Alex Rodriguez Appreciation Thread!
Apr 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #16 of 36
Everytime he hits a HR, i have nothing left to say. Obviously, this isn't going to keep up, but man, im enjoying every bit of his at bats right now. Im a big yankee fan who has been pretty much behind him since day one, unlike the other yankee fans who'll probably boo him when he goes for a mini 0-8 slump
rolleyes.gif

Our pitching is in shambles, but once we get healthy, everything will be fine. Lets hope Giambi sends some more inviting texts to Clemens to get his ass here
icon10.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no, i hate bonds because he's jacked up on steroids and HGH... i could honestly care less about his personality.

Bonds.jpeg

Again, people only hate him because he's good. Is he juicing? Probably, but it's never been proven. Did you ever stop to think that the majority of the league is juicing? What about the pitchers? Suddenly it's not so amazing that a guy can hit 95 anymore -- they're juicing too, you know.

He's the scapegoat for Generation Juice for two reasons: he is one of the best players to ever play the game, and he isn't a media darling. Thus, he's famous already, and the sports reporters have a grudge against him, so they produce biased reports.

Simple as that.

P.S. My dad met Bobby Bonds a few times (mutual friend) after his retirement, and about four years after he retired the man bulked up. My dad asked him about it and he explained that it was a Bonds family trait -- nearly all the males in the generations before him bulked up around 35-45. When Barry started getting bigger around age 35, Bobby remarked to my dad, "lucky person got it early!". By the time Bobby was back in the public spotlight, the cancer had riddled his body so badly that he was back at his playing weight. Broadcasters, unaware of the bulk he had accrued in previous years, even remarked as to how "great" he looked. My dad knew differently.

Just something to think about -- in all likelihood it's a combination of genes and juice but it at least opens up the possibility of innocence.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 36
I thought this thread was ironic when I first saw it!

Yankees are three games under .500...

I guess A-Rod is a silver lining on the dark cloud of this early season, but the Yankees are struggling mightily right now.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

P.S. My dad met Bobby Bonds a few times (mutual friend) after his retirement, and about four years after he retired the man bulked up. My dad asked him about it and he explained that it was a Bonds family trait -- nearly all the males in the generations before him bulked up around 35-45. When Barry started getting bigger around age 35, Bobby remarked to my dad, "lucky person got it early!". By the time Bobby was back in the public spotlight, the cancer had riddled his body so badly that he was back at his playing weight. Broadcasters, unaware of the bulk he had accrued in previous years, even remarked as to how "great" he looked. My dad knew differently.

Just something to think about -- in all likelihood it's a combination of genes and juice but it at least opens up the possibility of innocence.

For your Bobby Bonds analogy, your pretty much saying, the Bonds family is the only one, out of millions, that grow muscles and bulk, after science agrees, is no longer possible to do, without chemicals???
That report, would be worth millions... erg BILLIONS if it was "true". But I am putting my money on false.

There has actually been no study EVER, that dictates a human being, can reverse the growing ability. Human (males) peak at 27, in other words, stop growing, and in turn decrease their high amount of new cells, etc etc. Its just proven facts.
And from there, you learn, that to grow muscles and weight like Barry Bonds, something, that is not made within the human body is needed. Don't get me wrong, you can be 45, 50 years old, and eat egg whites all year, and look like a lean mean fighting machine. But, according to your post, it "all of a sudden happens" But at the age of 35-45, its almost 5 times harder, to build muscles, then when your 25. So to enhance this, you use chemicals, which in turn, give you side effects.

Its kinda like trying to find any cases, where a humans "head" enlarges, after the age of 27, that does not involve people using steroids. Why??? because its impossible, to remove the water from your head, which is created, when your on steroids. And that is why, body builders, get such large necks, and heads, compared to their earlier years. And you can't eliminate them.

Bobby Bonds just got fat, from eating more calories then he burned. Nothing new there. And he pulled out some lame ass excuse to try and fool your father. That whole "family trate" is the same one, the other millions of American have, and its called, not exercising, and eating like pigs. But I can see how that would get confused with some type of superhero metabolism creation

Bonds is not hated, because he is good. he is hated because he "hates" his fans and the media. Which is the only "no no" you can do in sports.

Raping your wife (Mike Tyson), doing coke on the bench (Darryl Strwberry), betting on baseball (pete rose) all were LIKED GREATER, not HATED GREATER, because they were the best, and great at what they did. Why would it all of a sudden be different for one athlete??

We will forgive you for anything, as long is you don't tell us, you hate us, the fans. And thats the reason why. It could be 100 HRs in a career or 1000, its the same, when it comes to anyone

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 36
Starting at 35, Barry hit at least 45 homers in five straight years, something he'd done only once previously; 4 of his 5 best batting averages came during the same span.

Starting at 35, Bobby retired.

Apr 25, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a big time Seattle Mariners fan. ARod severely screwed over the M's back when he left us.

I could not dislike him more.

Im also a big Mariners fan, and looking at that situation now, the Mariners were not screwed at all. I'm not arueing that you should like him, but from a baseball view, there was nothing but "good" from the Mariners

They won more games the two years after he left, then they have have before. They were one of the best teams to ever play for one season, and the reason they are a ****** team now, is because of management, not players. When Pat Gilleck left, so did the winning seasons

The only thing Seattle lost out on, was paying him 24 million a season. He would of stayed, just like any other player, if the money was right. He is worth every penny, though I wouldn't pay for him, so its not A-Rods fault he left.

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #25 of 36
Well, the thing is, he led the M's on to think that they were a contender for signing him after his contract expired. He and his agent had no intentions whatsoever to stay in Seattle. And while we had an incredible year right after he left, we also missed the opportunity to trade him for some great young talent. That young talent might be able to get us out of the cellar right now.

I hate him. Plain and simple.

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #26 of 36
I liked A-Rod before last week. Now my respect has crossed over to man crush. His recent exploits have been great for his mystique; yelping to distract fielders, strippers in Toronto, and ninth inning game winning dingers. How could someone not love that?!

Let's forget the poor base running, and bad throws made Monday night.
wink.gif

So I was wondering what head-fi'ers thought of A-Rod now. Honestly, after last week, I like the guy more.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #28 of 36
Long time Yankee fan here living in Boston now. What Arod is doing in the 9th innings these days is incredible. Yeah he still may need to "prove" that he is a Yankee to most people in October (if the Yankees make the playoffs) but personally I still think he is the most talented ball player on the field. The Yankees are showing signs of life. They know they can hit the ball against Red Sox pitching. They just need better outings and better relief than they have been getting.

Any love for George Posada? Incredible what he has done in the past 12 years as a catcher.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #29 of 36
Wow is this guy hot or what? Went yard again with 2 aboard. Go Arod!

EDIT: he took another one out of the park. Looks to be getting back into the swing of things along with Abreu. Finally.

Jun 10, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #30 of 36
A Rod will get my respect when he does it when it matters. If he reverts back to what he was last year, if and when the Yankees can get close to contention, then this hot start of his wont mean a thing.

If the team finishes under 500 or third in the east, then he's no different then Miguel Cabrera or Troy Glaus. Oh wait I forgot they led their teams to World Championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back