all guitars group
Jun 18, 2007 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

papomaster

500+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Do you know a group which makes music out of ONLY electric or acoustic guitars? It can be in all their forms (guitar, bass, even ukulele), mixed up or pure (only 1 kind of guitar at the time), with or without vocals. If there are some small intrusions of other instruments, it could be ok. A bit like most of Uzume "Taiko Ensemble - Every part of the animal" album, but in the guitar world instead of percussions.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Probably much more traditional in terms of full instrumentation than what you are looking for but - The Hellecasters. I love the sound of that old plank and these guys rip them up.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 19
I'll put in a second vote for the California Guitar Trio. They do some really fantastic stuff.

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 19
Someone is guaranteed to post this sooner or later, so I might as well.
biggrin.gif

Al di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucía - Friday Night in San Francisco

Acoustic and classical guitar trio in a live setting.

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 19
Quite possibly not what OP is looking for, but Glenn Branca's symphonies are (in the most part) for massed electric guitars. Drums also feature as (for some works) do other instruments, but you couldn't do better for the sonic effect of multiple guitars. It's heavy metal for clever, patient people.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 19
I like California Guitar Trio's sound, but I'm afraid I may get bored with it. Are there any all-instrumental band's similar, except with say... some percussion?

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone is guaranteed to post this sooner or later, so I might as well.
biggrin.gif

Al di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucía - Friday Night in San Francisco

Acoustic and classical guitar trio in a live setting.

x2

Any self respecting guitar music aficionado wouldn't be caught dead without that one in their collection. Absolute magic.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like California Guitar Trio's sound, but I'm afraid I may get bored with it. Are there any all-instrumental band's similar, except with say... some percussion?

Look at my first post ; listen to some uzume taiko, it's an all-percussion band from japan.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #15 of 19
U didn't say whether you'd like classical, jazz, other so how about Trio Balkan--

Otherwise for classical the Romeros have 3/4-guitar commissioned pieces and there's lots of jazz guitar duos, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back