Alex Rodriguez Appreciation Thread!
Jun 10, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #31 of 36
"Reverts" to last year? Last year, the year everyone said he "sucked", A-Rod's line was .292/.401/.535 (adjusted). Even if you're a baseball "purist", i.e. looking at the "classic" stats (i.e., those that don't matter that much), he had 35HR/121RBI. His EQA was .315, his VORP was 51.6, and his WARP was 6.0. That is a great, great year. Not quite MVP-quality, but he certainly had a year any player would be proud of. Could it measure up to 2005, when he went .332/.439/.643 (adjusted), .350 EQA, 91.0 VORP, and 10.3 WARP? No, but it was basically the same as 2004, a year for which he was praised for going .290/.382./.524 (adjusted), .308 EQA, 53.7 VORP, and 7.9 WARP. Part of the reason for A-Rod's success in 2005 was due to the fact that his BABIP enjoyed a random spike (.349) and his IF/F enjoyed a random nosedive (8.6%). He has the potential to be scary good this year because his BABIP, IF/F, and LD% are not up to par with his career averages, i.e., he has been "unlucky" this year. If more balls start dropping (like they should), he could be doing even better.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the idea of a "clutch hitter" has been debunked. People can do it for a game, or a series, or a postseason, or sometimes even for an entire season, but this is inevitably balanced out by subsequent sub-par "clutch" seasons (i.e., regression to the mean). No one has been able to consistently score high in the "clutch" category for an entire career. A-Rod, for example, was -5.3 and -8.8 in 2004 and 2005, respectively, whereas he was +3.2 and +2.3 last year and this year, respectively. Once your team gets to the playoffs, it's a veritable crapshoot (see last year's champion if you want an example). To equate someone of A-Rod's greatness with Miguel Cabrera or Troy Glaus is simply ludicrous. Miguel Cabrera has the potential -- he has been putting up A-Rod-like numbers for a few years now -- but he needs far more playing time before we can put him on A-Rod's level. And Troy Glaus? C'mon. He's a very good player but his career pales in comparison to A-Rod's. That these two players were on championship teams means nothing. I could have been a relief pitcher for the 1927 Yankees and we would have had no trouble going all the way.

EDIT2: And the reason the Yankees suck is that they have a nasty habit of building a terrifying lineup with what seem to be almost purposely-placed holes, though they are doing better this year with only one. But it's really, really glaring. Doug Mientkiewicz? Are you serious? And their bullpen (aside from Rivera) sucks every year. They're just lucky Bruney and Myers are playing at around their 90th percentiles right now. Mariano Rivera should get better, but then again he is 37, so they can't lean on him forever. Their farm system also stinks. Basically, they have so much damned money that they have to make a few good decisions, but their management is so bad that they have managed to stink up player development and player value year-in, year-out for the past decade or so.

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by immoral flame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Rod will get my respect when he does it when it matters. If he reverts back to what he was last year, if and when the Yankees can get close to contention, then this hot start of his wont mean a thing.

If the team finishes under 500 or third in the east, then he's no different then Miguel Cabrera or Troy Glaus. Oh wait I forgot they led their teams to World Championships.

Do honestly believe one person can lead their team to the Championship? A-Rod had an unbelievable April and the Yankees were still struggling like crazy. He's only one person, if the team is playing like crap you won't get anywhere anyway. If you can't admit he is the best player in MLB right now then you are obviously holding some sort of grudge against him.

The way the team is playing right now there aren't going to finish under .500, so I wouldn't worry about that. I know the White Sox and the Pirates aren't exactly the greatest teams, but I think they've finally turned it around

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #33 of 36
While I agree, there is no such thing a a true "clutch" player, like there is no such thing as a rising fastball, I do agree that he has been very poor in the playoffs the last few years.
He just hasn't produced, what a .300/40HR/120RBI type hitter, would do, over a week or two, in the playoffs.
If A-Rod would hit on average, 2 HRs, 7 RBI's every week in the regular season, fans and critics, would assume that same amount of productivity come time for the ALCS. And sadly, he has been more like 0 HR, 1 RBI, which is nowhere near.

