All around Headphones?
Jun 26, 2015 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

WildStyle-R11

500+ Head-Fier
Hello again,
I'm not sure is it curiosity or stupidity...I keep looking for more and more headphones to get the sound just right. :D

Anyway I Enjoy music obviously...But I do not have a specific genre that I listen to, if anybody asks me what genre I like, I reply with I like Music. Genre is irrelevant as long as the song is good. And so I'm looking for headphones that will play most if not all music genres and sound like they should.

Currently own
AKG Q701
AKG K7xx
ATH PRO700MK2
And Hifiman RE-400 IEM's (I use them with E11K bass boost on)

Now the ATH's is my heavy bass music fix, surprisingly enough they are fairly well rounded, there are only couple of things that I dislike about them. Comfort being one of the worse things about them, Also hot, but regarding sound...EVERYTHING IS TOO CLOSE. Sure it sounds clean and everything, but some music just sound, if not harsh then tiresome.
AKG's EVERYTHING IS TOO FAR AWAY! :D Most music sound great, but the same music that sounds harsh and tiresome on ATH's is just too far away and sound way, to plain to enjoy it. Granted AKG's seem to do fast music well it's just too far away for me to enjoy it. But they are extremely comfortable.

In general looking for something that will be comfortable for very long sessions, subjective I know.
Sound that isn't too far or too close.
Bass must be there only for the purpose of being all arounders, But a well controlled one or basically fast sounding trough out.
A bit on the fun side perhaps not tiresome and at the same time natural. (Is it just me or I am saying the same thing over and over? Uhh...)
Obviously Clean sounding. Will try not to mumble on. :D

Actual budged 200£. I still wish to know whats out there so just trowing in names is good.

I will also mention that I am a gamer and Directional sound is appreciated.

Jul 10, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 9
I fired up my Cerwin Vegas yesterday, They do a good job at playing various music genres well. Not perfect, but quite enjoyable.

Man I'm willing to dish out even more now for headphones that can do at least similar and play variety of music genres good, maybe even better.

I have noticed they say Hifiman 400i does a good job at variety of music genres...Maybe even something more expensive than that in the 1k range. :)

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 9
the he560 from hifiman has a very wide genre bandwith. It is a fuller he400i, but more refined than the also fuller he400. The frequency response is balanced and unoffensive, but musical nonetheless. The 560s display the benefits of planars in the most musically pleasing way. The bass is authoritative, the lower mids are lush and the rest of the mid band is very articulate. The treble is brilliant, but not abrasive. There is no grado attack, the transients are fast, but very natural. The tonality is very impressive; it manages to be lush, but still very accurate and resolving. It does best with small ensemble jazz, but really is a winner in any genre. Metal is not difficult, hip hop has crisp instrumentals and smooth vocals and classical is another one of its wheelhouses with its accurate imaging and well rounded soundstage. There is nothing that really faults the 560 aside from the lack of microdetail that dynamics resolve better, but even then, the microdetail is traded for the black background and effortless voicing of a high end planar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back