Alleviate Symptoms of Tinnitus
Nov 1, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good method, effectively exposes you to loud sounds to get your ears sensitivity down.

wouldn't blasting your headphone or speakers do the same thing?
confused.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #17 of 58
This helped a little, but the one thing that really helped me was thinking about it not as a curse but something i have to live with, which might not sound much different. But it works, I try to stress less, I try not to be irritated by it. And i take extra good care not to listen to music at high volume or at concerts i go to the back if it's too loud. It helps though, reading about it here and knowing others have it the same way. It really does help.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #18 of 58
Holy Crap, Batman! I just took a pop of melatonin and the ringing has literally disappeared! Now, I can hear the buzz from my speakers, and the ring of the fluorescent lamp above ringing. Crazy.

What works (in order of effectiveness):

1. melatonin

2. back of the head tapping

3. temple rubbing

For the first time in WEEKS, I am actually stress free right now.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #20 of 58
Melatonin is non-prescription. It is usually taken as a sleep aid, which is why it might relieve tinnitus symptoms. After a good night's sleep, sometimes tinnitus will temporarily improve.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #21 of 58
I think my tinnitus is related to TMJ stress since I clench my teeth a lot. I can also hear it flare up when I clench my jaw on purpose. I'm going to try Melatonin at least once to see if it helps.

I tried the finger tapping technique, tinnitus goes away for about 3 minutes and comes back strong right afterwards.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kansei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my tinnitus is related to TMJ stress since I clench my teeth a lot. I can also hear it flare up when I clench my jaw on purpose. I'm going to try Melatonin at least once to see if it helps.

I tried the finger tapping technique, tinnitus goes away for about 3 minutes and comes back strong right afterwards.

I have very mild tinnitus that I know is due to clenching my teeth while sleeping. I have done this for years, and it is largely relieved by wearing a nightguard, which is good for your teeth as well.

I occasionally take melatonin when traveling overseas for work, and this is NOT something anyone should do on a regular basis, and it's a bad idea as a Tinnitus "cure". Once in a while, OK, but you can get hooked, and then you will have worse tinnitus because you won't be able to sleep
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:32 AM Post #23 of 58
Yeah, as someone said, over the counter. Very inexpensive at Costco. Here's a webmd link on melatonin:

Melatonin Pills May Help Ease Tinnitus

I have not encountered any evidence to suggest that melatonin as a supplement leads to addiction or dependence in any way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morinoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello nuphones, is melatonin an over the counter drug, or do i need a prescription?

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #24 of 58
I have two tips that worked for me:
A: Don't listen to your headphones too loud (My measure is if I can feel the drivers moving on my head from the sound) and
B: If you are using any type of EARphones then stop immediately. It completely fixed all of my hearing problems after a month or two. Headphones are fine for me though. My hearing problems were ear infections, blood in earwax, sharply reduced hearing range (20-7500Hz) and tinnitus.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #25 of 58
My wife has tinnitus, and she uses a simple relaxing technique that was posted here at HeadFi, some time ago. It works something like this:

Put on your headphones, and adjust the volume so that it is several notches lower than your usual listening volume. Lay back and relax. Within a few minutes, the volume will seem to "increase" all by itself. Your ears will adjust to the lower volume and you shouldn't feel the need to increase the volume.

Speculation on this method, was that your sensitivity increases naturally and the lower volume doesn't add to the problem. I have watched her do this many times, and it has always helped her enjoy her music.

Even the folks who don't have tinnitus, should give this a try. The overall effect/advantage, is getting more volume without raising the output.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #26 of 58
@Penchum: I have found this technique as well, and it works for me also. I find that I don't notice the tinnitus this way, while it seems to compete with the music at a higher volume.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by baneat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two tips that worked for me:
A: Don't listen to your headphones too loud (My measure is if I can feel the drivers moving on my head from the sound)

Holy cow! Just how loud did you listen?

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #28 of 58
I am hearing less "extraneous" noises than before. I believe this coincides with several factors.

First, I am supplementing. All of the following are supposed to alleviate symptoms:

1 vitamin a and e (a in beta carotene form)
2. gingko biloba
3. melatonin
4. magnesium

I am avoiding zinc as a supplement since it can accumulate at toxic levels; highly unlikely with the other supplements.

Second, I am exercising again.

I am actually having a hard time hearing "extraneous" noises, even in quiet environments now.

Nov 16, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #29 of 58
Baneat, if i was you i'd be worried 0___0

That's some serious volume :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back