allesandro vs grado?
Jan 2, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm almost 100% sure it is the same company. It has to be, considering how identical the headphones look. I guess they got bored and introduced new sets of headphones that are similar looking but sound differently. Probably for marketing reasons

Jan 2, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 19
John grado ( the current owner of grado labs) and Alessendro together designed the Alessendro music series headphones. They are a more natural verison of the grado counter parts.
Ms-1 = it's like a sr-80 or sr-125 ( kind of like in the middle)
Ms-2 = more natural sr-325
Ms-pro = simlar to the Rs-1, but different

Jan 2, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 19
Not the same company. That's why the big Alessandro High-End Products along with Grado Labs have combined their design capabilities to create a new line of headphones line. They are in essencent real Grados, but Alessandro is a different company and their involvement introduces a few changes, such as the much discussed more neutral sound. Common line is... Grados for musicians.

Jan 2, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 19
O sorry for the mistake then. Guess I have to start doing research before posting
rolleyes.gif

Jan 2, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #7 of 19
According to John Grado, the Allesandros are "tweaked to be more analytical."
Quote:

Ms-pro = more natural/ little bit layed back Rs-1

Having both, I don't find this to be the case at all. I would say the MS Pros tend toward more neutrality, not necessarily "more natural." And, to my ears at least, they are definitely not more laid back than the RS-1s. They seem to lack the thick lower mid/ upper bass bump of the RS-1, which some may find gives the MS Pros a more forward presentation, not a more laid back one. Just my opinion, of course.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

Having both, I don't find this to be the case at all. I would say the MS Pros tend toward more neutrality, not necessarily "more natural." And, to my ears at least, they are definitely not more laid back than the RS-1s. They seem to lack the thick lower mid/ upper bass bump of the RS-1, which some may find gives the MS Pros a more forward presentation, not a more laid back one. Just my opinion, of course.
biggrin.gif

The ms-pro is the only grado or alessandro made headphone I haven't heard :p. I'll change my post.

Jan 2, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
smily_headphones1.gif
the ms-pro is the only grado or alessandro I haven't heard :p. I'll change my post.

See that's what happens when you give opinions about headphones that you never heard.

Just stick to what you know, your posts are more helpful that way.

Just a tip
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2004 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
See that's what happens when you give opinions about headphones that you never heard.

Just stick to what you know, your posts are more helpful that way.

Just a tip
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
will do.

Jan 2, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 19
Soundwise the alessandros are less agressive (IMO) than grados. They're better for live vocal and acoustic, although they can be used all-round. I've only used the Ms1 and the sr-325, but I noticed a few differences. The sr-325 was more colored in comparison, and was very quick-sounding. The ms1, albeit lower-end in comparison, had an addictive naturality and neutrality. Voices and instruments seemed somewhat imperfect (discolored), as they would/should sound in real life. The human voice is never truly balanced or colored when heard live. I've haven't heard the higher-end ones yet, but the user's taste in music defines which line of phone to use. I assume each equivalent pair (i.e. Ms2 & sr-325) of each line would be great compliments to each other if the user's tastes vary from time to time. Just an opinion.

Jan 2, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Soundwise the alessandros are less agressive (IMO) than grados..... I've only used the Ms1 and the sr-325....

Sorry, but saying that Allesandros are "less aggressive than Grados" based simply on a comparison of the MS-1 and a Grado SR-325 doesn't really hold much water (IMHO). Hell......pretty much any headphone on the planet sounds "less aggressive" than the SR-325.
eek.gif

Quote:

...the user's taste in music defines which line of phone to use.

Agreed! Add to that "user's mood" as well, and you've discovered why many here have so many damned headphones.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Just an opinion. I'm no expert or anything, just saying a few words. Don't hurt me
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

biggrin.gif

Joe... do you think M. S. Pro has more details and is more resolving than RS-1?

Jan 2, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 19
Having compared both the MS-2 to the SR325, I would say that the MS2 sounded cleaner to me aka not as warm. The MS2 sounded more balanced (highs, mids, lows) to my ears than the SR325. That said, they still sound like Grados
smily_headphones1.gif
If you wish that the 325's were a bit more tighter then the MS2 are the headphones for you. They both are just as forward and can sound just as bright if you have a sub par system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back