ALL of my music on 160GB Archos 5 or my faves on iTouch 32GB?
Nov 26, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only people here who can "attest" to it's "superior SQ, and the ability to play lossless" as making it so perfect are the Archos fanboi's.

At least they own one and have at least some credibility. The one guy here who says the SQ is poor... hasn't even heard it. Too funny.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by writemejamie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be interesting for some of you about sound:
Archos 5 MP3 Player Review - Archos - Reviews of MP3 Players and Media Player Ratings - MediaPlayerInfo.com

The review is fair on most points, although something is wrong about his report on the audio level which is quite substantial and as far as I can tell about the same as Apple and Creative players (unlike the prior model 604.) Could he have been reviewing the volume-limited EU firmware? Maybe also explains the distortion because if so he was probably running the volume wide open. (I don't know how EU customers can stand this stuff.)

Also he has a few other odd takes, such as bemoaning the fact that the Archos 5 doesn't automatically establish a WiFi connection. WiFi is one of the most power-consumptive feature on a portable player and the last thing you want is the player activating WiFi in the background when you don't need or want it. The Touch works the same way as the Archos (creates a WiFi connection only if you are using a feature that requires it) but oddly enough he praises the Touch for this! Hmmm....

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The review is fair on most points, although something is wrong about his report on the audio level which is quite substantial and as far as I can tell about the same as Apple and Creative players (unlike the prior model 604.) Could he have been reviewing the volume-limited EU firmware?

Weak headphone output is a common complaint of recent Archos products.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least they own one and have at least some credibility. The one guy here who says the SQ is poor... hasn't even heard it. Too funny.

He's basically making a generalization based off of the performance off of the previous Archos players and his own admitted bias toward Sony which is of course probably not the most fair way to influence someones purchase. :p
Just because Archos has been previously lacking does not necessitate continuous preconception of poor quality attached to all of their future products IMO.

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #35 of 35
Hey, sorry if I've seemed to ruffle so many feathers. What I'll do is recant my opinion and wait till I get my hands on the 5 itself, then post my thoughts. As for the statement about my credibility, that's really pushing the envelope, as all the other posts I've made didn't seem to garner such a negative reaction. I have based my opinion on the Archos's past performance, and as such, apologize. But saying I have no credibility for forming an opinion about 1 player is uncalled for.
I have tried all the other players I have made comments about, as well as stated that I'm waiting for the S639 to hear how it sounds, as it's supposed to be the best ATM. So where did someone get the opinion of "admitted bias towards Sony" when it comes to me? Read before you post an opinion, but don't make false accusations, as this is just not the way it is. I happen to like Sony players, so READ BEFORE YOU POST!!! As for my thoughts on the Archos, this is a very biased forum, as is the way Head-Fi is. Read all the other threads and see if it's not "opinionated", cause 99% of every thread is "opinionated".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back