All obsessive hobbies eventually blend together...
Sep 13, 2005 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dgardner

100+ Head-Fier
Tonight I'm sitting here for the third night of transistor beta measuring 1000 parts and matching them... And it occurred to me that I truly need to have my head examined. Yes, another innocent hobby gone overboard. I must confess that my hobbies are all obessive and run serially through time.

Some past obessive hobbies and frightening facts:

1) Car audio - started with a simple head unit upgrade in my first car and didn't stop until three cars later when I had a 1300 watt rig wired with welding cables for power, custom doors, McIntosh electronics and a/d/s/ speakers. Frighteningly, I selected the last car based on how accomodating the doors were for large speakers and how big the stock alternator was. All other car features were just "details".

2) Crosscut Saw Restoration - started with the simple dissatisfaction that "collecting drift wood" to make the campfire "took too long" and the "fire went out before the beer was gone". Didn't stop until drift wood collecting turned into small log collecting, which turned into outright lumbering over the coarse of three or four vacation seasons. First came hachets, then pruning saws, then axes, then vintage two man crosscut saws, then felling saws, then competition bucking rigs. Along the way I needed to learn the lost art of big crosscut saw sharpening. Didn't end until I had bought and restored several saws, learn the history of sharpening, bought vintage sharpening tools, and spend a couple of hundred hours hand filing teeth like a competitive lumber jack. Frighteningly, I still have a 4oz spice jar filled to the top with iron filings from the first few restorations, as a lasting symbol of "tenacity".

3) Atlantic Giant Pumpkin Growing - started with a simple 40 pound pumpkin from the backyard garden one year and didn't stop until until I negotiated the use of farmland, grew several pumpkins over 500 pounds, created a worldwide grower discussion forum, flew to Canada for a world class seed swap (kin to breading race horses), and met Howard Dill - the father of Giant Pumkpin growing... My 15 minutes of fame came when I was interviewed surrounding the novel idea to post worldwide pumpkin weigh-in results live on the internet, prior to newspapers and tv stations scooping the results. Even negotiated with local city officials to have the municipal leaf vacuum truck dump over 100 cubic yards of leaves on my pumpkin plot one fall, to created enough compost for the massive plants.

4) Head-fi - started with a simple lack of satisfaction after I bought pair of Senn HD-570's and hooked them up to my portable disc player a year ago. "Its not lound enough... now what?" Didn't (hasn't) stopped after I built a CMOY, hand-etched Dynalo, dynahi, dynamite, M3, Millet Hybrid, blah-blah-blah... Even created another PCB for the dynalo and ended up selling about 200 bare boards. I'm not even heated up yet! Bought a DAC-1, HD-650's, thinking about K-1000s, eyeing Meridian gear... God only know what's next.

5) Other similar hobbies to talk about some other time....

So the morale of the story is "matching transistors 1000 at a time" is like "making compost 100 cubic yards at a time". - at some point... All obsessive hobbies eventually blend together...

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 14
My hobbies were aquarium fish, a pond in the yard, two 65 gallon tanks, a 29 gallon tank set up, mail order fish, then I moved and only have a 65 gallon and 29 gallon tank set up and ready to move down to one tank, but don't really want to get rid of any fish.

tobacco pipes and tobacco, started with smoking crappy cigars and a friend introduced me to a pipe, bought a pipe and tobacco, and within a couple years, I have about 70 pipes and about as much tobacco as I can smoke in over 20 years based on current consumption.

And of course audio, currently 3 headphones, dynahi, millett hybrid and want to keep building, but don't know what...

Sep 13, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 14
Molecular Biology Lab Work and Baseball.

I am seriously addicted to these two things.

I can work ten hours a day, seven days a week cloning/transforming/amplifying/manipulating stuff and never get tired of it. It is freakishly scary.

-Matt

Sep 13, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
I'm a whore for origami.

I had to ween myself from it.

it was scary.

B

Where exactly were you getting papercuts?
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

-Ed

Sep 13, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 14
Oh, yeah, dgardner.

How exactly do all your wildly varied hobbies "blend" together? LOL.

