die. It does not have many hours on it I would say 200 at the most and the amp is under warranty I have included pictures of the tube and the system. Can anyone shed some light and educate me on what is the issue and my next step? Appreciated is everyone knowledge and support."

Hello MelaVerde,

Let me first apologize to you: I have been away from this forum, and somehow I failed to see your question regarding the visual appearance of your 6SN7 tube.

From the photo you've shared, it would appear the dark spot in your tube is simply the normal 'getter', which is a layer of compounds deposited on the inside of a tube envelope during the manufacturing process intended to absorb any residual gas/ contaminants within the tube remaining after the tube is evacuated.

When/if a tube starts to fail by leaking, the 'getter' will begin to turn white or gray in color, as opposed to the normal metallic look as seen on your tube.

It's quite likely you simply did not notice the 'getter' initially --totally understandable.

I hope your Studio-Six is working well, and sounding good :wink:

Please, do not hesitate to Private Message me directly should you have any problems etc, I'm glad to help.

Again, sorry for the delayed response. I'm presently preparing for a 600 mile move to California, and so my attention to this forum has been sporadic.

All the best!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back