All Shure e500/se530 owners-A different POLL + PIC link
Jan 18, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no i just wipe them down with a damp cloth, sorry about my silly comment i jst thought theres no point in posting another cable thread because most of us know the problem is solved with newer models,never mind

The Shure reps have said that not everyone gets the problem -- it's due to the interaction between the oils of _some_ people and the plasticizer in the cable. So just because YOU didn't have a problem proves absolutely fricking nothing.

And just because "newer" models don't have the problem, how does that help people when Shure keeps replacing phones with _old_ stock? The whole point of this poll is supposed to be to figure out what Shure refuses to tell us -- when they switched over to the new formulation.

Sorry if I'm overreacting, but I'm really ticked off at all the Shure apologists here, who's logic seems to be either "I have no problem, so this isn't a problem," or "Shure is replacing phones, what else can they do?".

Normally if a manufacturer issues a recall of a defective product, they'll make a public announcement that gives enough information for consumers to figure out if they have bought from the particular batch or production run that is defective. And they sure as hell don't replace the defective product with one made from the same batch with the same defect!

Now, I can understand why Shure doesn't want to have a recall when not every buyer is affected by this problem. However, for people who say "What else can Shure do?", I think anyone should come up with the common sense answer -- they should replace phones returned with cracked cables with _NEW_ stock that has the NEW formulation. Some people in the SE530 thread have had to replace their phones three times, each time getting back old stock that sooner or later cracks again, and each time paying money to send them back! Do people have to be rocket scientists to realize something is wrong with that?

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 34
I just looked at the results, and we've got one data point for all of 2007 -- but it is in July/August! I'm hoping that's a mistake, because one of the Shure rep's in the SE530 thread posted that they had changed the formulation "many months ago" -- and that post was in July of 2007 IIRC.

Perhaps someone entered the wrong year, or went by their purchase date instead of the date stamp?

It's too bad that this poll wasn't opened to all owners of the SE line. I think it was stated that they all should have the new cable formulation, so the date stamps of other cracked SE phones should be relevant, and give us a bigger sample size.

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danfried /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure reps have said that not everyone gets the problem -- it's due to the interaction between the oils of _some_ people and the plasticizer in the cable. So just because YOU didn't have a problem proves absolutely fricking nothing.

And just because "newer" models don't have the problem, how does that help people when Shure keeps replacing phones with _old_ stock? The whole point of this poll is supposed to be to figure out what Shure refuses to tell us -- when they switched over to the new formulation.

Sorry if I'm overreacting, but I'm really ticked off at all the Shure apologists here, who's logic seems to be either "I have no problem, so this isn't a problem," or "Shure is replacing phones, what else can they do?".

Normally if a manufacturer issues a recall of a defective product, they'll make a public announcement that gives enough information for consumers to figure out if they have bought from the particular batch or production run that is defective. And they sure as hell don't replace the defective product with one made from the same batch with the same defect!

Now, I can understand why Shure doesn't want to have a recall when not every buyer is affected by this problem. However, for people who say "What else can Shure do?", I think anyone should come up with the common sense answer -- they should replace phones returned with cracked cables with _NEW_ stock that has the NEW formulation. Some people in the SE530 thread have had to replace their phones three times, each time getting back old stock that sooner or later cracks again, and each time paying money to send them back! Do people have to be rocket scientists to realize something is wrong with that?

i never tried to prove anything, but if YOU would take the time to look into these things properly YOU will find out the cable problem was with earlier models in what is in fact a small percentage of customers. the problem has since been rectified and if you arent happy with that then spend your money elsewhere and stop talking like you know it all. i own them and was simply saying mine are fine as of now and funnily enough is one of the earlier 06 models.

and if you were ticked off about me saying the thread is a bit silly i only said that because shure owners have recently posted in the first thread about the problem and it has since been rectified and explained as i said. the OP undertood why i said that and frankly its nothing to do with you newbie so have a nice day
biggrin.gif

AND SHURE IS REPLACING THEM, WHAT ELSE CAN THEY DO, IF REPLACING OUT OF WARRANTY PRODUCTS DOESNT DO IT FOR YOU THEN YOU HAVE PROBLEMS AND SHOULD OPEN YOUR OWN IEM BUSINESS!!!

