All things Metrum Acoustics
Jan 10, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #496 of 1,451
Thank you for all the advice rendered to me so far..

Last few questions before I pull the trigger..

Would a metrum onyx suffice?
If the Pavane was say for eg 100points, how good would the Onyx be?

If I just wanted a taste of the r2r sound but didn't want to lay out so much initially, would a second hand Flint, or even the Airist r2r be a good representation?

Soekris and Denafrips are also on the radar. The Terminator is roughly on the same price range as the Pavane, and have comparable priced other models too, and I have a local distributor here in Singapore.
I usually take my hpa4 to audio shops/meets to test different DACs. If you planning to invest big in DACs like pavane then why don't you try different NOS DACs including tube based which I think are easily available for demo especially at 2ch stores (eg. Adelphi). If I am in your shoes I will gladly pack hpa4 & abyss TC & demo the hell out of different DACs. YMMV. Happy hunting.:smile_phones:

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #498 of 1,451
I have been writing several email directly to Wouter and via their homepage, and they do not respond. Called them twice on the phone this week, but no serious response yet. Requested money back through PayPal weeks ago. Started a PayPal file and claim today..

Paypal came through previously so hopefully your claim will too. Working with a ‘trusted’ Dealer would be my suggestion to anyone contemplating … confirm they will offer support if needed - although that has already been covered in the thread. Products speak (sing) for themselves so on that front no issues.

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #499 of 1,451
Wouter offered me a return without costs (email), their homepage offers a 30 days trial, and they've been in the market for years, so I considered Metrum to be trustworthy. I call that very bad singing..
We'll see what PayPal can do

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #500 of 1,451
they've been in the market for years, so I considered Metrum to be trustworthy. bad singing..
It depends on which "they" you're referring to... Metrum was sold to a different outfit recently, and the management and personnel have all changed. The folks you deal with now are not the same as those who were in charge before Summer of 2018. A lot seems to have changed there since then (Summer 2018), especially in the area customer service relations, and related ethics. I do not fully understand what foot the new owners and management are trying to put forward, so I am not judging. Still, it is not safe to assume that management and customer service relations there are the same today, as they were 2 years ago. That is why the idea that they have been in the market for years does not have to be taken strictly at face value, as it could be misleading. Just saying...

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #501 of 1,451
Wouter offered me a return without costs (email), their homepage offers a 30 days trial, and they've been in the market for years, so I considered Metrum to be trustworthy. I call that very bad singing..

Your post prompted me to speak up (for the sake of others) - as an MOT I can’t say what I would like to (would have done so some time back). I feel for you and hope things work out OK – you have every right to be pissed off. Which again is why I’ve commented with suggestion for those interested in this forum. No help to you of course and believe me when I say I’m not (personally) singing either. There is a distinction as pointed out in the above, between the new management and products themselves. Hope things work out.

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #502 of 1,451
It depends on which "they" you're referring to... Metrum was sold to a different outfit recently, and the management and personnel have all changed. The folks you deal with now are not the same as those who were in charge before Summer of 2018. A lot seems to have changed there since then (Summer 2018), especially in the area customer service relations, and related ethics. I do not fully understand what foot the new owners and management are trying to put forward, so I am not judging. Still, it is not safe to assume that management and customer service relations there are the same today, as they were 2 years ago. That is why the idea that they have been in the market for years does not have to be taken strictly at face value, as it could be misleading. Just saying...

Agree on most what you've stated, but nothing at all can be taken strictly. I felt secure because of the two confirmed full refund offers, a PayPal payment AND the fact, that Metrum was a well known supplier of high-end dacs...

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #503 of 1,451
Your post prompted me to speak up (for the sake of others) - as an MOT I can’t say what I would like to (would have done so some time back). I feel for you and hope things work out OK – you have every right to be pissed off. Which again is why I’ve commented with suggestion for those interested in this forum. No help to you of course and believe me when I say I’m not (personally) singing either. There is a distinction as pointed out in the above, between the new management and products themselves. Hope things work out.

Thanks a lot, I think I get your points :thumbsup:

Jan 10, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #504 of 1,451
Agree on most what you've stated, but nothing at all can be taken strictly. I felt secure because of the two confirmed full refund offers, a PayPal payment AND the fact, that Metrum was a well known supplier of high-end dacs...
It may not have come out clearly in my earlier post, but I was speaking in complete sympathy with your cause, and not defending the new owners by any means at all. If anything, it is the integrity, the craftsmanship and professionalism of the pre-Summer 2018 Management, which I was attempting, implicitly, to defend, since I am much more familiar with their business/professional ethics, which do not appear to be similar to those of the new owners. I think you should proceed full ahead in working with paypal or your credit card company to get .your refund back, and wish that happens quickly and expeditiously.

Jan 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #505 of 1,451
From my own experience (post-summer 2018), Metrum Acoustics' behavior is fraudulent at its best - prompt communication with promise of a quick and full refund but magically disappeared into the thin air once the item was successfully shipped back to them.

It remains a mystery why they could still remain in business and why people would still want to buy from them.

Seems like they have been exploiting and extracting whatever goodwill that was left behind by the previous team.

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #507 of 1,451
Just found this on Trustpilot

"Bad return service.

I had bought a metrum flint, it had arrived defectively. They immediately sent another one. For the purchase they were very helpful and fast communication.

After 2 weeks I mail that the dac is not to my liking and that I wish to use my 14 day return period. I received instructions to return the dac. Upon arrival of the package mailed whether they had received it, arrived well. I assume that I will receive my paypal refund.
A week later emailed twice where my money remains, and get the reaction that the money will be refunded as soon as possible.
A week later emailed back if they can do the refund, no answer.
Then I started a paypal claim (2 weeks after return arrival), 15 minutes later the money was refunded !!! By the way, no apologies or anything else.

Conclusion: Very unpleasant return experience and long live the good service from Paypal

Very dissapointed, this is unacceptable, I really did not expect this from a company with a good reputation, really incredible."

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #508 of 1,451
Just to finish my case with Metrum, this mail just came in:

"
Dear Thomas Højberg,

Because we were unable to obtain additional information from All Engineering regarding your claim, this case has been resolved in your favor and you have received a refund of 3.000,00 EUR. If you paid with a credit card, the money is refunded to your credit card. Please note that it can take up to 30 days for the refund to appear on your card statement.

Transaction Details

Case number: PP-D-52037235

Seller's name: All Engineering

Seller's email: paypal@metrum-acoustics.nl

Seller's transaction ID: 7PX201381V4987245

Transaction date: 26 October 2019

Transaction amount: 3.000,00 EUR

Your transaction ID: 5WK37502GS6348609

Sincerely,

PayPal"

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #510 of 1,451
I feel like I dodged a bullet here..

Messaged Metrum about the Onyx and Pavane and they took so long to reply. I then messaged them again about placing an order, but they never replied, nor did they read my message (on fb messenger) .. So I decided to just order a Holo Spring 2 dac instead. They replied a few days after I put the order for the Holo.

*phew..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back