All Over Great Headphones(Suggestions)
Dec 24, 2008 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Millsie

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, A little while ago I was figuring out if I was going to buy some HD 280's but after reading ALOT of reviews on them I found out that they were pretty average. Apparently they had barely any bass which is important to me since I listen to quite bassy songs... Hip-Hop and whatnot... So heres the question. In the guideline of $150NZ dollars What Headphones would give me the best Bang for my buck?

( I Hear Grado's are quite nice but I think they may be just a tad out of my price range considering that the NZ dollar is sucking at the moment)

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 33
A Grado is a Rock beast with a tight kickbass and no soundscape worth mentioning, IMO that is not what you need for Hiphop. What you need is a deep bass monster such as Beyer DT770. No idea what that costs over there (I have my suspicions), maybe a 2nd hand one.

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 33
I don't have much to offer here, but I will second the saying that Grados are definitely not what you should be looking at if you're into bass-driven music.

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 33
Awesome, Thanks for your input..
biggrin.gif
Yeah i'm pretty much still new to this headphone business.. Bwaha

The Beyer's look pretty good... Too bad I think the would be just over $300 just a lil bit over my budget..
biggrin.gif
Haha Plus I couldn't even find them in shops in NZ.

Anyother suggestions?

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Millsie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the guideline of $150NZ dollars What Headphones would give me the best Bang for my buck?

If I were you, I would wait and save up more money to buy better phones. In my opinion, it's better to do without a headphone for 2 or 3 months than to buy low-quality cheap headphones now and listen to them for years... Please understand that you are about to purchase a thing which will serve you for years. Do not rob yourself of all the pleasure you can get out of headphones just because you are short of $150 dollars at the moment.

Dec 24, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #8 of 33
I agree, as long as you can hold on to what you got as of this moment, the reward will be worth it.

Imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were you, I would wait and save up more money to buy better phones. In my opinion, it's better to do without a headphone for 2 or 3 months than to buy low-quality cheap headphones now and listen to them for years... Please understand that you are about to purchase a thing which will serve you for years. Do not rob yourself of all the pleasure you can get out of headphones just because you are short of $150 dollars at the moment.

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 33
HD280's are given far too much crap than they deserve. I actually enjoy my HD280's and find that they provide a sufficient amount of bass, especially when playing from my iRiver H320 (as opposed to my PC).

I don't think it would be something you would regret, since these are a great pair of closed headphones imo.

But, if you want overwhelming bass for hip hop, I hear Dr. Dre's beats do that quite well lol.

Dec 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 33
Never heard the 280 but they certainly look very light in the lower frequencies.
hd280pro_f.gif

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 33
JVC HA-RX700 or 900 deserve consideration, particularly if you're willing to do the TopPop mod. I listen to jazz, funk, rock, Americana, world, and some hip hop. Unmodified, my RX900 were adequate, with plenty of quality bass but recessed mids and highs. After burn in, these should be fine for hip hop.

JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?

Modified, they're very good for pretty much every kind of music I listen to. The mod is straight forward (got a screwdriver?) and took me (no handyman) about 30 minutes. Adjusting the stuffing took the most time.

JVC HA-RX900 modifications, a picture tutorial. (56k, forget about it...)

I don't own the RX700 but the RX900 have really solid drivers. Minor tweaks can dramatically tailor the sound to your preference.

Dec 24, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD280's are given far too much crap than they deserve. I actually enjoy my HD280's and find that they provide a sufficient amount of bass, especially when playing from my iRiver H320 (as opposed to my PC).

Seriously? Cause I really have fallen in love with the way they look. Just soo.. Chunky..
biggrin.gif
Did you try the tack mod.. for them?

Cause at the moment I just have some logitech 5.1 Speakers and before that I had cheapo headphones that costed 30Bucks from EB plus i'm not really that technical with headphones so I don't think I would actually fully notice if the headphones are shet. I just want alittle bass for the beats.. Not something that will blow my head apart hah..
atsmile.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 33
I like the Equation RP-21's a lot and the RP-22's have even more bass. The RP-21's sound great listening to Kanye West and Pete Rock/CL Smooth. Do a forum search and you will find they get a fair amount of praise around here.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 33
I recently picked up a pair of the classic Sennheiser 580's with 600 grills and 650 cable on head-fi for $160.00 shipped - LOVE EM!!
You could also go for the Grado signature with a pair of Alessandro MS 1's which are a mere $99.00 including shipping anywhere on the planet - a GREAT set of cans which sound better than the Grado 125's which sell for $169. Another choice could be the fabulous sounding closed back Denon AH-D1001.

Dec 25, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 33
The way I see it you have just two options here OK:
#1: Look for a used pair of Denon 2000's
atsmile.gif

#2: Keep saving and buy a plane ticket to a country where headphones are cheap and plentiful.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back