All things Metrum Acoustics
May 18, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #47 of 1,451
The First Watt M2, by Nelson Pass, is a 25wpc power amplifier that uses an autoformer instead of "static" transformers (Aurix) for magnetic gain, but is otherwise somewhat similar to the Metrum Acoustics Aurix - certainly so in terms of design philosophy. 

For more on the benefits of zero-feedback minimalist designs, check out the M2 owner's manual, written by Mr. Pass:

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_m2_man.pdf

And don't miss out on the words of (our very own) Cees Ruijtenberg, on page 2 of the 6moons Aurix review:  

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum3/2.html

There's plenty of good stuff there, but I like this simple comment:  "We prefer no feedback."   
wink.gif
    And really, with amps for loudspeakers, you're up against their inefficiency, but as Cees points out, a 2Vrms ouput from the DAC is enough power to damage your ears with efficient headphones and the same with 4 to 6 watts into inefficient headphones (with 6 watts requiring 3x amplification or 10 dB of gain.) Most headphones can get by with nothing but an attenuator and impedance match downstream of the DAC - pretty much what you have with an Aurix set to 0 dB gain.

Which begs the question:  Why does Head-Fi have so many multi-stage, high-gain amps, using so much negative feedback to compensate the distortion their design creates, only to suffer artifacts that destroy "musicality" (as Nelson Pass puts it), when our transducers are so much more efficient than loudspeakers?  

May 18, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #48 of 1,451
Thanks for the readings! Another pioneer is Charlie Hanson at Ayre Acoustics, progenitor of the Pono Player, which, as I am sure you are already aware, is the only zero feedback DAP you can buy. A properly burned-in Pono Player paired with Zenith Audio PMx2 headphones is, IMHO, THE endgame portable system.

May 18, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #50 of 1,451
  Interesting!  I did not know the Pono was a zero-feedback design.  My wallet floweth under!  

They are zero feedback, balanced. I met a reviewer was running one at CanJam. I said that is the best DAP you can buy... period. He said that he agreed and that its only competition was the AK380! Now, since, nobody knows the proper care and feeding of the Pono, they buy one, play it OOTB in single-ended mode and wonder what all the hoopla is about, which inures to the benefit of the well informed... I just picked up a pristine one for $200 from another Head-Fi'er.  

May 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #51 of 1,451
I have a musette coming soon.

I noticed the other metrum dacs (pavane and menuet) has the "Forward (FPGA) corrected" and the musette does not have it listed according to the website.

What does forward (FPGA) corrected mean?

(also posted on musette thread but didn't get a response)

May 23, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #52 of 1,451
I continue to enjoy the hell out of the Menuet. Combined with the Aurix, my HD800 is sounding amazing.  Previously I found it far too bright for anything other than classical repertoire, but that is no longer the case.  Listening to Honeymoon by Lana Del Ray, the tactility of the sound is breathtaking.

I won't be selling my LCDX just yet but it sure is a great alternative to have.

Jun 27, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #57 of 1,451
Jun 27, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #58 of 1,451
I did sent Metrum Acoustic an email inquiring about switching between 230v and 115v input on there DAC. Here is the reply.
Dear sir

Yes that is the fact but you also have to change the fuses to the double
current specs/ In your case from 100 mA slow blow to 200 mA slow blow

Kind regards,

Martijn Neesenberend

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #59 of 1,451
Has anyone seen a comparative review of the HEX and MENUET anywhere?  I would like to know whether from the viewpoint of SQ the Menuet represents a substantial upgrade over the Hex, or whether it is a sidegrade at best.  I know the Menuet is going to sound "different," as all such upgrades do.  I just do not think that "different" = "better" in all cases, and am not sure an upgrade is always worth paying for if one already has the previous model (I have the Hex)...  I would appreciate some feedback on this front.  Thanks.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #60 of 1,451
Hey there Metrum owners! I am eyeballing an Octave MkII to pair with my WA6, and I have a question. I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but have any of you blokes laid ears on the Teac UD 503 in its NOS mode? Curious to know how that sound compares to the octave's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back