Alessandro MS2i or MS Pro?
Apr 19, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My MS-Pro sounded terrible directly out of my IPod Nano unamped.

Have you tried any other Grado like headphone from the iPod's headphone out? I've tried the SR60 and SR80 and can say that they underwhelmed me. Not as much detail as I would have liked. That's why I'm leaning towards the MS2i. I'm hoping they'll provide more detail, not as harsh (although the Grados didn't sound THAT harsh)

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried any other Grado like headphone from the iPod's headphone out? I've tried the SR60 and SR80 and can say that they underwhelmed me. Not as much detail as I would have liked. That's why I'm leaning towards the MS2i. I'm hoping they'll provide more detail, not as harsh (although the Grados didn't sound THAT harsh)

Well, the SR-60/SR-80 are Grado's lowest headphone at under $100 so don't expect the same performance as $400+ IEMs, but they are definitely great at their pricepoint and sound alright unamped.

Going higher than MS1, I don't think you'll really get much of a difference and definitely nothing bang/buck without an amp.

If you don't mind having a huge open headphone like a Grado SR60 for portable use, go for it. Personally, I'm still a firm believer that KSC75 is the best all-round portable headphone. Didn't like the Sennheiser PX100 and hated the AKG K26 and K27.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #19 of 27
supermicros are tiny
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 27
Just my thoughts on the Grados......

I had the SR80s with an Ipod but no amp and it was too bright for me. I added the airhead amp and it just got louder, but not better. Switched to the Senn 580s and after a few hours of breaking in... it was just right. I guess I like a warmer sound.

BTW, I think the Grado 80's and 60's don't need an amp. But the Senn 580s definitely do.

Apr 21, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So after a few weeks of research I've decided that the Alessandro sound is what I may be looking for. Now the only question is do I buy the MS2i now or save up $400 more bucks for the Pros.

I currently have E500s which I'm loving. I play them straight out of my iPod's headphone jack and plan to do the same with the Alessandro. Is it even worth getting the Pros if I don't plan on using an amp?

Edit. I plan on using them in parks and while camping. Not while moving around or on public transportation. Just nice quiet places out doors. If you think the Alessandro's are bad unamped then please suggest me another open headphone that would sound good from the iPods headphone out.

I have both MS1 and MS2i, which I use via a Samsung Z5 dap (shouldn't be too different from your Ipod) I actualy do use an amp, however my comments here are based on unamped source (DAP). Neither fon requires an amp to sound great. I agree with comments in this thread regarding these fons being very open however if you are using them for sitting in a park rather then walking then they would be fine. The MS2i sounds much fuller than the MS1, however at three times the price they would want to woundn't they. As for the MS Pro, you have more money and less sense than most to consider them for an unamped portable mp3 player. I mean $700 (USD) fons for such a source is silly. In my oppinion I would buy the MS1s for your purpose, if you are looking for fons rather than IEMs. I'm not sure the sound will be better than what you have currently, however it is open and you will therefore be able to be in touch with your surroundings. If you do want to pay $300 or $700 for MS2i or Pro respectively, I'm confident that they will sound better than MS1 however I'm equally confident that for your purpose, diminishing returns will mean you spend a lot for a little. Get MS2i and a decent portable amp if you want significant improved sound from what you have.

Will all the Alessandros be driven by your unamped Ipo? Well yes, just, provided you don't listen normally too loud. They won't be as loud as your E500s I suspect.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want an open headphone unamped out of an Ipod, you can't go wrong with the KSC 75. It is that good.

With all respect, if the KSC75 were that good, why don't we all get a pair and give up the pursuit for better sound. I notice that gswpete lists MS Pro, HD 650 and GS1000 in his inventory.

Digitalbath3737 already uses E500s and is looking for great sound from a set of fons. KSC75 are great bang for your buck, but seriously could not compare to MS2i even out of an unamped Ipod.

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #25 of 27
The MS-Pro sounds very good unamped at least better than e500's.
If you have some money, just go for the pro.
You can upgrade your source later.
I tried both MS2i and Pro.
Out of ipod, you would not be able to tell the difference cuz it's very subtle for SQ.
The main reasons I went for the pro , MS2 is too heavy. :) and I believe in a good setup the MS pro would sound much better.

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #26 of 27
Have you seen the iBasso T1 amp? Absolutely beautiful and about the size of an iPod Nano. Usually sells new for about $80 shipped on eBay, but apparently you can buy off the manufacturer's site now as well. Apparently the sound is great for the price/size, and matches well with the Alessandros. I've been looking at getting a MS-1, and will probably pair it with this amp eventually. Anyway, seeing this bad boy will probably cure you of your amp-itis.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 27
MS Pros are big-time overkill for listening straight out of an iPod, and MS2's are just plain overkill. I would look into the Goldring DR150's for your purpose. They sound very nice straight out of an iPod, have a smaller than full-size form factor, and may have the sound you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back