All things Metrum Acoustics
Aug 30, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #1,187 of 1,451
True, and had the Amethyst cost as much as a Schiit Modi, the defect might not have bothered me, but it didn't, so it did 😔
Denafrips uses a fancier case. And being made in China equals cheaper labour compared to the Dutch. So this helps keeps the prices low. Metrum's cheaper offerings would cost a lot more if they used a fancier case. But the Pavane is built beautifully especially with the glass top. That's my observation.

BTW has anyone upgraded their DAC 1 to DAC2/3 modules in their Menuet? Apparently it needs to be sent to Cees for modifications.

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #1,188 of 1,451
True, and had the Amethyst cost as much as a Schiit Modi, the defect might not have bothered me, but it didn't, so it did 😔

What was the defect? And did you contact Metrum to replace?

Aug 30, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,189 of 1,451
Denafrips uses a fancier case. And being made in China equals cheaper labour compared to the Dutch. So this helps keeps the prices low. Metrum's cheaper offerings would cost a lot more if they used a fancier case. But the Pavane is built beautifully especially with the glass top. That's my observation.

BTW has anyone upgraded their DAC 1 to DAC2/3 modules in their Menuet? Apparently it needs to be sent to Cees for modifications.

No mate. I have upgraded the DAC 1 modules in my Musette to DAC 2, but that was simple lift and replace. I suspect it's worthwhile for you though.

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #1,190 of 1,451
What was the defect? And did you contact Metrum to replace?
It had a twisted front plate, which twisted everything else. The initial response I got from customer support was unhelpful, to say the least. Then there was a period of silence, during which I looked at options for rebuilding it as something better. It was only after I'd written to Lion that I started to get actual support, but by then, it was too late, so I returned my twisted metal box for a refund.

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,191 of 1,451
It had a twisted front plate, which twisted everything else. The initial response I got from customer support was unhelpful, to say the least. Then there was a period of silence, during which I looked at options for rebuilding it as something better. It was only after I'd written to Lion that I started to get actual support, but by then, it was too late, so I returned my twisted metal box for a refund.
Sorry to read it. I'll be honest, their communication is poor; I still haven't had a reply to an email I sent four days ago. That said, I am confident it'll get dealt with in the end.

Sep 5, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #1,192 of 1,451
Just had an update from Metrum. New DAC3 modules are €239 each and I need 8 for Adagio. There is NO upgrade offer, so it's €1912 to buy DAC3 and I guess my old DAC2 modules just go in the bin?!

Crazy.

I am not sure what to do now. That's a lot of money, and the approach doesn't seem very consumer focused to me.

Is the upgrade worth the €1912?

Advice please.

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #1,193 of 1,451
when I upgraded from Dac 2 to Dac 3 there was a deal by returning the Dac 2 modules: still expensive but I could live with it then. I guess you could sell your Dac 2 modules your self at a reduced rate, as Metrum also sell individual Dac 2 modules ( probably/possibly used ) at a high price, similar to price to new Dac 3 modules.
One of the Head-Fi's prefers the Dac 2 over Dac 3 and Sonnet's and has retuned to a Pavane with Dac 2.
I do like the upgrade, to Dac 3, but beware your source will have to have clean, high'er frequencies. Dac 3 is more transparent than Dac 2. I like the base, but it is also good on Dac 2.

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #1,194 of 1,451
Just had an update from Metrum. New DAC3 modules are €239 each and I need 8 for Adagio. There is NO upgrade offer, so it's €1912 to buy DAC3 and I guess my old DAC2 modules just go in the bin?!

Crazy.

I am not sure what to do now. That's a lot of money, and the approach doesn't seem very consumer focused to me.

Is the upgrade worth the €1912?

Advice please.
Not sure where you are located these days George, but there is someone selling DAC3 chips on usaudiomart: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649884822-metrum-dac3-chips-modules/. I did the upgrade on my Onyx when they had the trade-in, not so bad pricewise but it wasn't like a night and day difference or anything (maybe my high frequency hearing loss masked the differences!). Cees answered an email I wrote and said that in the Onyx the DAC3 would give me 95% of his Sonnett Morpheus's performance for what it's worth.

