All things Metrum Acoustics
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #946 of 1,451
Just to let everyone know Cees hasn’t jumped ship and although info slow in coming should be sorted soon. Events have caused some delays and obviously he’s working on other things too but attention to M is now top of the to-do list. Expect news (clarity) in coming weeks.

Can say yes he’s involved with development of DAC3 – it would be odd if not really and definitely not M2Tech as mentioned earlier in thread.

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #947 of 1,451
Thanks for that insight! I have faith in him, and was trying to get an update today, yet have not gotten a response. This makes sense, for me there is no rush anyhow, although curiosity is increasing!

Mar 17, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #948 of 1,451
Ha – one thing I would ask please is not to bombard his mail-box. It’s been a bumpy ride over the last few years for everyone. A year ago he was in competition with himself so amalgamation a bit of a headache. Add in work on several products during and a bit of a workload. I think most will be happy with end results though.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #950 of 1,451
Some interesting background info on the Metrum / Sonnet & Acalec goings-on in the preview DAC review on 6moons: https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/sonnet2/

Thanks for that. I find the content of that link worrying. If, as suggested, the plan is for Metrum to produce only 'all in one' solutions, does that mean their current line of products will be no more? If that is the case, what does that do to the resale of current Metrum products on the used market? I presume prices will fall through the floor...

I look forward to the release of more information and a road map in due course, but I do hope that, whatever happens, Metrum are very careful not to **** over existing customers. If the Metrum components I have won't be upgraded to keep pace with Sonnet components, and I can't sell what I have to move brands without losing thousands of pounds, then don't think for a second I'll be buying Sonnet. You need to play this very carefully...

@BlackMagic

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #951 of 1,451
Don't you think that having the Morpheus in the market @3500 euro is not a great incentive to buy a used Pavane, those run around that price point? (especially if it turns out the Morpheus is already using the DAC 3 modules)

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #952 of 1,451
Don't you think that having the Morpheus in the market @3500 euro is not a great incentive to buy a used Pavane, those run around that price point? (especially if it turns out the Morpheus is already using the DAC 3 modules)

I can see your point. Buy used then upgrade the modules perhaps? Fair enough.

How do you even begin to price Metrum for used sale? I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for mine. I wouldn't know what the used market would support; it isn't as though Metrum owners sell every 5 mins.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #953 of 1,451
Metrum is okay, it does sound very good but poor bang for the buck. Not terribly accurate. I would like someone to compare them against Teac offerings (especially the new one that can do NOS)
I own the TEAC UD-505 and used to own the Musette. I have not owned the higher end Metrum DACs, but really liked the Musette. The UD-505 is on another level. Mostly because of the clocking and the upconverting. The UD-505 keeps my music flowing in a more organized way. It simply presents more detail and air. However, I loved owning a Musette and would think that the higher end Metrum DACs deal with time a bit better.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #954 of 1,451
Biggest problem is that R2R is a niche market, and Metrum is likely a niche within that niche. They DO have a pretty good reputation though, so it's likely a matter of time and feeling your way down the price range if there are no takers.

Mar 22, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #955 of 1,451
I own the TEAC UD-505 and used to own the Musette. I have not owned the higher end Metrum DACs, but really liked the Musette. The UD-505 is on another level. Mostly because of the clocking and the upconverting. The UD-505 keeps my music flowing in a more organized way. It simply presents more detail and air. However, I loved owning a Musette and would think that the higher end Metrum DACs deal with time a bit better.
impressive necrotomy :smile:

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #957 of 1,451
The article quotes “to fully support Metrum most important to existing customers …” etc. All products have a finite life - Octave/Hex were superseded. They are still popular though like any other Brand’s older models.

Cees looked into product life cycles many years ago and the average was 1.5 years. Mainstream new models come out every year. Looking on the bright side Adagio is now over 4 years old and not sent packing by Morph which most agree - just a bit better.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #958 of 1,451
Yet there is a major difference, list price for the Morpheus is 3.5K Euro, for the Adagio 5.2K Euro, 4.7K for a Pavane. Can it be that Cees started to compete with Metrum through Sonnet, has since gained back Metrum and now is his own competition?

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #959 of 1,451
Yet there is a major difference, list price for the Morpheus is 3.5K Euro, for the Adagio 5.2K Euro, 4.7K for a Pavane. Can it be that Cees started to compete with Metrum through Sonnet, has since gained back Metrum and now is his own competition?

I agree that's a huge problem. Because what that says to me is that my Adagio is now worth less than the cost of Morpheus. Adagio should ALWAYS perform better than Morpheus or why should anyone pay £2000 more? Makes zero sense.

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #960 of 1,451
I agree that's a huge problem. Because what that says to me is that my Adagio is now worth less than the cost of Morpheus. Adagio should ALWAYS perform better than Morpheus or why should anyone pay £2000 more? Makes zero sense.
I'm a bit confused. With Cees going back to Metrum, does Sonnet cease to exist? Or does he have competing brands with products of varying price points and performance levels? I agree to what is said above. That would be a huge problem if the Adagio and Pavane are less than the Morpheus in performance, but a higher cost. The exact opposite of a price/performance ratio. When I saw Sonnet's Morpheus for the first time I assumed Cees was trying to stick it to Metrum with the same or better technology at a significantly better price. Now that he is back, I am honestly confused as to how this works and should play out. If I owned a Pavane or Adagio I would feel a bit duped. I am in the market for a new DAC and have always wanted a Morpheus or Pavane. Now, not so sure what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back