All the DACs money can buy, pt. 2
Jun 30, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #61 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccschua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks to me the expensive dac uses the PCM 1704U-K. Is this the better dAC ?

Some designers seem to think so. The Philips TDA154x series and Burr-Brown PCM170x series have been in production for over a decade, but people still love the sound of non-oversampling and R-2R DACs.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #62 of 198
Great thread!! I will be ordering a Cullen Circuits Stage 3 modified PS Audio Digital Link III w/in the next couple of weeks to use w/ my Apple TV in a speaker rig; can't wait. Thanks to all who contributed here..

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #63 of 198
I have listen to NOS using TDA 154x in ladder and found the dynamics is lacking. The bass attack is slow and the overhang is short. Is it because the design or the components is just not suitable.

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #66 of 198
How badly i want EMU 0202 or 0404. but its just not available in Singapore. is it available in Japan?

btw.. where will u classify Creative XMOD?

Jul 9, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #67 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw.. where will u classify Creative XMOD?

Ah, thanks, I forgot about those... I'll add Creative's external USB devices to the list.

Edit: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1, Creative Xmod, and Creative Xmod Wireless added.

Jul 27, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #69 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrisles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't suppose you could place a link to granodemostasa' original thread that you mention at the front of this list?

Done.
biggrin.gif

He also has a blog entry called "Simpler, Easier, DACs" that's a little more up to date than his thread.

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #71 of 198
Hello @ all

here in Germany we have a small Manufacturer of pretty good DACs.
It´s HiFiWERKSTATT hoer-wege.

They have the following 4 full assembled DIY DAC-Board´s:

DAC-UP-PCM1794 MK-II 1.200,00 EURO (German Price incl. TAX)

1794mk2tqc9.jpg

DAC-UP-PCM1794 1.100,00 EURO (German Price incl. TAX)

pcm17941tinyik5.jpg

DAC-UP-PCM1704 cmf 900,00 EURO (German Price incl. TAX)

1704cmfum6.jpg

DAC-UP-CS4398 580,00 EURO (German Price incl. TAX)

dac4398tnm9.jpg

You can have also a USB-In Module 110,00 EURO (German Price incl. TAX)

usbinautoyl8.jpg

They have also special PS and cases for the DACs.
The only thing i don´t know is, if they ship them internationaly. So try it out.

Best regards,
Oliver

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #74 of 198
I don't know how you'd price these, but there are many DIY offerings available as well. The Buffalo(ESS ES9008) and Opus(wm8741) DAC for instance are very popular.
I'd keep an eye out on the y1 and bantam dac which are also two more DIY's that are close to being released.

I don't think it's fair to list the 'kit' price for any of the DIY dacs though. It's like saying a B22 is worth $300-400, and a mini3 is only worth $60.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #75 of 198
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how you'd price these, but there are many DIY offerings available as well. The Buffalo(ESS ES9008) and Opus(wm8741) DAC for instance are very popular.
I'd keep an eye out on the y1 and bantam dac which are also two more DIY's that are close to being released.

I don't think it's fair to list the 'kit' price for any of the DIY dacs though. It's like saying a B22 is worth $300-400, and a mini3 is only worth $60.

Sorry, but i don´t see your problem about the price.
First, you could only buy these DAC-Board´s assemled for the price i wrote!
If you want, you could also buy their PS, USB-In Module, Cases, Digital-Input Modul ect. (also assebled) for extra money. So that´s quite normal on this planet
normal_smile .gif

BTW, i don´t wrote that these are the only DIY-DACs on the market, but IMO these are on the TOP-End.

It´s YOUR decision what you need and what you not need. There are a lot of people, who want to upgrade there existing CD-Player with a new "High-End" DAC and could install for example only the DAC-Board in there existing CD-Player Case, with no need to buy anything else.
It´s a real Module-Design, witch IMO is realy great. So nobody needs to buy something, what he don´t need.

If you are interested in a DAC from HiFiWERKSTATT hoer-wege with a Case, PS ect., it up to you to calculate the complete price.

Cheers,
beerchug.gif

Oliver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back