Alien DAC v1.1 Construction Thread
May 30, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #1,231 of 1,562
Did you use the flux pen when you soldered the caps and other parts?
You should not be getting those little solder peaks
(L15 is the worst example but a lot of the caps on the top side them have them to)

May 30, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #1,232 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you use the flux pen when you soldered the caps and other parts?
You should not be getting those little solder peaks.

You don't like my pastry-chef talents?
wink.gif

Well, it did seem to vary quite a bit (the solder peaks, not my pastry talents). Should I have used more or less of the flux pen?

Edit: I'm thinking it should have been less. I've not had trouble with that roll of Kester solder with other projects.

Thanks for the feedback.

May 31, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #1,235 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by mik000000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway.
I am assembling parts to do an alien dac and have some leftover opa634u 's from another project. Can i use one instead of buf634u for ic4?

Do you even need either of them?
(if you are not planning on powering the "DAC" from "A virtual ground amp" you don't need either of them)

May 31, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #1,237 of 1,562
Quote:

Do you even need either of them?
(if you are not planning on powering the "DAC" from "A virtual ground amp" you don't need either of them)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mik000000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am not actually sure. I have 2 boards and am going to make 1 as a standalone no and probably incorporate the other into a millet max more no

Comments inline, but you don't need to populate ic4. Power it from the USB port.

May 31, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #1,238 of 1,562
Quote:

More.
biggrin.gif

Then more it'll be! Thank you. I've got three more boards to play with in the future, so I should be able to get it right by then!

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #1,240 of 1,562
I have a working Alien DAC! Non-boxed, spread across my work table. Currently using some substitute C13s (panasonic fc 47uF/35V) because I can't wait for the others to arrive. Sounds pretty damn good. Can't wait to get the high-buck caps on there!

Thanks all. I appreciate your help! More soon!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #1,241 of 1,562
I finished soldering and troubleshooting my Alien DAC, and the computer picks it up fine, but I'm getting ~5mV of DC offset on the right channel, and ~20mV on the left. I'm measuring OR/OR with respect to OG. This sounds high -- does anyone have tips on how to get the DC offset down? I'm using the 33uF Nichicon Muse ES caps for CL/CR from Jeff's kit.

Jun 9, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #1,242 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by CingKrab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finished soldering and troubleshooting my Alien DAC, and the computer picks it up fine, but I'm getting ~5mV of DC offset on the right channel, and ~20mV on the left. I'm measuring OR/OR with respect to OG. This sounds high -- does anyone have tips on how to get the DC offset down? I'm using the 33uF Nichicon Muse ES caps for CL/CR from Jeff's kit.

CL and CR are DC blocking caps used on the output. Properly installed, you should not be reading anything above 1mV, and that's only the residual reading from a cheap DMM. In fact, it may be your DMM - or perhaps some issue with how CL/CR or R15/16 are soldered.

Jun 9, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #1,243 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CL and CR are DC blocking caps used on the output. Properly installed, you should not be reading anything above 1mV, and that's only the residual reading from a cheap DMM. In fact, it may be your DMM - or perhaps some issue with how CL/CR or R15/16 are soldered.

I cleaned up those pads a little and now I'm getting ~5mV on OR/OG and ~8mV on OL/OG, so it might be my meter I guess. I'll keep an eye on the DC offset on the amp output once I finish up with that part.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #1,244 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by CingKrab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cleaned up those pads a little and now I'm getting ~5mV on OR/OG and ~8mV on OL/OG, so it might be my meter I guess. I'll keep an eye on the DC offset on the amp output once I finish up with that part.

Those are pretty trivial offset readings, anyway. I'd chill out and enjoy.
wink.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #1,245 of 1,562
Hmm, I hooked everything up to my amp and while the right channel sounds fine, the left channel has no sound. It shows 0V AC on the DAC output. I also checked upstream at the PCM side of CL, and it is also 0V AC. Is there anything else I should check? I hope the PCM isn't fried...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back