Allo DigiOne Signature vs. SoTM sMS-200 and 200 Ultra
Jan 28, 2019 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nicholas Seltzer

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody have any idea how these two compare? I doubt I'll be playing much ultra high resolution or DSD so not worried much about limitations of S/PDIF. I'm only just recently coming around to the idea that digital sources matter, but I'm still not sure how much. Can a $350 DigiOne approach the performance of a $1500 dedicated unit like the SoTM sMS-200 Ultra? How about other devices like a MicroRendu and so forth?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 28, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 7
I think for those who tried Digione say that it sounds good, but the interface and user experience can be clunky. I'm actually kind of doing my research on a network renderer. I'm want to get the SMS200 ultra neo. Used ones show up for $850ish. I think it's worth it. Ultrarendu probably is also very good. All network renders need to be well implemented, so you want the best OS and software, etc. The Rendu's and SMSs are the best in the regard.

Jan 28, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks, man. That makes sense. If I can find a good deal on the sMS I may go for it. Do you have any idea how it compares with the ultraRendu?

Most reports say SMS200 ultra is more musical but without sacrificing detail, but there are people who prefers ultrarendu. I think you can't go wrong with either one. I almost bought an ultra, but at this point, I want an ultra neo or optical rendu.

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Allo DigiOne Signature Owner here. The differences you would hear between the Allo and SMS's may also depend on the rest of the components in your set up. On balance, I found that the Allo, when paired with a nice power supply, was so good that it narrowed the performance gap between my Yggdrasil and the built-in DAC in my integrated amp. It actually made me question why I have such an expensive DAC in the first place.

Your UX may also vary depending if you use it as Squeezebox player or Roon end point. I have mine set up as a squeezebox player since it is free and cheap, but will be moving to Roon as soon as I can.

Long story short, you can't go wrong with updating your source. Pick the one that fits in your budget and priorities!

Apr 22, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Anybody have any idea how these two compare? I doubt I'll be playing much ultra high resolution or DSD so not worried much about limitations of S/PDIF. I'm only just recently coming around to the idea that digital sources matter, but I'm still not sure how much. Can a $350 DigiOne approach the performance of a $1500 dedicated unit like the SoTM sMS-200 Ultra? How about other devices like a MicroRendu and so forth?

Thanks in advance.
This is a difficult question as it is best answered under the consideration of your other components in your system. But, - in my opinion, - having had a Macbooks, iBooks, MacMini's, and Dell PCs in my system, - all of these digital file players sound better, and are cheaper. The Razberri/Allo digione is great because it's cheap and gives you coax Digital output. It equates itself very nicely with the Sonore & SoTM products. But if you have a pretty high performance system, you will find it lacking tonal balance, mid-range bloom, detail, and overall timing compared to the others, - especially with a very good ext. digital power supply. Adding an Uptone LPS-1.2 really takes DigiOne up a notch. If you have a sub $7-10K retail system, or unless you have a really great headphone system, - I would say that Allo DigiOne would be a really smart call. I have an ultraRendu and although I was incredibly impressed with Pi/DigiOne, and Uptone LPSU, - it did not cut it for me, as my ultraRendu sounds significantly better and significantly more "real"

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Three years late but I can answer this one.
I have an Allo USBridge/Digione Signature (Shanti powered) connected via coax to a Topping E30 and an SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo ( SOtM sPS-500 powered) connected via USB to the same DAC.
Now maybe the Dac/Amp (L30) can't do justice to the system or maybe I'm deaf
(the kids think so!) but I can't hear any difference at all between the two.
I'm exclusively using Roon so there is no operational difference between either streamer and I can switch between them by queueing the same track on both and flipping them through the Dac.

My best advice is to get a Pi+Hat and splash out on a Lifetime subscription to Roon before it disappears.
It's nuts how much people are prepared to spend in Amps, Dacs and cables but baulk at the chance to invest in the functionality of Roon.

It took me three trial accounts (different email addresses) before the penny dropped and I grabbed it before I'd bought any audio equipment as I could see the value of Roon even by just running it into headphones from my phone!

Roon does need a strong network; Mesh routers plugged into the rooms you want to use for hi-fi and an Ethernet cable from there to the streamer and that's it.
I paid £420 for Roon ($500) 3 years ago before it went up to $700, I now just have to live long enough to benefit but as it's possibly the strongest reason I have to stay alive .... how can you put a price on that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back