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #1,195 of 1,451
Not sure where you are located these days George, but there is someone selling DAC3 chips on usaudiomart: https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649884822-metrum-dac3-chips-modules/. I did the upgrade on my Onyx when they had the trade-in, not so bad pricewise but it wasn't like a night and day difference or anything (maybe my high frequency hearing loss masked the differences!). Cees answered an email I wrote and said that in the Onyx the DAC3 would give me 95% of his Sonnett Morpheus's performance for what it's worth.

Thanks Ron.

I have thought about Sonnet before, but for my headphone system the preamp on the Morpheus would be superfluous. In my main system I could sell the Adagio and buy the Pasithea, but the numbers don't really make sense. If a DAC3 Onyx is 95% of the Morpheus, then I presume a DAC3 Adagio/Pavane is 95% +/- of the Pasithea.

It's a shame Cees doesn't sell a straight DAC option at each level without the preamp.

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #1,196 of 1,451
when I upgraded from Dac 2 to Dac 3 there was a deal by returning the Dac 2 modules: still expensive but I could live with it then. I guess you could sell your Dac 2 modules your self at a reduced rate, as Metrum also sell individual Dac 2 modules ( probably/possibly used ) at a high price, similar to price to new Dac 3 modules.
One of the Head-Fi's prefers the Dac 2 over Dac 3 and Sonnet's and has retuned to a Pavane with Dac 2.
I do like the upgrade, to Dac 3, but beware your source will have to have clean, high'er frequencies. Dac 3 is more transparent than Dac 2. I like the base, but it is also good on Dac 2.

I saw the post where the forum member had gone Morpheus > Pasithea > Pavane; was that the one? I hadn't realised he had gone back to DAC2. I just assumed he had gone DAC3 on the Pavane.

Sep 5, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,197 of 1,451
Jul 4, 2022 at 2:23 AMPost #1,143 of 1,180
[IMG alt="ken6217"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/333/333303.jpg?1452273529[/IMG]

ken6217

Headphoneus Supremus​

JoinedJun 15, 2012Posts3,246Likes2,272
The Yiggy does have more tonal density than the Morpheus.

I found the Pasithea had less tonal density than the Morpheus.

I’ve had all of these and there is definitely an inverse relationship between more resolution, soundstage, detail, and tonal density.

Pavane Dac2 > Pavane Dac3 > Morpheus > Pasithea.

It’s all individual to what one likes, but I’m now back to Pavane Dac2.

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,198 of 1,451
Long time since I have heard Pavane. I do have Pasithea with me right now and it’s faster, has microscopic view on music and hence has lot of details, very good soundstage, excellent imaging and has the mids similar to any other Metrum DAC and one that all the Metrum DAC owner can relate to.
Technically it may be superior to Pavane but then again I haven’t heard DAC3 chip.
Adagio and Pasithea are closer in price but I guess Adagio is more premium looking product and hence all the money in Pasithea has gone in tech inside it.
There is a charm to Pavane DAC 2 which can’t be replaced but if anyone is looking to go higher up technically then Pasithea is next step.

Sep 5, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #1,199 of 1,451
Jul 4, 2022 at 2:23 AMPost #1,143 of 1,180
[IMG alt="ken6217"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/333/333303.jpg?1452273529[/IMG]

ken6217

Headphoneus Supremus​

JoinedJun 15, 2012Posts3,246Likes2,272
The Yiggy does have more tonal density than the Morpheus.

I found the Pasithea had less tonal density than the Morpheus.

I’ve had all of these and there is definitely an inverse relationship between more resolution, soundstage, detail, and tonal density.

Pavane Dac2 > Pavane Dac3 > Morpheus > Pasithea.

It’s all individual to what one likes, but I’m now back to Pavane Dac2.

Super useful. Thank you.

Sep 7, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #1,200 of 1,451
Is anyone using an USB to COAX/i2s converter for their Metrum DAC? I have the USB Menuet (comes up as Hiface Evo 2 on the mac). I was thinking of getting an USB converter to input Coax into the menuet. Worthwhile upgrade? The Menuet via USB does keep dropping lock everytime I turn off the computer. I have to restart the DAC as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back