All things Metrum Acoustics
May 24, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #1,081 of 1,451
Hi Guys,

I came across a 2hand metrum Aurix. Is it still a great buy in 2021?

Yes.

I own a black one; excellent. However, I have since bought a THX AAA 789 that is just miles better. So perhaps go for the THX. An incredible HPA.

May 24, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,082 of 1,451
What's the cost of the dac3 for the pavane?

Lots. Not sure I will bother doing the upgrade on my Adagio based upon that comparison video posted above. I can't hear much of a difference at all. Not the best medium to judge though to be fair...

May 25, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,083 of 1,451
IMO the upgrade is well worth it due to the improved depth and width of stage and imaging and the even more organic sound, yet I would also want to audition the modules when owning a Pavane or Adagio...there is a return policy if I'm not wrong, you can audition and then decide what to send back, the DAC2 modules or the DAC 3 modules.

May 26, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,084 of 1,451
Yes.

I own a black one; excellent. However, I have since bought a THX AAA 789 that is just miles better. So perhaps go for the THX. An incredible HPA.
My THX 887 made me really think about why high end amps even exist. It was also a bit of the reason why i now sold my Pavane because i felt strange running a 5k dac in a 400 bucks amp. Now looking for a more cost efficient dac too. Combo was nice though because THX is on the harder side and Pavane on the softer.

May 29, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,086 of 1,451
Hi Metrum owners!

I do not want to talk badly in any way about Metrum's new DAC3 modules,
I understand that all of us audiophiles have different tastes, some like analytical sound, others a little warmer sound.

What I write below is what we personally thought about DAC2 vs DAC3,
I encourage everyone who is thinking of buying the DAC3 modules to do so and test to form their own opinion..

unfortunately the modules were not our cup of tea.

We are three hifi friends who all own Pavane L3 and Adagio.
I only listen through speakers, my other two friends mostly listen to Stax electrostatic headphones (OMEGA)
we all three ordered the new DAC3 modules.

before we critically start listening, we let the new modules burn in for several days.
My modules had been running for more than two weeks. 24/7
we listened to each other's stereo systems to get as nuanced a "picture" as possible.
This is what all three of us thought about the sound:

The DAC 3 modules presents a large soundstage with a lot of microdetail with warmth and a improved bass responce, but is lacking in the lower midrange.
Voices sound thin and the sound can sometimes sound a bit harsch. we all three really missed the lush midrange from the DAC 2 modules.

Similar to the difference between a pure copper cable vs. a silver plated one. DAC2 sounds more copper, and DAC3 more in the silver direction.
yes .. it's hard to describe. but you probably understand what I mean.

neither of us decided to keep DAC3

however it was worth testing the new modules, because it is difficult to just read in forums what others think, you have to test yourself to get an idea

May 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #1,087 of 1,451
Hi Metrum owners!

I do not want to talk badly in any way about Metrum's new DAC3 modules,
I understand that all of us audiophiles have different tastes, some like analytical sound, others a little warmer sound.

What I write below is what we personally thought about DAC2 vs DAC3,
I encourage everyone who is thinking of buying the DAC3 modules to do so and test to form their own opinion..

unfortunately the modules were not our cup of tea.

We are three hifi friends who all own Pavane L3 and Adagio.
I only listen through speakers, my other two friends mostly listen to Stax electrostatic headphones (OMEGA)
we all three ordered the new DAC3 modules.

before we critically start listening, we let the new modules burn in for several days.
My modules had been running for more than two weeks. 24/7
we listened to each other's stereo systems to get as nuanced a "picture" as possible.
This is what all three of us thought about the sound:

The DAC 3 modules presents a large soundstage with a lot of microdetail with warmth and a improved bass responce, but is lacking in the lower midrange.
Voices sound thin and the sound can sometimes sound a bit harsch. we all three really missed the lush midrange from the DAC 2 modules.

Similar to the difference between a pure copper cable vs. a silver plated one. DAC2 sounds more copper, and DAC3 more in the silver direction.
yes .. it's hard to describe. but you probably understand what I mean.

neither of us decided to keep DAC3

however it was worth testing the new modules, because it is difficult to just read in forums what others think, you have to test yourself to get an idea
Great report!! On a side topic, is there a difference in sound between pavane L3 and adagio if you use only the DAC (not the preamp)?

May 30, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #1,089 of 1,451
Well one thing that I have learnt in this hobby is if something is not broken then don’t fix it. May be you are happy with how Pavane sound and DAC3 brings about the change that you are not looking for.

May 30, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,090 of 1,451
While it is true that we can become accustomed to the sound of our systems, most audiophiles in my experience are thrilled to discover nuances and additional information able to be recovered in their favorite music. Once such changes are heard in their own systems rarely can they go back to listening to their previous reference without incorporating the latest improvements allowing them to hear more deeply into the musical performances. The exception would be if the resultant sound is now thought to take things too far to the analytical side at the sacrifice of its musicality.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #1,091 of 1,451
I'm still tempted to order a set of DAC3 modules for my Flint.

Never got a response back from Metrum as to why they say "not recommended" and now their site shows DAC2 trade-in ends June 30.

Anyone close to Metrum (or who communicated with them recently) know if the trade-in must be received by June 30 or is that the deadline to place orders that will be eligible for the trade-in?

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #1,092 of 1,451
I believe that the Flint board isn't "plumbed" to take advantage of the DAC3 architechture, and that is why it isn't recommended. I think they upgraded elements of the design for this future expansion on the Amethyst, and anything higher.

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #1,093 of 1,451
I believe that the Flint board isn't "plumbed" to take advantage of the DAC3 architechture, and that is why it isn't recommended. I think they upgraded elements of the design for this future expansion on the Amethyst, and anything higher.

Thought that might be why with them doubling the number of resistor ladders per module (afaik).

Also possible because two DAC3 modules cost almost as much as the Flint itself but can't imagine them turning down money for upgrades.

However, not recommended doesn't mean incompatible and still curious whether I'd hear any improvements.

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,094 of 1,451
If the Flint is anywhere near decently built it should make for a nice improvement in SQ, as with the Amethyst Flint is using 2 modules...big question is; will it work?

I suggest you try to connect with the team during daytime (CET) and ask the question, emailing is still a crap shoot.

Jun 16, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #1,095 of 1,451
I'm still tempted to order a set of DAC3 modules for my Flint.

Never got a response back from Metrum as to why they say "not recommended" and now their site shows DAC2 trade-in ends June 30.

The ‘plumbing’ is the issue. There’s a lot more processing going on with Dac3 and little Flint struggles to power things properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back