Alien DAC v1.1 Construction Thread
Jan 11, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #556 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digikey 490-1691-1-ND

Yeah i know digikey has one, probably mouser also, problem is i dont fancy paying 45$ delivery for just one part
tongue.gif

I already got my other parts ordered somewhere else (they dont have those values
frown.gif
)

Jan 11, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #558 of 1,562
I'm from the netherlands.
PM or mail me if we can work something out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #559 of 1,562
my alien dac is up and running!! for once again...
biggrin.gif

how many db do you think i've lost with the absence of pin 12?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

thanks goes to:

My 1,5E soldering iron with the Weller tip! YES! really...i have it almost a year and it works PERFECT i bought it from Super-market! the only good with it it's the electric resistor of 25W which is alive all this time! and because it is grounded so it is safe enough for sensitive components... today i bought for it a Weller tip!
biggrin.gif

with moderate use all this time i have used only 2 tips...the second one is from one more 1,5E soldering iron which i bought so i can have a spare tip!

@masantros sorry man for not buying your soldering iron...i am a poor student, i'm trying to be as economic as i can be...
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #560 of 1,562
Okay well I'll probably give it one last go but I'm 99.9% sure I've killed the outputs.

Anyone here willing to to do an IC swap for me ?

I don't feel up to it.

I will pay a reasonable amount and cover shipping both ways of course.

I'll supply another 2702 or you can use your own if you want.

Jan 15, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #561 of 1,562
splaz check your mail...i don't see why you can't do it alone
rolleyes.gif

misterX gave an alternative.. anyway maybe i can help you.

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #562 of 1,562
NO problem!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@masantos sorry man for not buying your soldering iron...i am a poor student, i'm trying to be as economic as i can be...
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #563 of 1,562
For the CL/CR caps why is this one designed to use such large values? If it is feeding an amplifier, why would these values need to be any bigger than the caps normally used for input caps? I realize the larger value, the lower the crossover point and phase distortion and whatnot, but wouldnt a 1uf WIMA be sufficent? Please let me know if I am blatenly missing something.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #566 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1uf is fine. Honestly I have no idea how Alf came up with the 4.7uf to 47uf values he did for the CL/CR values...

Thought so, Thanks.

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #568 of 1,562
Well, I put together another AlienDAC today and this time used the 1uf Polyester caps that I did not put in my M3ified PINT. There is definatly some lowend rolloff. My Alien with the 47uf SILMIC II sounds much tubbyier on the bottom. The highs sound crisper with the 1uf I have, but that is probably just because there isnt the lowend to wash it out. Or maybe it is because I used an orange LED instead of red this time...
rs1smile.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #569 of 1,562
Well, it isn't the orange LED as previously suspected in the last post
tongue.gif
Every thing sounds peachy keen if I go directly into my pint, however with my Linkwitz Crossfeed in between the DAC and amp it sucessfully lowers the inpedance that the 'crossover' on the output sees. Since the resistance of the crossfeed is going to be somwhere in between 1k-2k, If I did my rough calculations correct, seeing a 2k load, a 1uf capacitor will form a highpass crossover at 80hz, which correspond exactly with what I am hearing. A 4.7uf should get me down to 17hz, so I guess I am off to see what polypro cap I can find in a 4.7uf value.

Thanks all for listening to me babble, If I don't make sence, lemme know.

peace out.

-Gross

It looks like Parts Express has some 6.2uf Dayton metallized polypropylene capacitors which seem to be a good compromise of physical size and price. Any thoughts good or bad? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...Number=027-427

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #570 of 1,562
Ok so the smd soldering didn't go as planned
blink.gif

i need some thinner solder i think, anyway i messed up on some spots, like the spot for R32/C32 and pin 4 at the 102UA. and probably the 2702, but think i can fix those on the 2702...
so, pin4 on 102ua and the r32/c32 are bridged as you can see in the pic i attached. Tried desolder braid, but that didnt work at all this time.
any suggestions on how to fix this? or is the board fubar now?

thanks.

(have parts for 1 more luckily
icon10.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back