All things Metrum Acoustics
Feb 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #76 of 1,451
This sounds a whole lot like general comments of listeners who move from OS to NOS.

I personally don't think I have issue using either OS or NOS. For example, I was able to compare Gumby against Amethyst, and preferred the Gumby. I tried to listen for brightness or anything that would tire me, but heard none of through the Gumby. However, the Yggy is brighter and more dynamic - relatively speaking. I used it because it provided a slight higher reference for detail retrieval. However through the better headphones and amplifiers, I am preferring the Onyx.

So slight though - so small are the deltas, I would recommend a listen before plunking down the cash for an Onyx. Perhaps your DAC-2000 is your optimal balance of details and warmth that you need?
DAC-2000 really works well for me and opened my eyes to NOS DACs. For a vintage DAC, I think it sounds just as good as most DACs today (under $1000). There is no way for me to listen to an Onyx. From the reviews I have read, I have decided to take a chance and go for the Onyx. Plus, there was a special price that was available and I did not want to miss out on it. Once the Onyx arrives, I will just sell the DAC-2000. If anyone is interested in buying my DAC-2000 please PM me.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #77 of 1,451
DAC-2000 really works well for me and opened my eyes to NOS DACs. For a vintage DAC, I think it sounds just as good as most DACs today (under $1000). There is no way for me to listen to an Onyx. From the reviews I have read, I have decided to take a chance and go for the Onyx. Plus, there was a special price that was available and I did not want to miss out on it. Once the Onyx arrives, I will just sell the DAC-2000. If anyone is interested in buying my DAC-2000 please PM me.
I don't think you'll regret it. I studied the DAC 2000 a bit, I guess it used one module to decode and it was a 20 bit module, so good for 16/44.1, the Onyx has 2 DAC2 modules per channel, each of which has 2 16 bit ladders if I recall correctly, so basically 4 ladders per channel, and it can decode upto 24/384 khz so good for cds as well as high res. Additionally I think that design translates to more clarity, instrumental separation, less noise and greater channel separation compared the Parasound.

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #78 of 1,451
Hi, reaching out to Metrum owners, do you guys use any USB reclockers or USB/SPDIF converters like EITR, is there any audible improvement with Metrum dacs? It seems to me their USB implementation is very good, I'm just wondering.

Mar 2, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #79 of 1,451
Which Metrum are you using?

I used EITR in front of my Amethyst.

I did not, initially, feel I needed anything in front of my Onyx. However I just added a cleanup device today - preparing to use the USB from computer and COAX from a disc spinner, while at a meet.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #80 of 1,451
Hey, I use the Onyx. When I reached out to Metrum they mentioned they use optical isolation on USB, which I take to mean there's an optical converter at the input. Personally I think it sounds amazing, just wondering could it be even better.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #81 of 1,451
Hi, reaching out to Metrum owners, do you guys use any USB reclockers or USB/SPDIF converters like EITR, is there any audible improvement with Metrum dacs? It seems to me their USB implementation is very good, I'm just wondering.

I personally use the Schiit Eitr with the Metrum Acoustics Hex, and love it. I was initially using the Eitr with my Yggdrasil Gen 3, before sending the Yggy out for the USB 5 update. The Eitr was making my Yggy click too often during playback, but the clicking stopped when the Hex replaced the Yggy, which was strange, given the both Eitr and Yggy are Schiit products, and should ordinarily play nicer together than the Eitr/Hex combo... I do enjoy the sound of my Hex, although I should say that since all the new line of products came out (Menuet, pavane, onyx, etc. etc.) I am beginning to feel as if I am being left behind, mostly because I have no way of knowing anything about how the hex stacks up against those new ones. By the way,I have never used the USB input option on the Hex, so I cannot comment on how it compares with the Schiit eitr.

Mar 5, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #82 of 1,451
im using the JKSPDIF ciunas with the Metrum octave mainly because it is battery powered, so isolated from the mac and mains power for a very resonable price compared to the Audiophilleo + battery psu.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #83 of 1,451
Very happy with my Onyx. Originally I ordered the Amethyst from ZMF to get a sample of what the NOS sound was like, and I loved the sound compared to what I was used to with D/S DACs and the Bimby.

