All new Oppo uni player DV-980H with HDMI v1.2a for SACD
Jul 29, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #31 of 49
Anybody know what music formats the thing will play via an external hard drive? WAV?
MP3?
Apple Lossless!!!???

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #32 of 49
I have the Oppo DV981 and am happy with it but i am an audio buff to and the new DV980H sounds great with the DSD Raw signal being passed through it's new 1.2a HDMI.I have a Yammy RX-V2700 home receiver that also has 1.2a HDMI inputs onboard, same as new Oppo,so should be a great match for DSD decoding.My Yamaha's manual states that it can decode the DSD signal if a raw signal is recieved.Has a DSD on screen graphic icon that lights up if a signal is detected.I deffinetly plan to get one of these babies.I will keep my 981 for the better upscaling and use the 980 for audio(best of both worlds).The Yamaha RX-V2700 has 3 HDMI 1.2a ins and one out so there will be enough inputs for both players and my PS3 that has 1.3 HDMI out.Looking forward to any reviews out there when the Oppo 980 becomes available.Does anyone know what week in August the new 980H will be released?
For anyone interested in one of these new oppo's and live in New Zealand, I have found a person that imports the Oppo's here and has the new 980 on their website RapalloAV for pre orders & arrival in August some time

Aug 2, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #35 of 49
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that mine is being delivered today. I ordered it on the 25th and was expecting the 2-4 weeks delay mentioned in their website. Eight days to Canada - not bad. Can't wait to see how it handles SACDs.

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #36 of 49
Photo from the review link posted above:

oppo980_interior1.jpg

[yoda voice]

Clean board layouts the Oppo has. Very suitable for modding it seems.

[/yoda voice]

Aug 2, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[yoda voice]

Clean board layouts the Oppo has. Very suitable for modding it seems.

[/yoda voice]

[yoda voice]

Don't just think. Do.

[/yoda voice]

Aug 18, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YES.
From the manual:

• This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most USB thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device class. Other USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones may not be compatible.
• Supported USB drives must be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table) or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with NTFS file system are not supported.

Awesome ...
biggrin.gif

The IO Data Linkplayer had this ability back in 2004. The FAT32 limitation means all of the files on it have to be below 4GB. The Linkplayer could handle HD material so this was a major bummer and most people just used the ethernet port to stream large files. With hard drives getting so large now, an NTFS system would have been a much better feature.

I am still going to buy something like this after I upgrade my receiver to one that has several HDMI inputs for playing DVD-A and SACD, so I think that is the most unique feature on this machine. I am looking forward to hearing people's impressions of the sound quality over HDMI.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody know what music formats the thing will play via an external hard drive? WAV?
MP3?
Apple Lossless!!!???

X2
If it will play my AIFF files I am sold.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #41 of 49
So does this baby sound equal or better than the 970? Hard to pass this one up... so cheap.....

Sep 7, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #43 of 49
Hey, I have a question. How good are the oppos at just playing normal CDs? I don't really have any SACDs so, I'd be mainly playing DVDs in stereo (unless I can find a way to hook up my Cambirdge Audio 6.1 Surround Speakers to them) and CDs, again, in stereo.

Thanks

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I have a question. How good are the oppos at just playing normal CDs? I don't really have any SACDs so, I'd be mainly playing DVDs in stereo (unless I can find a way to hook up my Cambirdge Audio 6.1 Surround Speakers to them) and CDs, again, in stereo.

Thanks

All the raves for the 970 have been around the SACD function, not the redbook playback. I suppose it all depends on where you are coming from. Prior to the 970, I didn't have a CDP other than a Sony discman (I'm a vinyl guy) and the car. So for me currently, the redbook playback sounds decent. I am in the market of an new CDP in the mid-range ($3K), so I may feel differently about the Oppo once I get the better player.

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwilldermood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2
If it will play my AIFF files I am sold.

X3. If FLAC can be played off a USB drive and output thru the coax... anybody have a pdf/manual? This could be a great HDD transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back