All New Microshar uAMP107B Version Is Out For Very Low Cost !!!!
Aug 6, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #106 of 204
Are there any differences in sound quality among the two interconnects advertised in this thread?

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #108 of 204
you cant, hissing is one of the natural qualities of some amps, and so is the turn on thump.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #109 of 204
There are two ways to get rid of hiss:

- use headphones with a higher impedance
or
- increase the impedance of your headphones with an impedance adapter (building instructions are somewhere around here, it's basically two resistors plus wiring)

Out of curiosity: Which headphones were you using when you noticed the hiss?

Aug 6, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #111 of 204
If I were you I wouldn't try and look out for it, it only lessens the enjoyment IMO. Why look for a fault if you can't hear it?

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #113 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryosphinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear it a lot with jvc marshmallows. I hear it to a lesser extent with KSC75's. I'll look into the impedance thing.

what source, and what IC are you using?

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #114 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can make photos of the PCB, but I'll give Dara_D some time to respond. Need to recharge the batteries of my camera first, anyway.

Hey there! Can I get those pictures? ^_^

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #115 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My little Sweetpig amp is set up that way.

Hey Kramer, have you had a chance to write up a review on your Sweet Pig? How does it compare with your other amps, especially the Microshar? I'm thinking of getting The Hercules Sweet Pig.
cool.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #116 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryosphinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some thoughts:It's cased in very nice black plastic. It seems very robust. It has a nice weight to it. Just enough to make me feel like this thing isn't made of cheap material. The outside edges are all smoothed over, however, the inside edges on the face and on the back aren't smoothed at all, and so they're kinda sharp. Nothing a few quick swipes with a knife won't fix. There isn't any rattling inside when it's shaken, nor is the sound affected. The in and out jacks are solid. No rattling or give. The volume knob is very smooth. This thing provides plenty of power for my headphones (KSC75's). I keep the knob 1/8" from off. I tested the amp with some generic 2.1 speakers. It worked fine. Sounds significantly better than my computer's onboard audio.I've only got a few little problems with it though. There's a "pop" when it turns on, and it only turns on when there are two plugs in the jacks. So if I'm already wearing the headphones, there's no way to avoid a popping sound to my ears. Also, the power jack is somewhat flaky. When it's plugged into the wall, if you move the jack/plug around, the power blips on and off. If you're listening to music when you plug the power source in, there's a split second when the amp is switching from battery to wall power. If I take it out, I have to move either the out plug or the in plug to get it to turn on using battery power. If I don't touch anything, it'll just stay off, even though it's plugged in.

How about the hissing sound that Skylab reported in his review....did you get any of that?
frown.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #117 of 204
QUOTE=Hellenback;3167909]Is this the promised review from post#2?[/QUOTE]

No. Dara sent me a link to Skylab's review. He thought that for the CURRENT price, it was a very good buy!! Two problems: the POP when turned on that some of you have already discovered; and a hissing sound at all volume levels. Thanks for the review, Skylab.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #118 of 204
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what source, and what IC are you using?

ZVM Line-out. I've got a homemade IC from Radioshack parts. 22GA stranded copper wire, gold plated connector, modified ipod dock connector. Soldering is solid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the hissing sound that Skylab reported in his review....did you get any of that?
frown.gif

Yeah, I get hissing with my JVC Marshmallows and minimally with KSC75's.

Aug 7, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #120 of 204
I'm really interested in getting one of these while they are cheap, just wondering though, will they do a good job handling a pair of HD580's? I have a pair of Grado SR-60's now which should sound pretty good, but I am planning on getting a pair of HD580's in the future, will this be enough to power them adequately? They will be run out of a Zen Vision M and an older pioneer cd player (mini to rca cable connection). Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back