I was hopeful going in as I did figure what I’d heard about NOS DACs would play well with my treble sensitivity and the fatigue I’d felt from other DACs. Even still I was pleasantly surprised. So much so that I felt like I wanted to go a step further and try something a little higher end so that I would be totally satisfied and not really interested in upgrading.

I can’t see myself moving on from the Onyx for quite a while. Maybe whenever a successor is released I’ll be tempted, but I imagine that’s a least a few years away.

5F8BA35D-7443-4346-B8D1-FBDA1BDEB4B4.jpeg

Mar 29, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #84 of 1,451
Very happy with my Onyx. Originally I ordered the Amethyst from ZMF to get a sample of what the NOS sound was like, and I loved the sound compared to what I was used to with D/S DACs and the Bimby.

I was hopeful going in as I did figure what I’d heard about NOS DACs would play well with my treble sensitivity and the fatigue I’d felt from other DACs. Even still I was pleasantly surprised. So much so that I felt like I wanted to go a step further and try something a little higher end so that I would be totally satisfied and not really interested in upgrading.

I can’t see myself moving on from the Onyx for quite a while. Maybe whenever a successor is released I’ll be tempted, but I imagine that’s a least a few years away.

Experiment with external upsampling/digital filtering, for non-hi/res content anyway. HQPlayer, SoX, etc. This helps to bring more sparkle to the sound of these DACs while retaining overall sound signature.

Mar 29, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #86 of 1,451

Just for the record, the Parasound DAC-2000 is an oversampling DAC, not NOS.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #87 of 1,451
Anyone using I2S on their Metrum DACs? I'm curious what DDCs people use. The main option I see has a different RJ45 pin out than Metrum, and does not appear to have any dip switches to change that.

Alternatively I could try AES and use the Singxer SU-1, or I could stick with optical. I get clicks and pops over USB even with the buffer on the highest setting.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #88 of 1,451
Anyone using I2S on their Metrum DACs? I'm curious what DDCs people use. The main option I see has a different RJ45 pin out than Metrum, and does not appear to have any dip switches to change that.

Alternatively I could try AES and use the Singxer SU-1, or I could stick with optical. I get clicks and pops over USB even with the buffer on the highest setting.

Odd, I generally had good luck with Metrum USB interfaces. I have issues with them not being recognized upon exit from standby, but once they are going no issues whatsoever. Try reinstalling the driver maybe?

You will probably need to make a custom cable for Metrum I2S as DDCs typically have HDMI outputs. I'm sure Cees will gladly provide a RJ-45 pinout.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #89 of 1,451
Odd, I generally had good luck with Metrum USB interfaces. I have issues with them not being recognized upon exit from standby, but once they are going no issues whatsoever. Try reinstalling the driver maybe?

You will probably need to make a custom cable for Metrum I2S as DDCs typically have HDMI outputs. I'm sure Cees will gladly provide a RJ-45 pinout.
I sent Metrum an email this morning, and Anjo seems to be suggesting that I may need a new USB module. I tried installing the driver on the Metrum website along with the newer driver on the M2Tech website multiple times.

I'm curious about AES and I2S, but I'm also unsure about whether there would be any actual improvement in sound quality. Some people swear by these inputs, and others say there's really no audible difference unless there's an actual issue with the current input being used.

I know what the RJ45 pinout for Metrum is because it's very visible in the picture of the module on their website. Custom cables sound like a hassle to me. I'm probably not really that hardcore about switching to I2S. Curiosity is just making me think about things I probably don't need.

I2S-module.jpg

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #90 of 1,451
IMO there should be little difference as the USB module is asynchronous and has onboard oscillators for stable clock. The premise of I2S is that the upstream device may have a better clock than what's on the USB board which may allow for better sound quality. The reality however is that the length of the I2S cable and LVDS circuitry may become the source of additional jitter effectively cancelling any benefits of a better clock in an upstream DDC. So, the usual YMMV disclaimer applies. There are other legitimate uses for I2S like DSD but this is not a concern with Metrum DACs, or at least not yet. I'd personally just stick with USB, or Coax/AES if USB is really broken.

Btw, I'm not sure if the pinout printed on the PCB is the actual pinout for the RJ-45, it could be for the headers on the board. Usually it is a differential connection with 2 wires +/- for each signal (see below example from the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 manual). You would also need to make sure your DDC has MCLK frequency that the Metrum I2S module supports.

2018-04-27 10_40_32-X-SPDIF_2_Manual_EH.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back