Aliexpress Cables
Sep 10, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #781 of 4,456
10 days ago I purchased one Odin Gold RCA IC and put it between DAC and preamp. I was still using odin 1 (1.5?) between preamp and active crossover, and between crossover and amps, and the combination sounded fantastic.
I then ordered a complete set of 3 other Gold RCA iCs to replace the "old" Odin 1s and received them a couple days ago. They came from a different vendor and, even tho they share the exact same photos, they are slightly different: the first set has plastic body plugs, these have metal body plugs that seem to be impossible to unscrew.
I'm not enamored with the sound at all. They system now sounds dark with a recessed midrange, vague imaging, bloated bass, splashy treble. I have 15 days to return them and I'm hesitating. It's probably just a lack of burn in - where they are located in the system they don't see much current. I hope things will get really better. It's impossible to see if they built the cable the same way as the first one... the wire is the same, but how is it connected to the plug? I dunno...

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #782 of 4,456
Glad to hear but I am afraid that usb c connection is not firm enough compared to usb a to withstand that thick and stiff cable... but still very tempting so I may end up buying one. I was initially eyeing on the silver plated ofc from xangsane cable, which comes in B C connection option as well.

Let’s see. My set is just a tablet in portrait mode docked on wireless charger. Don’t know if I will have problems.

Sep 10, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #783 of 4,456
10 days ago I purchased one Odin Gold RCA IC and put it between DAC and preamp. I was still using odin 1 (1.5?) between preamp and active crossover, and between crossover and amps, and the combination sounded fantastic.
I then ordered a complete set of 3 other Gold RCA iCs to replace the "old" Odin 1s and received them a couple days ago. They came from a different vendor and, even tho they share the exact same photos, they are slightly different: the first set has plastic body plugs, these have metal body plugs that seem to be impossible to unscrew.
I'm not enamored with the sound at all. They system now sounds dark with a recessed midrange, vague imaging, bloated bass, splashy treble. I have 15 days to return them and I'm hesitating. It's probably just a lack of burn in - where they are located in the system they don't see much current. I hope things will get really better. It's impossible to see if they built the cable the same way as the first one... the wire is the same, but how is it connected to the plug? I dunno...
I had the odin1 xlrs from several years ago and the odin 2 rcas I bought were much better.

There seems to be different variations of the same item all over the place.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #784 of 4,456
Just a quick update on these Golden Odins : If your Odin looks like this inside

Capture_2022_09_10_15_09_58_913.png

– you are getting Valhalla cable wrapped up in gold foil...

Valhalla<Odin1<Odin2
Also it should be 7 cores (or more) 14 AWG wire ...

Quality 15 Core Vallhala AC Cable (Same as the above with X2 cores but no golden foil) But it might be a good idea to upgrade the plugs...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #786 of 4,456

Valhalla<Odin1<Odin2

Quality 15 Core Vallhala AC Cable (Same at the above with X2 cores but no golden foil) But it might be a good idea to upgrade the plugs...
Thats about what I'd expect from these aliexpress sellers.

Perhaps thats why the new gold odin cable I got sounds different than the old one I had and it was slightly thinner.

Also explains the sudden price drop from about $180 to $50.

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #787 of 4,456

Capture_2022_09_10_15_09_58_913.png

Valhalla<Odin1<Odin2

Quality 15 Core Vallhala AC Cable (Same at the above with X2 cores but no golden foil) But it might be a good idea to upgrade the plugs...
What I got has 7 conductors, gold foil and the wire sleeving does not have the colored stripes. I opened it up to inspect and apply Furutech Nano Liquid to conductors and connector contacts when I first got it. Looked like 14ga all silver, no trace of copper which surprised me.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #789 of 4,456
What I got has 7 conductors, gold foil and the wire sleeving does not have the colored stripes. I opened it up to inspect and apply Furutech Nano Liquid to conductors and connector contacts when I first got it. Looked like 14ga all silver, no trace of copper which surprised me.
Can't wait to try this Furutech Nano Liquid on my plugs and brand new outlet.

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #790 of 4,456
Hey guys, giving an update on burn-in with my (knockoff of course) Odin Gold AC cable

shown with the RCA damping plugs which make a barely discernable difference even using 2
20220815_144520.jpg

Been burning it in powering my power conditioner that's central to my system for 24 days. I've left the power conditioner on 24/7 with a medium/low AC load (powering a wall wart and a DDC (DI-20 audio bridge). Today my system was sounding a bit darker with softer dynamics the way it was, and I'm using a WireWorld Aurora 7 blue AC power cable from the power conditioner to the tube amp. Here's what I tried:

- standard black IEC AC cable (extra thick gauge) into the power conditioner (instead of the Odin Gold), with same Wireworld Aurora 7 into the amp
Improved dynamics / slam and clarity with upper extension

- standard black IEC AC cable (extra thick gauge) into the power conditioner with Odin Gold into the amp
Sense of realism / organic quality are improved, but at expense of dynamics. FR was hella wide, with neutral recordings borderlining on dark and bright recordings becoming fatiguingly bright

- Wireworld Aurora 7 into the power conditioner with Odin Gold into the amp
Now THIS is the master of performance!! Super sense of realism / analogue-ness and weight / slam to the drums, with extension great in both directions. Here however the highs are tad too unforgiving, which I likely attribute to the Wireworld Aurora 7 as it's known to be a somewhat bright cable.