Other than the obsessive part?
tongue.gif

As for my obsessive hobbies:

1. Hamsters.
Particulary their cages. Not satisfied with the standard fare Habitrail and S.A.M. systems, I made my own by modifying clear storage bins. I even created a 7 story hamster "highrise" unit, with tubes between the floors, so the entire thing was one huge cage. I have gone as far as milling one with cast acrylic sheet stock. I think many of my friends and family thought I lost my mind when I was building it. Yes, my hamsters have lived in some pretty state of the art environments. Right down to their water bottles. No standard fare ball bearing backwash, drip city water bottles. No, they must have custom made water "towers" with special water valve tubes.

2. Computers.
What part I focus on comes and goes. I went through a "tiny" phase, where I had to make the smallest computer I could possibly make with off the shelf parts (and by off the shelf, I was counting hella expensive industrial SBC's). Now I'm on the Silent PC obsession. I've even gone as far as using Brown Bread sound deadening material in my computer cases, along with Sonex foam inside.

3. Head-fi, or course.
Yep, I still keep posting here. At first it was a new place to discuss new toys, then it became a fun place to hang out and "chat". Then going to meets made many friendships, and over time, this place has become like a family. (although getting too touchy feely about it gets me banned.) Delving into DIY and smoking the solder has really hooked me into this place.

How do all these blend together?

Easy.

I need a computer to post here.
I listen to headphones often when posting.
Loud computers detract from headphone listening.
I made my computers dead quiet.
And, uh,... my avatar has a bouncing hamster.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Sep 13, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
O
1. Hamsters.
Particulary their cages. Not satisfied with the standard fare Habitrail and S.A.M. systems, I made my own by modifying clear storage bins. I even created a 7 story hamster "highrise" unit, with tubes between the floors, so the entire thing was one huge cage. I have gone as far as milling one with cast acrylic sheet stock. I think many of my friends and family thought I lost my mind when I was building it. Yes, my hamsters have lived in some pretty state of the art environments. Right down to their water bottles. No standard fare ball bearing backwash, drip city water bottles. No, they must have custom made water "towers" with special water valve tubes.

pics.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 13, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgardner
... All obsessive hobbies eventually blend together...

Agreed. My hobbies include: audio, photography, computers, bikes, etc. Too much stuff,
biggrin.gif

-fool

Sep 13, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #9 of 14
No hobbies are any fun if you only go into it half hearted. With that said all of the hobbies that I've been involved in (building and racing cars, collecting sports cards, comics, and other various items, kite flying, fishing, etc...) starts out cheap but quickly gives way towards full tilt investment of time and funds.

Sep 13, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Never really happened to me. Mountain bikes is the closest I got and that's just a means to an end: having fun in the great outdoors and keeping myself in shape. Built my own wheels and assembled the entire bike myself since that's the only way to get what I want and get it done right. Plus I'm cheap. Then it was just ride ride ride and ride some more.

Sep 13, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
How do all these blend together?

Easy.

I need a computer to post here.
I listen to headphones often when posting.
Loud computers detract from headphone listening.
I made my computers dead quiet.
And, uh,... my avatar has a bouncing hamster.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

You need to work on the integration a little more. I envision hamster powered generators powering the computers and audio gear. You could integrate the computer case and hamster cage so it looks like they run their own little power plant.

My hobbies in recent years have been computers, audio/DIY, and cycling. The computer and audio/DIY hobby fits together for me pretty well. I use a computer as my source and most of the time I am using the comptuer I listen to music. The cycling is the opposite of computers and audio. Ohio has some pretty crappy winters. In the summer I take advantage of the nice weather and spend as much time outside on the bike as possible. My time on the computer and listening to music decreases substantially. Biking is a lot less fun in the winter so I spend time playing with things indoors.

Sep 13, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 14
My gadget hobby started out building my PC. I actually spent a lot of time with that being my main hobby, which meant those days were cheap.

Then I bought an iPod and decided the earphones were rubbish and started looking around for info on better cans.

After that it meant I needed to buy amps and proper cans that were't portable.

Then came home cinema time. I started out on the visual side of things, getting some screens set-up nicely, then decided that the home cinema experience wasn't right without proper surround sound, so the receiver, speakers and sub came into the equation.
Then came the time to network everything so I could stream any video or audio around the house to any of the screens. That's been fun.

Next up is a set of Technics 1200/1210 decks to pursue my long-held love of house music.

I have a feeling this is never, ever going to end. I've grown to accept and embrace that fact.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back