ALO Audio Studio Six Reviews and Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #301 of 1,380
ive tried different power cables  but the ones that made the difference are the harmonic technology fantasy cables , the acoustic zen tsunami .  i also changed the fuse to hifi tuning fuse - and it also made some change in the sound .

honestly though the one that made the most to make my sound better is the decware csp3  pre amp with beeswax caps - it made the alo S6 better in all aspects of sound - it is like on steroids .

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #302 of 1,380
I reckon (which has somewhat been confirmed) that it depends very much on how susceptible the amp is to noise. When I had the RKV, the power cable made a lot of difference, as it did with some DACs I owned which had fairly simple power supplies.

I have DIY Van Den Hul Mainstream cables -- DIY because the stock Wattgate gold plated plugs they came with tend to make the sound a bit mushy. It seems crazy to me that a power plug would use something as un-conductive as gold, so I bought some Oyaide plugs instead and have no complaints about the result.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #303 of 1,380
  ive tried different power cables  but the ones that made the difference are the harmonic technology fantasy cables , the acoustic zen tsunami .  i also changed the fuse to hifi tuning fuse - and it also made some change in the sound .

honestly though the one that made the most to make my sound better is the decware csp3  pre amp with beeswax caps - it made the alo S6 better in all aspects of sound - it is like on steroids .

Thanks of the tip re the Hi Fi tuning fuses, which one and which size do you use?

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #304 of 1,380
Valves have just arrived - let the tube rolling begin. Lets see, what have we here

1 x Red Base 1950's 6SN7
2 x Original version, engraved base, Zenith - branded Sylvania 6v6's 1930's matched date codes - boy, these are a rare pair !
2 x RCA mirror matched pair OB2's
1 x 1940's RCA 6SN7-GT WW2 era

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #305 of 1,380
Swapped out the Bendix 6v6's for the Zenith's, now there's less grain and better layering.

The RCA Red base 6SN7 has added more light and resolution.

Still not sure about the OB2's, will swap out the RCA's and go back to the Mullard's. Currawong is spot on here about the OB2's. Will have to see if I can find some of those French CV1833's he has.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #306 of 1,380
Squirrel, what is your source, still the Macbook it shows in your profile? Just curious if you've thought about the Audiophilleo 1 + Pure Power USB interface, I've read good things about them, particularly on high-end setups like yours that use computers as the source. Would be curious to hear anyone's impressions on the pairing with the SS if there is a signifcant benefit of going to a better USB interface with it.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #307 of 1,380
I reckon you might be fine with the OB2s in there ATM if you don't have Sylvania or Bendix in the other slots. Mullard + Sylvania = a bit too mellow IMO.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #308 of 1,380
Squirrel, what is your source, still the Macbook it shows in your profile? Just curious if you've thought about the Audiophilleo 1 + Pure Power USB interface, I've read good things about them, particularly on high-end setups like yours that use computers as the source. Would be curious to hear anyone's impressions on the pairing with the SS if there is a signifcant benefit of going to a better USB interface with it.

Yep using the MacBook.... I had a large record collection that was entirely wiped out in the floods of 2011 along with my Rockport Sirius turntable and most of my gear. I was so upset I gave my hobby away for a few years. Thankfully I have found a new joy with headphone audio.

I have a D-Fi USB cable with Micro USB termination into the Hugo. Thank you for your suggestion re the Audiopilleo 1 etc. I have been reading up on it. Yes it's of interest if it improves the sound, having said I need help on this as I read Rob Watts posts on the design of the Hugo's USB & DAC implementation and it seems to me that it may not help.

I think Currawong reviewed the Audiopilleo 1 and he has a Hugo so I would be interested to see what he has to say on the matter.

I plan on adding another DAC at some stage this year. I really love the Hugo and that leads me to wonder what else Chord (rob Watts) has in store to unleash on us mere mortals.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #309 of 1,380
I reckon you might be fine with the OB2s in there ATM if you don't have Sylvania or Bendix in the other slots. Mullard + Sylvania = a bit too mellow IMO.

Gone back to the Mullard OB2's, the presentation is more natural, cleaner, reminds me of live acoustic performances. I will be trying the Shunyata Talos power out tomorrow. This is why I love the Studio Six, I can tube roll it to the rest of my system. 

Aug 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #310 of 1,380
Just keep taking pictures!

If you are looking to try a new DAC I highly recommend the Vega, I went to a dealer to try it thinking $3100 was way overpriced for a DAC and needless to say I ended up walking out with out, best sounding DAC I've ever experienced

Aug 4, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #311 of 1,380
Just keep taking pictures!

If you are looking to try a new DAC I highly recommend the Vega, I went to a dealer to try it thinking $3100 was way overpriced for a DAC and needless to say I ended up walking out with out, best sounding DAC I've ever experienced

I will get some decent photos tonight with the big camera.

I am going to audition a few DAC's including the Vega and Macintosh DAC 100. However I enjoy the sound out of Hugo for now, its hardly lacking in the DAC department.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #312 of 1,380
This is getting expensive, I brought a Shunyata Hydra Talon home for an audition, well needless to say its not going back. With better power into the Studio Six everything has just floated into 3D.

Also went optical out of the Hugo instead of USB, which helped smooth the sound, I couldn't hear exactly what was going on before now the SS is revealing everything.

Auditioning the Macintosh D100 for the weekend. Phew, I hope it's not as good or better than the Hugo.......

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #313 of 1,380
This is getting expensive, I brought a Shunyata Hydra Talon home for an audition, well needless to say its not going back. With better power into the Studio Six everything has just floated into 3D.

Also went optical out of the Hugo instead of USB, which helped smooth the sound, I couldn't hear exactly what was going on before now the SS is revealing everything.

Auditioning the Macintosh D100 for the weekend. Phew, I hope it's not as good or better than the Hugo.......

Nice, I will have to check out that Shunyata you recommended. Sounds like you may need to give your wallet a little break first before auditioning that Mac though :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #314 of 1,380

Nice, I will have to check out that Shunyata you recommended. Sounds like you may need to give your wallet a little break first before auditioning that Mac though
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, for sure, I will head over to the D100 thread and see if anyone has compared it to a Hugo?

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #315 of 1,380

Keep us updated :) I'm interesting to hear your opinion about Macintosh D100!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back