Alien DAC v1.1 Construction Thread
May 22, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #1,201 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At Mouser it seems to say the regulators can ship in 10 days:
REG101UA-3.3
REG101UA-5

...the adjustable one isn't available till hell freezes over, but these will work fine afaik.
What do you think? I was going to order some soon too.

Use of the REG101UA-5 means USB power is not an option.

May 22, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #1,203 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it is if you use it unregulated.

Which of course, sort of means a "REGulator" is pointless.
tongue.gif

May 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #1,205 of 1,562
Jeff Rossel would be the first suggestion at Glass Jar Audio.

Rochester Electronics (Rochester Electronics - Leaders on the Trailing Edge of Technology) apparently has thousands of the REG101UA-A. Whether that means you have to buy thousands to get one, I don't know - but it's worth a call.

Otherwise, you may have to wait until September unless some nice Head-Fier has extras.

May 22, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #1,206 of 1,562
Quote:

so there's no solution to this usb power problem at the moment?

I've had a quick look, there are a few similar chips, however pin outs aren't exactly the same.

Didn't have a detailed look at the datasheet and indeed, not 100% sure what's desirable or if it would work.

However, ADP3334 looks somewhat close... problems are that you'd need to do some pin lifting/jumpering or trace cutting/altering, the gnd and shutdown/enable pins are in the wrong spots for a start.

If you get desperate maybe ?

May 24, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #1,209 of 1,562
Quote:

so there's no solution to this usb power problem at the moment?

You can always just connect a jumper from the "AV+" to "5V" pad and run it without that regulator.
The difference is not a lot.
wink.gif

May 24, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #1,210 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can always just connect a jumper from the "AV+" to "5V" pad and run it without that regulator.
The difference is not a lot.
wink.gif

I add the 22uH inductor. Don't know if there is any difference. Just put it there to make me feel better.
biggrin.gif

BTW anybody has a spare REG101UA-3.3?

May 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #1,212 of 1,562
WHO SAID FLUX PEN?????

Brilliant! I'm working on my first pass at the PCM2702 and it's going perfectly. I covered the area with flux from the pen and using a Radio Shack 5X Magnifier (part 63-1309). I'm actually able to solder pin by pin, with no bridging. Apply a tiny dab of solder to the iron, let it sit on the joint for a second, and the solder flows into the joint. Neat! I'll throw some photos up when I can. I'm damn proud!

May 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #1,214 of 1,562
I'm trying to make sure there's not too much under the chip. No need to get that conductive junk under the chip where it'll never be cleanable! Yikes!

The combination of the magnifier and a 10x jeweler's look for inspection is cool.

May 24, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #1,215 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need to get that conductive junk under the chip where it'll never be cleanable! Yikes!

fyi: flux isn't conductive. People often recommend cleaning it just because it looks better cleaned and supposedly it can cause stray capacitance, but I've never had any problems with projects that I haven't cleaned the flux from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back