All things Metrum Acoustics
May 18, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #1,068 of 1,451
Have DAC3 modules in my Onyx now since yesterday.
The stage extended and resolution increased, more details are revealed. To me the soundscape feels more "complete" ā€“ have the feeling that it is more "homogeneous" and that "gaps" in the stage are filled nowā€¦ Don't know how to describe better.
Looking forward to the next daysā€¦

May 19, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,071 of 1,451
you'd be surprised how good you can hear differences on YT , I was a sceptic for long but no longer...gives a great sense of what is going on, IRL the nuances are larger and difference clearer but still!

May 20, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #1,073 of 1,451
Whilst I agree that most Youtube demos are completely pointless, the Alpha Audio guys are on another level. I've been following their channel for a while and their recording setup genuinely shows differences in components imho. Also, they often share the lossless flac files with their viewers so you can sidestep the Youtube compression.

May 20, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #1,074 of 1,451
Have DAC3 modules in my Onyx now since yesterday.
The stage extended and resolution increased, more details are revealed. To me the soundscape feels more "complete" ā€“ have the feeling that it is more "homogeneous" and that "gaps" in the stage are filled nowā€¦ Don't know how to describe better.
Looking forward to the next daysā€¦
Thank you. Did the tonal balance change? Did the Onyx became brighter for example? Considering DAC3 upgrade for my Onyx as well but I donā€™t like bright or harsh sound so I want to make sure the DAC3 is not more analyticalā€¦

May 20, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,076 of 1,451
Thank you. Did the tonal balance change? Did the Onyx became brighter for example? Considering DAC3 upgrade for my Onyx as well but I donā€™t like bright or harsh sound so I want to make sure the DAC3 is not more analyticalā€¦
ā€¦have the feeling that it's still a bit too early to say that as sound really changes with every day. My observations so far:
I'm now in day four and sound is a bit more analytic for me compared to DAC2 but without being harsh - it's revealing more information, somehow presented in a more relaxed and coherent way. I would put the term "analytical" in a positive sense here.
At the beginning sound seemed a little lighter and brighter but this changed in the last days towards "warmer". So I think still some burn in neededā€¦

May 20, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #1,079 of 1,451
What's the cost of the dac3 for the pavane?
8 chips for the Pavane = 8x200 EUR (approx) = 1,600 EUR. Plus any shipping costs and whatever import taxes might be applicable in your part of the world. Potentially less the refund for returned DAC2 modules (8x50 EUR). So, best case, 1,600 - 400 + shipping + tax. 1,200 EUR minimum.

May 21, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #1,080 of 1,451
Hi Guys,

I came across a 2hand metrum Aurix. Is it still a great buy in 2021?
Aurix should be good buying as price no doubt dropped considerably. Iā€™m biased of course but would describe sound as completely neutral/uncoloured as with any Passive. Pairs v well with HD800ā€™s, T1ā€™s, Gradoā€™s, Eikons and Nighthawks that Iā€™ve owned. Anyone with Onyx/Jade etc. utilising jumper swaps to increase voltage output might like to try it.

Astrostar59 on the Aurix thread reported with a ā€œKassandra DAC which has 10v SE output. WOW is all I can say, this little amps kicks arse big time !ā€ Was surprised it did not blow up so checked with Cees and told Aurix indestructible - as the design is not a conventional Amp.

Attachments

• Pavane L3 Aurix Baby Ambre.JPG
    Pavane L3 Aurix Baby Ambre.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back