I reversed the above combination back to how it was, so I can burn-in the Odin Gold a little more, being that I can leave it on 24/7 going into the power conditioner. It's surprising how much the sound has changed back to how it was, now somewhat darker with softer dynamics, but still good. So I'm thinking to get an Odin 2 for the power conditioner since it's said to be a bit brighter than the Odin Gold, yet probably not as bright as the Aurora 7. (opinions?) I'm actually surprised at how much a difference AC cables feeding a conditioner actually make, especially since it regenerates the power.
@cdacosta how many weeks would you say I should give it? It's already got 576 hours at 24 days.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #791 of 4,456
Hey guys, giving an update on burn-in with my (knockoff of course) Odin Gold AC cable

shown with the RCA damping plugs which make a barely discernable difference even using 2
20220815_144520.jpg

Been burning it in powering my power conditioner that's central to my system for 24 days. I've left the power conditioner on 24/7 with a medium/low AC load (powering a wall wart and a DDC (DI-20 audio bridge). Today my system was sounding a bit darker with softer dynamics the way it was, and I'm using a WireWorld Aurora 7 blue AC power cable from the power conditioner to the tube amp. Here's what I tried:

- standard black IEC AC cable (extra thick gauge) into the power conditioner (instead of the Odin Gold), with same Wireworld Aurora 7 into the amp
Improved dynamics / slam and clarity with upper extension

- standard black IEC AC cable (extra thick gauge) into the power conditioner with Odin Gold into the amp
Sense of realism / organic quality are improved, but at expense of dynamics. FR was hella wide, with neutral recordings borderlining on dark and bright recordings becoming fatiguingly bright

- Wireworld Aurora 7 into the power conditioner with Odin Gold into the amp
Now THIS is the master of performance!! Super sense of realism / analogue-ness and weight / slam to the drums, with extension great in both directions. Here however the highs are tad too unforgiving, which I likely attribute to the Wireworld Aurora 7 as it's known to be a somewhat bright cable.

I reversed the above combination back to how it was, so I can burn-in the Odin Gold a little more, being that I can leave it on 24/7 going into the power conditioner. It's surprising how much the sound has changed back to how it was, now somewhat darker with softer dynamics, but still good. So I'm thinking to get an Odin 2 for the power conditioner since it's said to be a bit brighter than the Odin Gold, yet probably not as bright as the Aurora 7. (opinions?) I'm actually surprised at how much a difference AC cables feeding a conditioner actually make, especially since it regenerates the power.
@cdacosta how many weeks would you say I should give it? It's already got 576 hours at 24 days.
AT 576 hours that is pretty close as it will get. From my experience at this point another 100 hours it will be close to where it settles in and stays. Did you use the Nano Liquid with the cable? If you did, just at contacts or also internally on conductors and connector contacts? Just curious.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #792 of 4,456
Can't wait to try this Furutech Nano Liquid on my plugs and brand new outlet.
You are in for a treat. Of all the tweaks I have tried in the last 25 years (and I have tried a lot) the Nano Liquid is the most universal performance booster I have encountered. The more mechanical electrical connections within or attached to the audio system the better it gets. I recommend treating a few connections first and listen so you can "hear" the change first. Then you will eventually want to treat "all" connections, will (or should be) obvious to you why.

Is the system you are treating a headphone setup, home 2-channel or home theater system?

Sep 11, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #793 of 4,456
You are in for a treat. Of all the tweaks I have tried in the last 25 years (and I have tried a lot) the Nano Liquid is the most universal performance booster I have encountered. The more mechanical electrical connections within or attached to the audio system the better it gets. I recommend treating a few connections first and listen so you can "hear" the change first. Then you will eventually want to treat "all" connections, will (or should be) obvious to you why.

Is the system you are treating a headphone setup, home 2-channel or home theater system?
Sounds good ! I plan to do the receptacle first … Rejuvenating those really old wires in the wall should definitely make it audible … Then the Isolation transformers and up the chain… Thanks again !

I have 2 Chanel setup that I really like to “upgrade” all the time 😊

At the moment: Isolators-> Etherregen -> SOtm streamer -> Gustard U18 -> Musician Aquarius DAC -> Yammy AS3000 -> B&W CM9

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #794 of 4,456
Sounds good ! I plan to do the receptacle first … Rejuvenating those really old wires in the wall should definitely make it audible … Then the Isolation transformers and up the chain… Thanks again !

I have 2 Chanel setup that I really like to “upgrade” all the time 😊

At the moment: Isolators-> Etherregen -> SOtm streamer -> Gustard U18 -> Musician Aquarius DAC -> Yammy AS3000 -> B&W CM9
Then here is a tip regarding the Romex coming from the wall…

1) prep outlet by cleaning all contacts with isopropyl alcohol and then apply Nano Liquid to contacts. This includes contacts inside the outlet where the AC plugs will be inserted.

2) Turn off breaker/kill power to outlet, then polish the wire conductors and clean off with isopropyl alcohol. This step makes an audible difference, don’t skip it.

3) Then apply the Nano Liquid to conductors.

4) install conductors from wall to outlet.

I have installed more AC outlets then I can remember and this process has produced best audible results. I use to use a different contact enhancer before, now only Nano Liquid.

Sep 11, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #795 of 4,456
Then here is a tip regarding the Romex coming from the wall…

1) prep outlet by cleaning all contacts with isopropyl alcohol and then apply Nano Liquid to contacts. This includes contacts inside the outlet where the AC plugs will be inserted.

2) Turn off breaker/kill power to outlet, then polish the wire conductors and clean off with isopropyl alcohol. This step makes an audible difference, don’t skip it.

3) Then apply the Nano Liquid to conductors.

4) install conductors from wall to outlet.

I have installed more AC outlets then I can remember and this process has produced best audible results. I use to use a different contact enhancer before, now only Nano Liquid.
Much appreciated !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back