All things Metrum Acoustics
Nov 16, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,126 of 1,451
I agree but Onyx is an older model among those 3 so I thought Denafrips will outmatch it.
Do you mind to share their differences? I only have owned Ares 2 before.
Compared to Ares II 'claimed' NOS mode, I've found the Amethyst, with DAC3, to be somewhat more impactful, but also more 'essy'. Soundstage is fractionally wider, about the same depth (if I recall correctly), but not quite as tall as that in Ares. Comparison based on SE outputs, feeding Stax SRM-006tS and listening via SR-L700mkII. By far the biggest difference, in my personal experience, is build quality, with Ares being significantly better.

Nov 16, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #1,127 of 1,451
Compared to Ares II 'claimed' NOS mode, I've found the Amethyst, with DAC3, to be somewhat more impactful, but also more 'essy'. Soundstage is fractionally wider, about the same depth (if I recall correctly), but not quite as tall as that in Ares. Comparison based on SE outputs, feeding Stax SRM-006tS and listening via SR-L700mkII. By far the biggest difference, in my personal experience, is build quality, with Ares being significantly better.
Your comparison between NOS Ares 2 and Amethyst is similar to how I'd compare NOS Ares 2 to OS Ares 2. So, this makes me think Amethyst with DAC3 will sound like OS Ares 2. From memory, DAC2 Amethyst is a more boring version of NOS Ares 2.

Nov 17, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,128 of 1,451
Your comparison between NOS Ares 2 and Amethyst is similar to how I'd compare NOS Ares 2 to OS Ares 2. So, this makes me think Amethyst with DAC3 will sound like OS Ares 2. From memory, DAC2 Amethyst is a more boring version of NOS Ares 2.
It's definitely that direction of travel, but if anything, I'd say Amethyst + DAC3 goes a bit further still. It's like an HD Ares II.

Mar 15, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #1,129 of 1,451
I'm probably very late to the DAC3 party, but I just received them for my Onyx over the weekend. Have been running the unit for 10hrs everyday. Compared to the DAC2, DAC3 obviously has quite different sound character, and so not really a direct upgrade it seems. The sound of DAC3 is more spacious, a bit more detailed, more refined in a way, but the sound is less dense compared to DAC2, which is like one of the most identifiable house sound of Metrum. I'm happy that it brings out better technicality, but also a bit sad that the "flavor" is lessened, if that makes sense.

Mar 15, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #1,131 of 1,451
I'm probably very late to the DAC3 party, ...

Thank you for this analysis - very helpful for someone like me who is very uncertain about the DAC2->DAC3 upgrade. I think I might stick with DAC2 for now. I bought an R2R NOS DAC for the sonic flavour that it brings - if I wanted straight technical performance I would have bought a competent delta-sigma DAC at half the price (or less).

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #1,133 of 1,451
Wanted to know if anyone has used their iPad/iPhone or iOS-based source on their Metrum.
If so, what softwared did you use to make the iPhone/iPad recognize the Metrum?
I have the Metrum Hex.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The best way for my all Apple household is to use the iPHone / iPad to stream losslessly to an Airport Express or the older Apple TV both of which have optical out (3.5 mm Jack on Airport Express bundles optical out)

One gets super convenient Lossless streaming that’s rock solid, and the best thing is no noisy usb in the entire chain.

Mar 16, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #1,135 of 1,451
The best way for my all Apple household is to use the iPHone / iPad to stream losslessly to an Airport Express or the older Apple TV both of which have optical out (3.5 mm Jack on Airport Express bundles optical out)

One gets super convenient Lossless streaming that’s rock solid, and the best thing is no noisy usb in the entire chain.
I guess Apple TV upsample redbook 16/44.1kHz to 24/48Khz. Please do check that if you want bitperfect lossless.

Direct IPhone and IPad will provide bitperfect but the USB of iPhone and iPAd are EMI/ RFI prone.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #1,136 of 1,451
Yes it’s the way for me prefer it over cables. Zero USB with its noise in path!
My suggestion would be get Digione signature with Allo Shanti and get rid of USB or get any DDC like Singxer SU6 or Gustard U18 and pair it with Pi4 with LPS. Anyways for Metrum DACs, it’s always better to use SPDIF over USB

Mar 23, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #1,137 of 1,451
I bought an R2R NOS DAC for the sonic flavour that it brings - if I wanted straight technical performance I would have bought a competent delta-sigma DAC at half the price (or less).
Nicely put. And I agree

Apr 30, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #1,138 of 1,451
I'm probably very late to the DAC3 party, but I just received them for my Onyx over the weekend. Have been running the unit for 10hrs everyday. Compared to the DAC2, DAC3 obviously has quite different sound character, and so not really a direct upgrade it seems. The sound of DAC3 is more spacious, a bit more detailed, more refined in a way, but the sound is less dense compared to DAC2, which is like one of the most identifiable house sound of Metrum. I'm happy that it brings out better technicality, but also a bit sad that the "flavor" is lessened, if that makes sense.
Hi @LevPush , I am very curious about your longtime experiences with the DAC3 modules.
Are you still missing the Metrum 'flavor'? How would you describe the sound after months of playing with the new modules?

May 31, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,140 of 1,451
Looks like 200mA - Pic I had on hand.

Attachments

• Ambre 115v 230v switch.JPG
    Ambre 115v 230v switch.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back