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

i never tried to prove anything, but if YOU would take the time to look into these things properly YOU will find out the cable problem was with earlier models in what is in fact a small percentage of customers. the problem has since been rectified and if you arent happy with that then spend your money elsewhere and stop talking like you know it all. i own them and was simply saying mine are fine as of now and funnily enough is one of the earlier 06 models.

and if you were ticked off about me saying the thread is a bit silly i only said that because shure owners have recently posted in the first thread about the problem and it has since been rectified and explained as i said. the OP undertood why i said that and frankly its nothing to do with you newbie so have a nice day
biggrin.gif

AND SHURE IS REPLACING THEM, WHAT ELSE CAN THEY DO, IF REPLACING OUT OF WARRANTY PRODUCTS DOESNT DO IT FOR YOU THEN YOU HAVE PROBLEMS AND SHOULD OPEN YOUR OWN IEM BUSINESS!!!

I just explained what they should do! Perhaps you just don't understand what the words "old stock" mean... BTW, I read that whole thread, which perhaps you didn't!

When Head-Fiers sent in their pairs with the broken cables, Shure sent them back OLD STOCK, with the OLD FORMULATION in the cables. And not surprisingly, these replacements developed the same problem!

Let me say it AGAIN, for the last time -- if someone ships them a pair with the cable problem, they should receive as a replacement a pair with the NEW cables. Doesn't that make sense to you?

And as for "only a small percentage developed problems", did you actually look at the results of that poll? Over 38% had their cables break! Is that a small percentage to you? Maybe we can assume that "regular" users have a smaller percentage -- but Shure won't tell us how many!

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

God almighty, I just explained what they should do! Perhaps you just don't understand what the words "old stock" mean... I read that whole thread, which perhaps you didn't!

When Head-Fiers sent in their pairs with the broken cables, Shure sent them back OLD STOCK, with the OLD FORMULATION in the cables. And not surprisingly, these replacements developed the same problem!

Christ! Let me say it AGAIN, for the last time -- if someone ships them a pair with the cable problem, they should receive as a replacement a pair with the NEW cables. Doesn't that make sense to you?

And as for "only a small percentage developed problems", did you actually look at the results of that poll? Over 38% had their cables break! Is that a small percentage to you? Maybe we can assume that "regular" users have a smaller percentage -- but Shure won't tell us how many!

you obviously aint too great at mathematics, yes it was 38% out of the ones that voted, which was no doubt a very small number of the total shure e500 owners! i mean hellooooo that means a very very small percentage overall i mean lets face it most people would only reply to that if they did develop a problem i would bet my top dollar theres a few with fine cables that never bothered voting.

and again yes your right about people receiving old stock in return but who are you to say when they actually changed the cable, i didnt come across somebody who actually got a older set that replaced the ones sent in, just not too much newer but again who are you to say when they changed the cable and whats in the cables they send out

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

and again yes your right about people receiving old stock in return but who are you to say when they actually changed the cable, i didnt come across somebody who actually got a older set that replaced the ones sent in, just not too much newer but again who are you to say when they changed the cable and whats in the cables they send out

Wasn't that the whole point of this poll? To figure out when they switched the cable material? That's why this poll isn't "silly" -- Shure refuses to give us this information so that people can't be sure whether or not they get cables with the new formulation or not!

And if you'd bothered reading all of the SE530 thread, you'd know that several posters DID in fact receive replacements with OLDER date stamps than the ones they sent in!

One person who sent in a broken SE530 even received back an E500-badged pair!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3421858-post249.html

Wait a sec, while writing this post I just looked back at the more recent posts in that SE530 thread, and saw YOU responding to someone who received a replacement with an older date stamp! Why am I explaining this to you?

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/3443928-post254.html

Okay, I give up arguing. If you still think this is OK behaviour on Shure's part, I guess there is no point in further belaboring this point. And I'm certainly not going to get into an argument about just what percentage are defective -- these arguments about over- or under-reporting were already given in previous poll thread. But at least this new poll may prove useful for other Shure customers, who -- based on the poll results so far -- should ask for replacements with a 2007 date stamp!

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

you obviously aint too great at mathematics, yes it was 38% out of the ones that voted, which was no doubt a very small number of the total shure e500 owners! i mean hellooooo that means a very very small percentage overall i mean lets face it most people would only reply to that if they did develop a problem i would bet my top dollar theres a few with fine cables that never bothered voting.

all polls are taken by a sample group, you could never take a poll using all the people that have E500 series iems, numbers that we see here is probably a good estimate of the % units with problems..

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #23 of 34
I am a statistician of sorts and I would imagine that respondents to this poll are more likely to be the ones with problems, fwiw. I sent my e500 back in December because the little cups that sit over the wire where it attaches to the earphone came off and I did not want to void the warranty by supergluing them myself. Fwiw, the replacements they sent me were 3037, which was about a month before I sent them in. So my guess is that they are not replacing them with old ones anymore, irrespective of what they did before.

