Aliexpress Cables
Mar 13, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #2,988 of 4,456
Do you mean this solid silver one or the silver plated one? What would be an equivalent mainstream cable for reference would you say?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004715388581.html

Edit - for those of you in the States this looks very good (pure silver + Telegartner) and priced similarly:

https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-network-cable.html
Yes that one. The price had gone up a bit. I only paid $109 usd for the .5M cable. Id say the price I paid it was worthwhile. Current price puts up against other stiff competition.

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #2,989 of 4,456
Neotech fanboy chiming with (along with soniccraft) reputable neotech sellers:
audiophonics.fr
takefiveaudio.com (they sell some cryo-treated as well)
partsconnexion.com
hificollective.co.uk
vhaudio.com (for bulk non-hookup wire options)

If you do go down the Neotech ground cable route & want to go all in, I'd suggest picking up varying gauges of solid core occ copper and silver, from ~18-30awg, then combining until you have something you like. It may also be worth looking at their copper/silver hybrid wire.
I also am a big fan of the neotech and mundorf wire. Especially the mundorf supreme solder. If I'm soldering, I'm using mundorf supreme and nothing else.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #2,990 of 4,456
Agree, this Audio Sensibility cable is leagues better than the AQ Vodka it replaced.
In my case, $80 Ali solid silver Eth cable bettered the $500 Vodka ... And the AS cable is much better Q. silver ... The top Tubulus will better the AS though ... It's also high Q. solid silver but air tube insulated ...

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #2,991 of 4,456
In my case, $80 Ali solid silver Eth cable bettered the $500 Vodka ... And the AS cable is much better Q. silver ... The top Tubulus will better the AS though ... It's also high Q. solid silver but air tube insulated ...
I have heard someone say that the odin usb outperformed their AS silver statement USB which was quite surprising.

I haven't heard any AS cables myself but I hold them in high regard as the owner was very close to Dr. Ohno and has a license to produce OCC cabling.

The air tube dielectric seems to be very powerful, I have heard its the best dielectric.

I'd like to see more cabling on aliexpress making use of cotton, teflon and air as a dielectric.

@arpinnurmela swears by solid core silver with airgapped teflon. In my audio-gd master19 amp, the xlr and rca connectors seem to be connected to the pcb with air gapped copper. I think he's on to something.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #2,992 of 4,456
Incoming today was my Monosaudio P902 99.998% OFC Copper AC cable as recommended from the Audio&Video Cable Store.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802405474903.html

It's a very solid robust cable, thick and pleasing to the eye. IMO it's a solid pearl of a performer, outclassing my (authentic-knockoff) Odin Gold AC cable. Instantly there was something I liked even better about the sound, akin to an even blacker background with even more proper bass and natural character to the treble :). The Odin Gold is now shelved, thanks to this affordable monster of sound, and I think the edge it gives may be related to improved shielding, vs. a sort of wonky / fake shielding of the former.

Although exceptional bass and mids right off the bat, the treble was a bit hot at first, but for me that was evened out with a half width (1") of Silver Faraday Fabric Tape wrapped around the base of the socket only on the power source side, and closest to the power source itself. I tried full and partial wraps of the silver tape on both sides, and just that 1" was my favorite. I also tried blue-tack dots on both sides but that was not preferred. So far I've only tried this into my DDC which is also via a Flux-50 inline power filter after it, but for now ain't movin' this, just let it burn in.
20230313_174441.jpg

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #2,993 of 4,456
I have heard someone say that the odin usb outperformed their AS silver statement USB which was quite surprising.

I haven't heard any AS cables myself but I hold them in high regard as the owner was very close to Dr. Ohno and has a license to produce OCC cabling.

The air tube dielectric seems to be very powerful, I have heard its the best dielectric.

I'd like to see more cabling on aliexpress making use of cotton, teflon and air as a dielectric.

@arpinnurmela swears by solid core silver with airgapped teflon. In my audio-gd master19 amp, the xlr and rca connectors seem to be connected to the pcb with air gapped copper. I think he's on to something.
I use to make a lot of cables, especially when I was prototyping for a few designers. Air gapped Teflon is preferred because there is less smearing from dialetric absorption. This is real and the difference is audible. The more resolving a system the more of a difference it makes. Basically a thin, larger OD Teflon tube than the conductor.

Mar 13, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #2,994 of 4,456
I received another static mat today. I ordered 2 and got 1. Anyways, under amp or amp ground box will roll off HF. Under DAC as in pic adds a bit of speed to macro dynamics. No other audible changes I can detect. I was listening while installing the mat so I can hear for any changes. Disconnecting and reconnecting the mat to DAC yielded consistent results. Oh and attached to BNC digital out as in pic gave me the change audibly. Clipped to a screw of chassis did nothing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 14, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #2,996 of 4,456
My concern with oversized Teflon/air insulation is how do you prevent oxidation?
Unfortunately, thats a risk with the oversized teflon. I was thinking you could try to use a large enough amount of solder to try and bridge the gap or wrap it in teflon tape but even then its still possible it will oxidize.

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #2,997 of 4,456
My concern with oversized Teflon/air insulation is how do you prevent oxidation?
Have to make sure conductors are cleaned (I use isopropyl alcohol) and the ends sealed off. Otherwise will oxidize over time.

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #2,998 of 4,456
Have to make sure conductors are cleaned (I use isopropyl alcohol) and the ends sealed off. Otherwise will oxidize over time.
And does anyone even know how much conductivity is lost or if theres any degradation in the sound when it oxidizes?

Someone mentioned that it doesn't lose much but I have no idea.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #2,999 of 4,456
And does anyone even know how much conductivity is lost or if theres any degradation in the sound when it oxidizes?

Someone mentioned that it doesn't lose much but I have no idea.
Never did a direct comparison, do don’t know.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,000 of 4,456
Careful with these Chinese selling and claiming pure silver plating over ofc wire, when infact it's simply shinny nickel plating over copper wire.
This titbit came straight from the horse's mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back