Alleviate Symptoms of Tinnitus
Nov 19, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #46 of 58
One thing i'll heartily recommend, even for those here that rarely go to concerts. Get some musicians earplugs, i've found that they are really worth it. Cost me 35 bucks here in Norway, but if you're in the US it'd be less probably. It's made concerts more enjoyable and if I know that I'm going somewhere noisy ill bring em along. They remove the more harmful parts of the spectrum so that you get less bass and less highs. Overall, a more balanced sound. Because of their special form of sound reduction you can still hear voices well. Just a tip to prevent more tinnitus.

It's these. Don't mean to advertise, but they work for me and i heartily recommend them.
MusicSafe SonicSet Pro

Nov 19, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #47 of 58
When I worked in printing we had special ear plugs made that are formed to each individuals ears. They inject some sort of foam into your ears and make a mold out of it and then a set of ear plugs that were clear and looked to made of silicon or something like that. They are far more comfortable and work better than any generic ear plugs.Only problem is that when I got out of printing I forgot to take them with me so no longer have them.

Someone up above said to me that antibiotics are for bacterial infections and not a virus. They treat viral infections with antibiotics too. It just has to be the right kind of antibiotic or else they are useless. Gonorrhea is a viral infection and is treated with penicillin.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #49 of 58
????

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I find cupping my ears for just a few seconds temporarily solves the ringing problem.

Nov 20, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #50 of 58
The thing is, if it relieves the problem, even if momentarily, then there has to be a causal mechanism. It's a matter of discovering what that causal mechanism and extending it's benefits.

Nov 20, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #51 of 58
in addition to listening to a reasonable sound level, another thing that i do to protect my hearing is to always carry either ear plugs or etymotic er20 plugs. whenever i go to a club or any other venue where i know i'll be exposed to very high sound levels, i'll pop them in. i no longer get ringing ears after a night out.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #54 of 58
My first post here, so Hi all.

It's only just pretty recently that I've started listening to good headphones with any degree of regularity. I'm loving it, but have been concerned about hearing loss and tinnitus. As a result, I've been reading around on it and came across this thread.

At 41yrs of age, I already have mild tinnitus appreciated only when in a quiet room and listening out for it. I wonder if this is really clinical tinnitus vs a ringing that you hear if you really listen for it. Apparently (according to one resource I read) the brain likes to hear something and will settle for a ringing sound in absolute silence.

As to what is a good sound level? I've found using my son a good yardstick. When I started listening to my Sennheisers, I would give my son a listen and he'd ask me to turn it down. I now play at the levels he'd like. A tad lower than I'd want, but I'm growing accustomed to it.

Finally, Gonorrhoea is NOT a viral infection. It's very much bacterial and that's why antibiotics are used to treat it. Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses. Anti-virals are available these days and do help in some selected viral infections. However, the best thing to do for viral infections, as with tinnitus, is focusing on prevention ... vaccines and avoiding exposure.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #55 of 58
My headphones just broke so I was doing some searching on the forum for recommendations for people with tinnitus. I stumbled on this thread and was happy to see that this technique worked for me! It's temporary but nice to be able to have a little peace. Thanks for the great find. I have had tinnitus for probably 8 years and I'll do my best to try and describe my best method for temporary relief.

This works best at night for me when it's the most annoying. If I am in a quiet room I try to focus on the pitch of the ringing. In my mind I try and gradually reduce the pitch by thinking of the next "note" down from the current ringing pitch. I try and imagine reducing the ringing to the pitch I'm thinking of. I can usually continue to step it down until it's not really even ringing anymore and is more of a hiss. It takes a lot of concentration to do it and hold it there, but once you get the hang of it it will become easier. It's temporary relief along the lines of the head thumping. Hopefully that makes sense and will help someone!

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #56 of 58
Im probably weird, but i just cant manage to put my index vinger on my middle vinger and 'drum'
redface.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in addition to listening to a reasonable sound level, another thing that i do to protect my hearing is to always carry either ear plugs or etymotic er20 plugs. whenever i go to a club or any other venue where i know i'll be exposed to very high sound levels, i'll pop them in. i no longer get ringing ears after a night out.

I have a pair of ER20s too. Essential for listen to music at a loud venue, but also good to pop in when it gets too noisy anywhere. They dont muffle the sound like earplug, they just reduce the level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back