Alien DAC v1.1 Construction Thread
Feb 7, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #1,516 of 1,562
Ahhh, thank you so much Tom, I forgot about Parts Connexion. Will head over there now.

I promise I won't go scuba diving in a pool of alcohol with my mini3 then!
biggrin.gif

I have one more small question, instead of jacks, I soldered my output wires straight to a neutrik plug. There is absolutely no fault in doing this is there? I thought I'd reduce an extra connection and make my setup a little cleaner.

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #1,517 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh, thank you so much Tom, I forgot about Parts Connexion. Will head over there now.

I promise I won't go scuba diving in a pool of alcohol with my mini3 then!
biggrin.gif

I have one more small question, instead of jacks, I soldered my output wires straight to a neutrik plug. There is absolutely no fault in doing this is there? I thought I'd reduce an extra connection and make my setup a little cleaner.

No - no problem doing that - might even be slightly better. We do the same thing with the BantamCableDAC - outputs are direct to a couple of RCA plugs, not jacks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #1,518 of 1,562
Thanks for the reply Tom, I'm very grateful for your help!

I have been unable to locate the caps you mentioned, so I'll just hold off for now. Maybe I'll come across them in the future. Can I use a cap with 47uf but at a higher voltage? Say around 25v? I found some of those on ebay.hk.

I saw the pictures of your swith film caps, what specs are they? I see quite a bit of audiophile film caps in the audio shops here in HK.

Thanks again tom.

Feb 8, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,519 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply Tom, I'm very grateful for your help!

I have been unable to locate the caps you mentioned, so I'll just hold off for now. Maybe I'll come across them in the future. Can I use a cap with 47uf but at a higher voltage? Say around 25v? I found some of those on ebay.hk.

I saw the pictures of your swith film caps, what specs are they? I see quite a bit of audiophile film caps in the audio shops here in HK.

Thanks again tom.

If you can tell me what "swith" means, maybe I can tell you which ones.
wink.gif

Yes, you can use a cap with higher voltage. Again, you need to be careful with the AlienDAC when it comes to larger caps. Once the lead spacing on the board pads is exceeded, then you have an issue with the integrity of the connection (and leaving the DAC unprotected from stray voltages). Sometimes, that causes no issues, but sometimes it does - it depends on the cap.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #1,520 of 1,562
Hi
My new Alien Dac has been working fine for the last month, but now the left channel suddenly goes mute from time to time. When i disconnect the corresponding RCA Jack and reconnect it again the left channel works for a while. Any idea where i might start looking?

Thanks

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #1,521 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by refuzoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
My new Alien Dac has been working fine for the last month, but now the left channel suddenly goes mute from time to time. When i disconnect the corresponding RCA Jack and reconnect it again the left channel works for a while. Any idea where i might start looking?

Thanks

I suppose this could be interpreted as a "copout" guess, but it sounds like something's loose - jacks, pins on the PCM, etc.
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #1,524 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Netdewt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never soldered electronics before, but I'd like to try and could use a DAC. What kind of skill level does this thing require?

Um id stay away. Try the bamtek dac first. It has alot fewer parts and is much easier for a beginner.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #1,526 of 1,562
Wow I feel stupid, the PCM2704 is not compatible with the PCM2702 is it?
I got a PCM2704 as a sample and thought it was compatible but i have everything soldered in and my (Reg 101-A) Gets really hot so i figure i have got a short. So i look up the pinout and realize that its got a different pinout from how the board is layed out then i compaired the PCM2704 to the origional PCM2702 and there a totally different pinout.
Looks like im going to have to make another mouser order....

Mar 28, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #1,527 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtisbeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow I feel stupid, the PCM2704 is not compatible with the PCM2702 is it?
I got a PCM2704 as a sample and thought it was compatible but i have everything soldered in and my (Reg 101-A) Gets really hot so i figure i have got a short. So i look up the pinout and realize that its got a different pinout from how the board is layed out then i compaired the PCM2704 to the origional PCM2702 and there a totally different pinout.
Looks like im going to have to make another mouser order....

Yeah ... DAC chips are not like opamps - no standard on the pinouts. As you've noticed, even TI's PCM series is different, one to another.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #1,528 of 1,562
Is it an replacement for the Reg101-33 and Reg101-A? Its very hard to get in US with international shipping and almost impossible to get in Europe...

Or maybe some fellow Head-Fi'er has 2 Reg101-33 and Reg101-A for sale, and is willing to ship them overseas?

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en

Users who are viewing this thread

Back