All around high end amp + one extra question
Sep 9, 2010 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

fonebone10

100+ Head-Fier
Suggestions for an all around high end amp for the following headsets?

-AKG K1000
-Beyerdynamic Tesla T1
-Sennheiser HD 800
-Grado RS1i (so what if it's not very high end
tongue_smile.gif
)
-Audeze LCD-2

Also, what is a good high end closed set of headphones for dubstep and other bass heavy music?

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 16
I would get a solid mega omfgwtfbbq current like whoa amp for the grados, LCD2, and K1000. Getting an amp that has power for the K1000 AND is quiet enough for the RS-1 may be difficult. I dont have much experience in this myself, but Krell gear seems to be well regarded for low-noise on their speaker amps - they used to demo with RS-1 to show how quiet they were! Other amps may be adequately quiet, but why waste time searching up and down for ages to find nothing? Just get the krell. m'hmm.

This amp being a hi-end piece of gear will require a preamp. Integrated speaker amps are inherently compromised solutions to a complex problem.

IME The HD800 and T1 sound better driven by something that has what some would call an "imperfect" output impedance, this is to say an impedance of more than 0.0001ohms. An OTL tube amp is great for this task. If you play your cards right the preamp for the speaker amp hinted at above will drive these headphones quite nicely. 

This also puts you in an excellent position to get speakers someday with a minimum of additional purchases. like just speakers.

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 16
One high end integrated amp, which doesn't appear to be at all compromised for headphones, is the Leben CS-300, with an XS higher spec'd variant.

It's received some rave reviews on this forum and elsewhere - primarily for it's sweet sound quality, but people also admire it's build quality and retro looks.

So it should drive all those headphones and more. Main limitation is that it's output is 12-15w, so won't drive loudspeakers very loud unless they are high efficiency.

This is based purely on what I've read. I haven't actually tried one, but it's on my wish list to try one day.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 16

What are you exactly looking for?

Please state as this is not made clear within your post?

Are you looking for a Solid State Amp or a Tube Amp.....

Also if possibly whats your budget?

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:

Okay

For a Tube Amplifier:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

For a Solid State Amplifier:

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/PhoenixEN.htm

What do you think about this?

Neither of those would adequately drive the K1000 IMO. I think it boils down to how important driving the K1000 is to you. If it is of high importance and you only want one amp you probably need an integrated amp with a headphone out. This limits your choices but if it were me  I would go for one of the following:

Tube:
Leben CS300
Cary SLI-80 (there's one on audiogon for a great price)

SS:
Beta22

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 16
The K-1000 is your stumbling block. It needs a power amp for speakers and there are very few amps that pull double duty. The K-1000's manual calls for 8W or better.

I'm able to run everything off a Moth Si2A3 because it has speaker taps and 3W of output which does well enough. Unfortunately, they're out of production and don't turn up terribly often. You might want to look at a custom Beta22 with speaker taps - that might do it.

Another custom option is Pete Millett's ECC99 amp (schematics at his website) that he designed specifically to power the K-1000. It can be built with an impedance switch, so it'll also do well with other headphones. If you don't tackle it yourself, it might be difficult to find a builder. There's no PCB for this amp and it really should be built point-to-point anyway.

Otherwise, I'd go with a headphone amp that has preamp out and pick up a power amp to drive the K-1000.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #15 of 16
Used Cary 300SEI if you can swing a couple hundred more dollars. 

You know you can.

Just do it. 

What's the big deal?

You can eat grilled cheese sandwiches. 

Who needs gas?

Or car insurance?

When you can have one of these:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back