ALL of my music on 160GB Archos 5 or my faves on iTouch 32GB?
Nov 23, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Archos 5 has very good SQ (good DAC, amp, and s/n), just as good or better than the Touch. The custom EQ function isn't so great on the Archos, but then again the Touch doesn't even off the feature at all.

As far as the choice of having your whole library available at any time or having to live with a subset (or having to guess what subset you will want to hear in advance and re-loading your player all the time) it's not even a close decision IMO, go with the high-capacity player.

Have you ever heard of a 'playlist'?
wink.gif

Do you have any information on what DAC is being used in the Archos 5? At least manufacturer maybe?

Just curious...

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just converted all of my lossless to 245 VKBPS this morning
smily_headphones1.gif

well then I guess you are leaning towards the ITouch? If I had the Archos, I would go 100% lossless because I have a ton of space. Of course, I do not know how much music you own.

Nov 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 35
My question as well. Everyone is assuming that the archos 5 has poor sq, based purely on their older players? Used with an external amp, good source files, and decent IEM's are you telling me that it would sound that much worse that an itouch set up the same way?

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 35
Archos has a hit or miss record with the sound quality of their players. Thus the archos is probably a bit of a gamble. I've always been a fan of their design though.

I don't know if Ipods have gotten better since my last experience with them (5g "classic", 1g Nano, 1g Iphone). Personally, I have yet to be impressed with the sound of an ipod.

Nov 24, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #21 of 35
This is sort of my point. It's not as if stock apple products are known to be spectacular. That's why mine has been rockboxed and amped. I actually have ordered an Archos 5, should be here in a week. Somehow, I think that the updated internals, with an amp, my sure's and flac or ogg files (try that ipod!) won't be a step backwards. I'll provide a report when it gets here, so far it seem that there has been nobody here on head-fi that has actually compared them yet
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nywytboy68, have you actually compared an Archos 5 and a Touch?

Since the new 5 is only slightly better than the previous versions in SQ, and I've tried a few of the older models that coworkers have/had, I'd definitely say that the Touch 2G has the better SQ. Archos really isn't going to make it a player that has the SQ of the Touch or iPod classic, Zune's, Sony's, Fuze or clip, or Cowon players.
I'll test the 5 out for the sake of this thread (when I get 1 in hand), but I've yet to find an Archos that has even decent sq, only their video playback is impressive.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the new 5 is only slightly better than the previous versions in SQ, and I've tried a few of the older models that coworkers have/had, I'd definitely say that the Touch 2G has the better SQ. Archos really isn't going to make it a player that has the SQ of the Touch or iPod classic, Zune's, Sony's, Fuze or clip, or Cowon players.
I'll test the 5 out for the sake of this thread (when I get 1 in hand), but I've yet to find an Archos that has even decent sq, only their video playback is impressive.

So you made the statement "No way in HELL does the 5 or 7 sound even CLOSE to the Touch!!!" without even hearing the Archos 5.

Well, guess you just earned your official Head-Fi review card...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #24 of 35
I knew it, nywytboy68 likes to spread FOTM rummors.
biggrin.gif
You are going to pay for making me buy that Sony mp3 player while I was happy with my Sansa players.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #25 of 35
i guess, id rather be able to put the music in my pocket and listen to what i want to listen to: touch.

the question is like this: hummer and trailer or cooper mini?

it is really just impossible to see why you would stage those two together.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #26 of 35
I think the only reason to even consider one over the other is if you really want to use the touch for all it's features besides music playback. ie internet browser, games, etc.
How much music would you be sacrificing with 32gb?

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #27 of 35
It all depends on how much music you really want with you and the quality(bit rate) for me once a 32 gig nano comes out i'll just stick with that at a 320 bit rate until small flash drive players hit 128gb+ and then I will just switch to lossless which will be easy since I rip everything to lossless first and just convert to 320 for my nano. Bulky players like the 160 gig ipod are just to big for me.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #28 of 35
LMAO!!!! Sony kicks azz in sq, the iPod Touch is solid as well, and the ONLY player I haven't tried yet is the Archos 5 and I'm blacklisted? LOL - bite me!!! I'll still stand by my statement, as the Archos players all suck where SQ is concerned. The only people here who can "attest" to it's "superior SQ, and the ability to play lossless" as making it so perfect are the Archos fanboi's. I pledge allegiance to NO BRAND!!! Included THAT in my Head-Fi report card people!!! LOL!!!

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #30 of 35
Thanks for the link writemejamie. It looks good, but it seems like an amp would benefit it tremendously. Will an amp help to reduce the distortion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back