All-round/directional headphones
Apr 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sardinemaster

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
This is my first post!
My current headphones just broke and I am looking for a pair that will keep me happy for a few years! I am very careful with any material, rarely sit on it and almost never let them fall.
My headphones will be used for everything, I spend quite a lot of time on the computer so confort is a must.
I listen to all types of music and do appreciate it in a way that most don't: I like a detailed sound whether I'm listening to some Chopin, some hip hop, pop or rock.
I am also quite the gamer (mainly first person shooter), and find "positional" or "directional" sense is important; in other words I would like to be able to pinpoint exactly where my enemy is by using only sound. *This is quite important, and probably the most important feature I am looking for, but I am not willing to lose quality*
Otherwise, I listen to music, watch films, do some editing of my own and game, this is why I need a decent pair of headphones.
The headphones I had (well I am still using them, but only one of the earpieces work) are the Steelseries 5hv2, which sounded like a good "gamer" choice at the time, but I have learnt that anything that has the "gamer" tag added to it, is a simple way of ripping off ignorant players. If you look around, many people have got the same problem with this model.
In terms of microphone, obviously it would be nice to have a built-in microphone but it's not a must as I can get a simple cheap one anywhere.

These are my current inclinations, sennheiser hd series or the PC350, but these are choices that I got from gaming forums etc, which are mainly commented by people which don't have much knowledge about sound itself, thus bringing me here, to where the users actually know what they are talking about!
These are just the headphones I had in mind, but please do tell me these ones are bad and to choose others, as I myself don't know much about all the maked and models, and to be honest haven't had any "proper" headphone.

I will be connecting my headphones to my on-board sound card (SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD), and to be honest I am not willing/able to buy something else to make the sound better.

It would be appreciated if you could comment on personal experiences and comparison.

My budget is up to 150€.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I find that if I can be precise on what I want, I get the responses I am looking for!

Cheers.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 19
For gaming it's hard to beat the AD700's. They have incredible soundstage for the money. There is also a boom mic mod on here that you can check out. They don't have a lot of bass though so they probably won't do too well with rap and hip-hop. I've heard an eq can give it some bass but I don't know about the results.
Another one to consider is the HD555. I honestly don't know a lot about it but a little research won't hurt.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For gaming it's hard to beat the AD700's. They have incredible soundstage for the money. There is also a boom mic mod on here that you can check out. They don't have a lot of bass though so they probably won't do too well with rap and hip-hop. I've heard an eq can give it some bass but I don't know about the results.
Another one to consider is the HD555. I honestly don't know a lot about it but a little research won't hurt.

Thanks for your reply; this is the sort of helpful reply I am looking for - this could be a generic reply as to what I'm looking for!
I read a comparison between the AD700's and the HD555, and as you said the AD700 lack in base, but do really make "localizing sounds" very easy.
Thank you for your input.
Please do keep on responding, I want as many opinions as possible before buying my next pair or headphones!

Cheers.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some Ultrasones can be a great start.

I don't want everything "spoon fed" to me, but do you care to elaborate? Model or something you know from personal experience?

Thanks.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by sardinemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want everything "spoon fed" to me, but do you care to elaborate? Model or something you know from personal experience?

Thanks.

Ultrasones are made to present the sound "around" your head, so they can give good directionality, especially for closed phones (closed meaning they isolate you from your surroundings and vice versa, unlike the AD700 and HD555 which are open). They have made some Alienware-branded models in the past for the gaming market, identical other than looks to their HFI models (iirc the 780 was one).

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 19
Ultrasones as in 750/Pro 900/Ed 8 is amazing allrounders... I read your post and was like check check check for the 900. Except for price of. Especially since you mentioned Chopin. I have never found any headphone that can reproduce piano so well as the 900.

Apr 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasones as in 750/Pro 900/Ed 8 is amazing allrounders... I read your post and was like check check check for the 900. Except for price of. Especially since you mentioned Chopin. I have never found any headphone that can reproduce piano so well as the 900.

Obviously I would like to hear my piano in the best conditions, but I am not willing to "lose" any quality in other types of music or *especially* directionality. Will this be the case? And as they are closed, I get the impression that they "press" against your head; after a few hours are they still comfortable? *EDIT: Sorry I just noticed the price, and I can't afford such headphones, so they are out of the race*

Also, I forgot to mention something very important in my original post (which I know added), I am running off my laptop soundcard (SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD). Would this change any of your headphone proposals?

Finally, can someone compare the AD700's with the HD555? Due to the price, these are the ones I think will best suit me. Again, personal preference is always nice, but even if someone can just break it down for me. Or is there something even better?

Thank you very much for all your input.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Obviously I would like to hear my piano in the best conditions, but I am not willing to "lose" any quality in other types of music or *especially* directionality. Will this be the case? And as they are closed, I get the impression that they "press" against your head; after a few hours are they still comfortable? *EDIT: Sorry I just noticed the price, and I can't afford such headphones, so they are out of the race*

Also, I forgot to mention something very important in my original post (which I know added), I am running off my laptop soundcard (SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD). Would this change any of your headphone proposals?

Finally, can someone compare the AD700's with the HD555? Due to the price, these are the ones I think will best suit me. Again, personal preference is always nice, but even if someone can just break it down for me. Or is there something even better?

Thank you very much for all your input.

From what I've read, basically the AD700 has better directionality but not much bass, particularly straight from your laptop (un-amped). The HD555 has fuller bass but the directionality isn't quite as good. I think I'm about to order a pair of HD555s myself (for music mainly, not gaming) as I prefer a full bass response. I've also read they can be modded pretty easily to rival the HD595.
smile_phones.gif

Some people find Ultrasones more comfortable than others, so I can't guarantee anything for you there, but it is possible to loosen them (by carefully stretching the top part of the headband). The open phones are probably your best bet for both comfort and directionality, if you don't need isolation (as in, using them in a quiet environment where you won't bother others with the noise). If isolation is a factor, I think the HFI-450 would be a good choice at $89 new from Amazon (same price as AD700 and $10 less than HD555).

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 19
FWIR Ultrasone HFI780. !BASS! + soundstage. Although you want to check if the S-Logic suits you. Some people don't like it.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 19
Overstock.com has the HFI-780 refurbished for $190 right now (near your original max budget). And Ultrasones are great with most types of music, not just piano. I'd still recommend the open phones if you don't need isolation, since you seem to like the lower price. In the end you will only know which one you prefer by trying them yourself, but I hope we have helped you narrow it down.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #13 of 19
You have helped me very much.
I have chosen the AD700, due to the directionality factor, as I'm the sure the bass on the AD700 will still be decent (I hope so!).

I will get back to you on how they suit me!

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

You have helped me very much.
I have chosen the AD700, due to the directionality factor, as I'm the sure the bass on the AD700 will still be decent (I hope so!).

I will get back to you on how they suit me!

I will be interested in your impressions, particularly of the bass--I just ordered the HD555 myself.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by froasier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be interested in your impressions, particularly of the bass--I just ordered the HD555 myself.

Please give me your impressions as well!

I was looking for a place to get the AD700 and everywhere I look (I live in France), they are 149€, which really is more than I would have thought, looking at their prices in the US.
Does someone know where I can buy these headphones cheaply in France? (Paris preferably).

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back