I do so love these earphones. If my grandfather were alive today, he would have thought them to be magical.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a statistician of sorts and I would imagine that respondents to this poll are more likely to be the ones with problems, fwiw.

Of course _this_ poll's respondents ALL have the cable problem, because the point of _this_ poll is to identify which productions dates have problems. You are supposed to vote in _this_ poll only if you have a broken cable!

If you don't have any problems, you should be voting in the OTHER SE530 poll:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/shu...e-poll-248730/

Sorry to sound like I'm ragging on you -- you probably just joined in without reading the earlier posts. But if you're going to point out the obvious bias problem with a self-reporting poll (which I never denied), you might as well point out the illogic in Jinx's post.

Of course the 38% who had broken cables make up an extremely small percentage of Shure E500 owners. For that matter, the other 62 percent who responded _also_ make up an extremely small percentage of Shure E500 owners! The whole point of SAMPLING is to extrapolate based on a -- hopefully -- _representative_ sample. With Jinx's logic, Gallup polls that show Bush is unpopular would be useless because they only sample a few thousand people, while the population of the U.S. is over 300 million. Fortunately I don't think anyone denies now there is wide dissatisfaction with Bush...

The 38% number may be inflated because of a greater tendency by the disgruntled to vote, but a number that high is still a cause of concern to Shure -- and if I recall correctly, that is also what the Shure rep said in the other poll thread.

And I haven't addressed yet another problem with that poll -- the fact that several posters noted their cables broke AFTER they had already voted otherwise!

Anyway, I refuse to respond to any more posts from Jinx unless they include at least one grammatically correct sentence. It's just too much trouble to read them.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by blehmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a statistician of sorts and I would imagine that respondents to this poll are more likely to be the ones with problems, fwiw. I sent my e500 back in December because the little cups that sit over the wire where it attaches to the earphone came off and I did not want to void the warranty by supergluing them myself. Fwiw, the replacements they sent me were 3037, which was about a month before I sent them in. So my guess is that they are not replacing them with old ones anymore, irrespective of what they did before.

I do so love these earphones. If my grandfather were alive today, he would have thought them to be magical.

I was referring to the first poll which had approx 200 votes of which 114's cables were fine..

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Anyway, I refuse to respond to any more posts from Jinx unless they include at least one grammatically correct sentence. It's just too much trouble to read them.

Unfortunately, despite the volume of mental anguish he has inflicted upon Head-Fi members (which must be considerable, considering his post count), Jinx cannot be banned for unintentionally harassing others with his underdeveloped intellect. Seriously, you'd think after all the negative feedback he's gotten (and I've seen quite a bit) he would get a clue and stop spouting off all the time. He's got diaherea of the mouth and it's irresponsible. Granted, he's not launching personal attacks (like this one), but his methods are almost more damaging to our community. He hijacks and intellectually derails threads through frequent and rapid posts that show little regard to serious thought, and with a combative tone and reckless declarations that usually start pissing matches.... (Observe: EXHIBIT A)

I wonder if we need a "Is Jinx Hurting Head-Fi" poll? I'll bet we get higher than 38%...

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, despite the volume of mental anguish he has inflicted upon Head-Fi members (which must be considerable, considering his post count), Jinx cannot be banned for unintentionally harassing others with his underdeveloped intellect. Seriously, you'd think after all the negative feedback he's gotten (and I've seen quite a bit) he would get a clue and stop spouting off all the time. He's got diaherea of the mouth and it's irresponsible. Granted, he's not launching personal attacks (like this one), but his methods are almost more damaging to our community. He hijacks and intellectually derails threads through frequent and rapid posts that show little regard to serious thought, and with a combative tone and reckless declarations that usually start pissing matches.... (Observe: EXHIBIT A)

I wonder if we need a "Is Jinx Hurting Head-Fi" poll? I'll bet we get higher than 38%...

When I see people like him posting, I truly start to wonder if it is "unintentional" intellectual harassment. Even so, reading his posts and seeing how he goes about leading the conversation where ever he wants is loads of fun and gives me ideas for how I can use his techniques for good
wink.gif

I'll have to check his post history and see what else he's been up to
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 34
Well, it's been a few more weeks, and we now have THREE out of twelve respondents with cable problems in July-Aug. 2007. Did all three make the same mistake -- using purchase date instead of build date?

It's too bad more people haven't participated in this poll. Twelve is just a small fraction of those who participated in the other cable poll.

I'd like to believe the problem is not that the new cable formulaton also has problems, but there is definitely cause for concern -- I've noticed threads mentioning cables breaking for other models in the SE line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back