All in one options: GCHA, HR Desktop+DAC (Home Modules), Lavry DA10, Mini-DAC
Aug 5, 2006 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new DAC + Headphone Amplifier in one unit for around $1000. I'm currently considering the:
- PS Audio GCHA (through USB)
- Headroom Desktop Amplifier with Home Amplifier and Home DAC modules
- Lavry DA10
- Apogee Mini-DAC

If there are any rather noteworthy units that I have missed, please let me know.

So I'll be using those units through their DAC sections.

I'm looking for speed, clarity, details, and punch. I will be using low impedance headphones such as the SA5K, A-T woodies, and Grados. Suggestions and comments please!

Cheers and thanks,
Venio

Aug 5, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 13
Note that this Headroom option requires a dedicated power supply priced at an additional 399$.

I went with the Lavry. Then you are ready for your next step, a new amp later. See my sig.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a new DAC + Headphone Amplifier in one unit for around $1000. I'm currently considering the:
- PS Audio GCHA (through USB)
- Headroom Desktop Amplifier with Home Amplifier and Home DAC modules
- Lavry DA10
- Apogee Mini-DAC

If there are any rather noteworthy units that I have missed, please let me know.

So I'll be using those units through their DAC sections.

I'm looking for speed, clarity, details, and punch. I will be using low impedance headphones such as the SA5K, A-T woodies, and Grados. Suggestions and comments please!

Cheers and thanks,
Venio

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 13
Benchmark DAC1
Grace 901
Grace 902

Aug 5, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Benchmark DAC1

how does the upgraded DAC in the headroom dacs compare to the benchmark? i do realize the headroom modules are 1/2 the price.

and more to the OP question, how is the synergy between the Benchmark (amp/dac) and the headroom amp/dac (Serious Audiophile Package for $2000)?

Aug 6, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 13
I use the Lavry DA10 in my work rig fed by FLAC on a iRiver H140 directely connected to the W5000 and I am very happy with it: it is a very convenient small footprint, all-in-one solution. The headphone jack drives low Z can very well IMO, forget about high z like HD650 or DT880 though.
Actually today just for a laugh I brought to work one of the power chords I use at home (a Black Sand Violet Z1) and the Lavry + W5000 had a huge jump of quality (there are dozens of computer and printers connected on the line, so a PC can make a big difference): today I really loved my work rig
580smile.gif

Of the other possibility listed here I have tried the Benchmark and I think is a capable DAC, a bit too bright for my taste, but that can appeal others; if you don't plan to use a dedicated amp though I would certainly go with the Lavry, as it also gives you a very good amp for low Z cans.
BTW you don't specify your transport.

Aug 6, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Ive heard about the zhaolu a lot. How does that dac stand up against the lavrys dac? Is its amp decent? Nobody here has really talked about the zhalou with discrete amp. It looks very good to boot

Aug 6, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 13
This is right off the Headroom site, so it is the max module that requires the DPS and not the one you were thinking about:

CAVEAT: Please be aware that any module and/or DAC choice above the stock Desktop module & basic Desktop DAC will require the use of the separately-sold Desktop Power Supply (DPS, $399.00usd) in order to truly realize the full sonic potential of the upgraded module/DAC. The 'Max' module and the 'Max' DAC will NOT operate properly without the DPS. Remember that these deep 'Class A', high-end electronic components are EXTREMELY power-hungry and demand instantaneous, precise and perfectly regulated AC current delivery to sound their best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Hmm, interesting. I was under the impression that the dedicated PS was not required but recommended.

Regards,
Venio

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 13
To be honest I don't think they've actually sat down and tested all of the configs over at HeadRoom, so put that disclaimer as a general principle.

Home Amp + Home DAC will probably work, but neither they nor I will guarantee it. I will however guarantee Max + Desktop as working fine, as I run such a combination from time to time. Of course, if the guys over at HeadRoom would make a convertible that has socketed DAC's as well I could put that one to rest once and for all...
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 13
I've given the topic some more thought, and I think I might have to drop the Lavry from consideration. I'm going to go simple first and get an unit with a USB input. That would also eliminate the DAC1 from consideration. (Actually, I've heard the DAC1 extensively before and was rather unimpressed.)

So I guess it comes down to the GCHA, Mini-DAC, and HR Desktop.

I was thinking about the CEC DA53 before but apparently the headphone-out isn't that good. It sounds like a great DAC though. Blah.

Edit: Or is it worth it to get the Transit and then get the Lavry despite the added complexity? (I will be carrying my setup around quite often.)

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 13
I'd keep your range of DACs open. The M-Audio Transit isn't a bad way to do it, since you know you can get a clean digital out out of it.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back