But the same can be said for Pujols, who isn't exactly "better" come playoff time. Sure, he had a big homerun last year, but on average, his past playoff numbers, are on par or bellow what he would do in the regular season

I just cant wait soon enough until he breaks Bond's HR record, so we can go back to "caring" about homeruns and what those records should mean

Jun 11, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #34 of 36
First off kick back on the numbers he picked up on sub par American League East pitching staffs alright. Jeff Kent threw up tremendous fantasy numbers for years helped the Giants get to the world series and then the team fell apart in game 6 behind his awesome leadership, oh yeah with Bonds' help. I notice you didn't mention his gold glove defense from last season also.

Anyways, do I believe that one person can lead a team to a championship? Yes dude, I played for many years until I got to college, and I've seen it and have been a part of it. I didn't say those player single handedly won those championship, I said they lead their team to them. You know when teams have a player to rally behind, kinda stuff. You know the kinda stuff that guys like Joe Morgan, Manny Mota and Dave Winfield talk about championship teams needing.

You can roll off rotisserie numbers all you want, but all anybody had to do was watch him last year and this year and you can tell theres a difference in him, not just mechanically. Also, from what I remember he had pretty good postseason numbers before that ill fated series against the Sox in 04. He's the best shortstop the Yankees have, the problem is he's playing 3rd.

All I said is for me to respect him he has to do it when it counts. Not that my respect means 1 cent to him. I was at the Big A in October of 05 when he routinely rolled over into double plays and had untimely hits, and I can vouch for it that crowd cheered louder when he hit in to the double play in the 9th inning of game 5 then they did when they got the 3rd out. Why cause we got to see baseball's "best" and highest paid player do nothing.

Baseball and sports in general are filled with state whores that go through their careers without any meaningful success. MVP this silver slugger that, blah blah blah. IMO most players would gladly trade those individual honors for actual championships, and if they wouldn't, well then thats probably why they don't have those rings, but very envious contracts.

My comment about him reverting back to last year was inferring to him becoming a player that overthinks everything as opposed to letting his talents just take over. Glaus and Cabrera ludicrous? OK maybe Glaus was a bit of a stretch but when he's healthy he is a 30+ hr and 100+ rbi guy. I'd take him and with the money I save get something that resembles a bullpen. If I offered you a guy thats gonna hit .260 with 30 and 110 but has a history of playoff success both individually and team. Or a guy thats gonna hit .300 with 45 and 125, but has a recent history of failure in the playoffs both individually and team, which would you take?

Yes A-rod is the better player, but if you're gonna base sports solely on numbers then I can't talk to you. Next thing you know someone's gonna mention daytime batting averages against power righties after the 6th inning. I just can't deal with those people.

I'll put it like this, game 7 down by 1, runner on 2nd bottom of the 9th 2 out. Who do you want at the plate A Rod or Jeter? Yeah at the end of the day either one of them could get the job done, but I'd rather have the guy that didn't need a "life coach" to deal with the New York hype.

I hate when people refer to the playoffs as a crapshoot, just cause Billy Beene used the word to describe why his A's get rocked in the playoffs despite having really good pitching staffs. Ok last year I'll admit that I picked the Tigers to win the World Series, but it's not like it was a surprise to see the Cards there. They got an easy round 1 the Padres a team that just couldn't hit, and like the Dodgers, crap their pants when they see the red birds. Then they got to play and hit off a wounded Mets pitching staff. I didn't expect Eck and good ole' Sandfrog there to do what they did in the playoffs...again, but they did. Thus we have last year's world champ.

Most teams that have success in the playoffs all tend to start with good pitching staffs, which by the way thats the main reason why guys like A-rod and Pujols don't do as well in the "clutch", and veteran leadership on the field. In 04 and 05 the Soxes were packed with both, in 03 the Marlins had Beckett, Penny, Pavano, Pudge, Conine, Lowell... In 02 the Angels didn't have the best of starting rotations, but they had decent guys Washburn and Sele, oh yeah and Lackey he turned out pretty good, and a dominant bullpen. I don't think I have to mention the 4 years before that do I Yankee fans? after all you were there. Just cause they didn't go the way you thought they would doesn't make them a crapshoot.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, i hate bonds because he's jacked up on steroids and HGH... i could honestly care less about his personality.

Bonds.jpeg

Yet you guys cheer Jason Giambi every night and booed Alex Rodriguez all last season
rolleyes.gif

Get a grip.

-Matt

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a hardcore Yankee-Hater (only the Dodgers are worse), but even I watch in stunned silence at what A-Rod is doing every day.

A-Rod is not a Yankee.

He's a Mariner made in the Edgar Martinez mold, a true class act who displays his talent every night without the fuss.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back