All things Metrum Acoustics
Nov 18, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #436 of 1,451
Hello,
What I used were:
John Swenson’s UpTone Audio ISO USB regenerator =$325
A Chinese Linear Power supply to power the regenerator from eBay for around $ 150 instead of PSupply provided with regenerator.
Curious Cables “Regen Link” - short USB Cables made especially for the purpose of going to and from the regenerator - around $200 the pair
Zero Zone Fun 01 USB to I2S converter on eBay for $ 214
From there I am using a 5 meter Supra Ethernet cable to the I2S port of the Metrum Adagio.

Please let me know if you want any other information.

Best,

LOU D

Thank you - this is awesome answer with all I needed to know.
Have you tried to compare with SPDIF via coax link with nice cables?

Nov 18, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #437 of 1,451
Hi,
Yes - prior to using I2S I was using SPDIF and not the USB input. I had a battery powered USB to SPDIF converter. This was a prototype ART Legato II with very high quality clock and low jitter. It used a custom made BNC cable that was provided with it.

Before I go further, I must say that I listen via speakers vs headphones. I subscribe to this site because of the thoughtful commentary I find here. So you understand that my experience is complicated by speakers/room etc. That said, I found the I2S provided higher resolution and a “breath of life” type energy that I did not experience with the SPDIF setup that I had. Again, very unscientific; but I am glad that I tried it and continue to enjoy it.

LOU D

Nov 18, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #438 of 1,451
Thanks again.
So far with my systems I found SPDIF coaxial connection better then USB but I assume that this could be really connected with poor quality of my USB sources.
Tried with Curious USB cable and this was really way better compared to my old setup.
Within next few hours I should receive BABY AMBRE from Metrum and before my buy decision I was curious if going for SPDIF only is not the best option at my side. Well I will see soon. Perhaps will move to full AMBRE.

Dec 30, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #439 of 1,451
Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been asked before.
If I get an Ambre, if I wanna try i2s, how do I connect it to my dac (mqa x-sabre pro)?

The i2s connection on the Ambre looks like an ethernet socket, and on the x-sabre pro it looks like a hdmi socket (iis lvds).

Dec 30, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #440 of 1,451
Hi guys,

If I get an Ambre, if I wanna try i2s, how do I connect it to my dac (mqa x-sabre pro)?

The i2s connection on the Ambre looks like an ethernet socket, and on the x-sabre pro it looks like a hdmi socket (iis lvds).

You can't. At least not without adding an LVDS board. Just use SPDIF or AES/EBU - the ESS chipset will take care of jitter, if there is any.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #441 of 1,451
You can't. At least not without adding an LVDS board. Just use SPDIF or AES/EBU - the ESS chipset will take care of jitter, if there is any.

Ah I see... Thanks very much!

Dec 30, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #442 of 1,451
Hi guys,

Sadly, there is no standard for i2s connections.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #443 of 1,451
Could I get your opinions?

right now, I have an Intel NUC8i7BEH (running my roon core) connected to my DAC (matrix audio mqa x sabre pro) via usb.

The Nuc is also my media player, connected directly to my LGtv via hdmi. My dac and amp are sitting atop my TV console.

is there any upside at all to remove that USB connection, then add an Ambre as an endpoint to connect to the DAC?

I may change out the dac for a Pavane sometime later, if that'll influence anything.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #444 of 1,451

right now, I have an Intel NUC8i7BEH (running my roon core) connected to my DAC (matrix audio mqa x sabre pro) via usb.

The Nuc is also my media player, connected directly to my LGtv via hdmi. My dac and amp are sitting atop my TV console.

is there any upside at all to remove that USB connection, then add an Ambre as an endpoint to connect to the DAC?

I may change out the dac for a Pavane sometime later, if that'll influence anything.

No point from the sound quality point of view. There may be a use case if you need to have the DAC far from the NUC which doesn't seem the need you have. Enjoy the x-sabre pro. It is perfect as is.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #445 of 1,451
No point from the sound quality point of view. There may be a use case if you need to have the DAC far from the NUC which doesn't seem the need you have. Enjoy the x-sabre pro. It is perfect as is.

Thanks for the honest reply! That helped a lot. Saved me a chunk of cash haha!

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #446 of 1,451

I also have NUC but I’m using it as Roon Core and hence I have kept it headless, sitting at a corner. I’m using Pi based streamer to stream from NUC to my DAC.
if you really need to free up your DAC from NUC, then you can use many Pi based streamer with high quality HAT. You can get like Digione Signature or Pi2AES. Pi2AES has I2S out and I am running it successfully with my Metrum DAC.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #448 of 1,451
Ah.. I think it is cos I like pretty things and seem to look for excuses to spend money.. Thought the metrum ambre and pavane looked good together and both are quite well reviewed too!

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #449 of 1,451
Ah.. I think it is cos I like pretty things and seem to look for excuses to spend money.. Thought the metrum ambre and pavane looked good together and both are quite well reviewed too!

Looking at your signature i can say that the Pavane will sound noticeably different than your other DACs. You may like it, or not. The Ambre should be transparent however.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #450 of 1,451
Looking at your signature i can say that the Pavane will sound noticeably different than your other DACs. You may like it, or not. The Ambre should be transparent however.

Ah yes.. I've never tried an r2r dac before. I've heard ppl say that about r2r dacs ie either u like it or not. Am curious to see/hear what it's all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back