Aliexpress Cables
Apr 7, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #4,261 of 4,359
Thanks, do you have any details to share on making a DIY ground box?
Ruh roh.

He has chosen the red pill.

The rabbit hole goes deep my friend, godspeed and may the force be with you.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #4,262 of 4,359
Apr 7, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #4,263 of 4,359
Ruh roh.

:smile: Gold - I was thinking the same...thank goodness for the nifty PDF.

Apr 7, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #4,264 of 4,359
Ruh roh.

LMAO

Apr 7, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #4,265 of 4,359
Update on the ethernet cables I purchased from alix.

I have these three ethernet cables and tested them vs one another.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...ain.52.38321802LN6245&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ain.70.38321802LN6245&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
odin2 ethernet

My internet chain goes from cable modem > ethernet cable > router > wifi > pc

I'm still at a loss of understanding why a better ethernet cable from the cable modem to router improves the sound of my audio system when listening to local files.

I understand that it should help improve the sound for streaming but local files? Anyway I guess its because less noise is transferred via wifi.

Anyway, the ata audio came out on top by far, followed by the odin2 then the ampcom cable.

I also tested these cables at work to see if they improve latency for the voip system. There was a small improvement in the latency with all of the cables but I couldn't tell if anyone was markedly faster than the others. I think the problem may be the cheap ethernet cables in the walls.

I really don't like spending $100 for an ethernet cable but I can't argue with the results. My intention was to send it back if the improvement wasn't significant enough but I can't stand to lose the improvement.

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #4,266 of 4,359
Thanks, do you have any details to share on making a DIY ground box?
There is a whole thread dedicated to basically my journey and to the end design of a high performance DIY passive ground box. The link was provided by dougms3. The thread contains a lot of my journey experimenting with ground boxes and ways to enhance the performance of them. A .pdf summary of what is contained in the thread was created by @EDhaenens. Here is a link to the .pdf file:

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/12304471....*MTcxMjU0NjI0MS4xNDMuMS4xNzEyNTQ2MzE4LjAuMC4w

Here is a thought I would like to share but is not directly related to this thread. Since most that visit this thread is an audiophile or avid audio tweaker… My experiences have proven to me different cables do change the sonic character and possibly performance of a system. Also what I have learned in the last year or so is that by lowering/minimizing noise, is “the key” to really improving the sonic performance of a system. Changing or experimenting with different cables will give you slightly different performance results. Lowering noise whether it be AC related or signal ground will dramatically improve system performance. The more noise that is lowered within and that affect the system the more you will hear. I am convinced the HF noise that is usually not audible to the human hearing actually masks data or information on the original recording from your gear. As layers of the noise is removed, you will hear more of everything. To the point your old system will be unrecognizable to you.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #4,267 of 4,359
There is a whole thread dedicated to basically my journey and to the end design of a high performance DIY passive ground box. The link was provided by dougms3. The thread contains a lot of my journey experimenting with ground boxes and ways to enhance the performance of them. A .pdf summary of what is contained in the thread was created by @EDhaenens. Here is a link to the .pdf file:

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/12304471....*MTcxMjU0NjI0MS4xNDMuMS4xNzEyNTQ2MzE4LjAuMC4w

Here is a thought I would like to share but is not directly related to this thread. Since most that visit this thread is an audiophile or avid audio tweaker… My experiences have proven to me different cables do change the sonic character and possibly performance of a system. Also what I have learned in the last year or so is that by lowering/minimizing noise, is “the key” to really improving the sonic performance of a system. Changing or experimenting with different cables will give you slightly different performance results. Lowering noise whether it be AC related or signal ground will dramatically improve system performance. The more noise that is lowered within and that affect the system the more you will hear. I am convinced the HF noise that is usually not audible to the human hearing actually masks data or information on the original recording from your gear. As layers of the noise is removed, you will hear more of everything. To the point your old system will be unrecognizable to you.
Yes, I believe it has to do with the harmonics of the frequencies,hence why companies are concerned with frequencies beyond our hearing.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #4,268 of 4,359
Update on the ethernet cables I purchased from alix.

I have these three ethernet cables and tested them vs one another.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...ain.52.38321802LN6245&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ain.70.38321802LN6245&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt
odin2 ethernet

My internet chain goes from cable modem > ethernet cable > router > wifi > pc

I'm still at a loss of understanding why a better ethernet cable from the cable modem to router improves the sound of my audio system when listening to local files.

I understand that it should help improve the sound for streaming but local files? Anyway I guess its because less noise is transferred via wifi.

Anyway, the ata audio came out on top by far, followed by the odin2 then the ampcom cable.

I also tested these cables at work to see if they improve latency for the voip system. There was a small improvement in the latency with all of the cables but I couldn't tell if anyone was markedly faster than the others. I think the problem may be the cheap ethernet cables in the walls.

I really don't like spending $100 for an ethernet cable but I can't argue with the results. My intention was to send it back if the improvement wasn't significant enough but I can't stand to lose the improvement.
Have checked out fiber optic cables for your ethernet? Not expensive and lowers your noise floor as it is not susceptible to noise either. You can test this out inexpensively with a $50 cost for 2 fiber convertor boxes ofd if Amazon and about $20 for a fiber cable.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #4,269 of 4,359
Have checked out fiber optic cables for your ethernet? Not expensive and lowers your noise floor as it is not susceptible to noise either. You can test this out inexpensively with a $50 cost for 2 fiber convertor boxes ofd if Amazon and about $20 for a fiber cable.
I did see that some people are using the fmc's with good results but I have to use wifi unfortunately.

Apr 8, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #4,270 of 4,359
I did see that some people are using the fmc's with good results but I have to use wifi unfortunately.
You can still use em to provide 100% galvanic isolation between your wireless access point and your server/streamer etc which should provide an appreciable improvement. Or do you use your server PC’s internal wireless card? If the latter may be worth trying moving wifi external with a wireless AP instead along with some cheap Aliexpress FMCs as a proof of concept. If you get promising results there then the FMC rabbit hole is as deep as you want it to be… 😄

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #4,271 of 4,359
You can still use em to provide 100% galvanic isolation between your wireless access point and your server/streamer etc which should provide an appreciable improvement. Or do you use your server PC’s internal wireless card? If the latter may be worth trying moving wifi external with a wireless AP instead along with some cheap Aliexpress FMCs as a proof of concept. If you get promising results there then the FMC rabbit hole is as deep as you want it to be… 😄
I ended up buying a fiber switch and use the adapters for my equipment that does not have fiber def lowered noise floor.

Apr 9, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #4,273 of 4,359
can somebody recomend cheap cables? here's what iam looking for.

RCA
XLR
USB C - USB A
USB C - USB C
USB C - USB B
What does cheap mean? If you want serious cheap probably Walmart Onnit stuff, but for good value World’s Best Cables on Amazon for rca and xlr uses Mogami and decent connectors. If you’re handy diy will give you far better bang for buck.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #4,275 of 4,359
can somebody recomend cheap cables? here's what iam looking for.

RCA
XLR
USB C - USB A
USB C - USB C
USB C - USB B
You'll probably have to ask a seller to customize anything for usb c. Its probably better to use an adapter because good quality usb c cables are not common. The connector is too small to fit any decent size wire in it.

You could try the odin knockoffs for interconnects if you're looking for something cheap.

Like this.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...acJosvrv&utparam-url=scene:search|query_from:

But its been mentioned quite a few times before that the xangsane SP-9003Ag are excellent for the price.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...=scene:pcDetailTopMoreOtherSeller|query_from:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back