Aliexpress Cables
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #1,651 of 4,456
Also I got 2 different AC fuses from Ali recently. So far, the one I've tried sounds too bright for my tastes. Do fuses change with burn-in? And if so about how much time is generally recommended?

I'm still mostly a skeptic for burn-in of any cables, because I've never heard any difference along the process, at least with any cables I've gotten from AliExpress, IIRC, though maybe a small change with a pure silver solid core interconnects from a genuine source before. Cables seem mostly 'plug & play'.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,652 of 4,456
Don't try this at home
20221108_020433.jpg

... or anywhere. This was my Monday night project, fully 'clothing' one of my Odin Gold AC cables with copper foil. Turns out the sound just became brighter (more treble and reduced bass amount), although perhaps the fidelity and sense of realism may have been a touch better. I spent at least 2 hours on Tuesday removing it. Painstaking process of removing bit by bit, with finger cuts a scrapes, and a lot of copper bit residue all over to clean up, and with fragments and stickyness permanently left on the cable.

My partial covering of about 75% as formerly shown on another Odin Gold cable still may be good - with that one going to my power conditioner I did hear an improvement, but this with full coverage going into my DDC, it just wasn't happening. Overall I don't recommend this procedure because although it technically is reversible, the copper foil tape seems to solidify within a couple hours making it very difficult to properly remove if needed, leaving residue behind on the wire. I may still recommend this concept IF you find a way to apply it solidly with some sort of film between it and cable, as to allow for easier removal. On the other mostly covered cable I'm just leaving it on because it sounds top notch, and I will have to accept the ruined appearance.
Take lighter gas to clean off the glue.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #1,653 of 4,456

Attachments

• IMG_7287 copy.jpg
    IMG_7287 copy.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #1,654 of 4,456
Don't try this at home

... or anywhere. This was my Monday night project, fully 'clothing' one of my Odin Gold AC cables with copper foil. Turns out the sound just became brighter (more treble and reduced bass amount), although perhaps the fidelity and sense of realism may have been a touch better. I spent at least 2 hours on Tuesday removing it. Painstaking process of removing bit by bit, with finger cuts a scrapes, and a lot of copper bit residue all over to clean up, and with fragments and stickyness permanently left on the cable.

My partial covering of about 75% as formerly shown on another Odin Gold cable still may be good - with that one going to my power conditioner I did hear an improvement, but this with full coverage going into my DDC, it just wasn't happening. Overall I don't recommend this procedure because although it technically is reversible, the copper foil tape seems to solidify within a couple hours making it very difficult to properly remove if needed, leaving residue behind on the wire. I may still recommend this concept IF you find a way to apply it solidly with some sort of film between it and cable, as to allow for easier removal. On the other mostly covered cable I'm just leaving it on because it sounds top notch, and I will have to accept the ruined appearance.
Pardon for my hands, I'm doing a small project at home. Usually they say for such cases you need paint.
Why paint?
To paint and throw in the trash. Joke .
Clean cable easily with Paint Thinner

Attachments

• IMG_7287 copy.jpg
    IMG_7287 copy.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #1,655 of 4,456
Don't try this at home
20221108_020433.jpg

The reason why it won't have the same type of effect as a copper braid inside the the cable is that there are alot of factors that come into play.

Theres intimacy and point of contact, % coverage and configuration of the shield, electrification of the shield, distance from the conductors, etc.

I have played with the sendust tape and 3m copper tape extensively on the wall outlets, circuit breakers, cables, inside amps and dacs, and found that overuse or too close to circuitry causes unusual things to happen. It kills bass and soundstage for some reason while at the same time making it sound more resolving. Or sometimes it makes the sound grainy or causes distortion at certain frequencies. Especially that sendust tape. It is very powerful stuff.

I placed a strip of it on my this thin aluminum divider on my audio-gd master 19 to see if it would help prevent any emi from the transformers get into the audio signal. It did reduce noise levels but also basically neutralized all the dynamics, bass and soundstage. Music just sounded flat but became more resolving and reduced noise.

Master196.JPG

This is one of the reasons why I dont like active noise cancellation products. I think its best to try and address noise before the audio chain, once the noise is already injected into the signal, it inherently becomes part of the signal and trying to reduce it or cancel it out at that point causes degradation in the music. Just a theory on my part but it comes from experience.

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #1,657 of 4,456
So, yeah, incidently, concerning the burn in of the Odin 2, et. al. and my desktop...I am thinking the power conditioner has also broken in some, but the sound is really unbelievable....especially with the Szalayi and 8 wire cables....its like the gear is utterly transparent and the music just hangs inside your head in this transparent soundstage... :smile_cat:

20221010_104653.jpg

Who makes those headphone cables?

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #1,658 of 4,456
Nov 9, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,660 of 4,456
The reason why it won't have the same type of effect as a copper braid inside the the cable is that there are alot of factors that come into play.

Theres intimacy and point of contact, % coverage and configuration of the shield, electrification of the shield, distance from the conductors, etc.

I have played with the sendust tape and 3m copper tape extensively on the wall outlets, circuit breakers, cables, inside amps and dacs, and found that overuse or too close to circuitry causes unusual things to happen. It kills bass and soundstage for some reason while at the same time making it sound more resolving. Or sometimes it makes the sound grainy or causes distortion at certain frequencies. Especially that sendust tape. It is very powerful stuff.

I placed a strip of it on my this thin aluminum divider on my audio-gd master 19 to see if it would help prevent any emi from the transformers get into the audio signal. It did reduce noise levels but also basically neutralized all the dynamics, bass and soundstage. Music just sounded flat but became more resolving and reduced noise.

Master196.JPG

This is one of the reasons why I dont like active noise cancellation products. I think its best to try and address noise before the audio chain, once the noise is already injected into the signal, it inherently becomes part of the signal and trying to reduce it or cancel it out at that point causes degradation in the music. Just a theory on my part but it comes from experience.
That probably explains why partial copper foil shielding sounds better to me than full, depending on which device it synergizes with.

Any opinions on if fuses need burn in?

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #1,661 of 4,456
That probably explains why partial copper foil shielding sounds better to me than full, depending on which device it synergizes with.

Any opinions on if fuses need burn in?
The aucharm fuse that I got from ali took quite a long time to burn in.

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #1,665 of 4,456
So you have a link to that seller? Doesn't come up in a search for me.
He made a 8 wire 7N copper cable custom for me, sounds amazing, cost $70... Not just inexpensive, but great sound. I had the EA ARes 8 wire and did not like it, it sounded strange. But this one really just sounds great. I have 5 of his cables and they are built like tanks and all sound great. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back