Alessandro MS-2 v DT440: Quest for a headphone amp increased our headphone inventory!
Jul 23, 2004 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
For some months I have been on a quest for a headphone amp for my MS-pros. So why am I writing in this headphone forum instead of the amp forum. Well, any seasoned headfier would have already guessed – our household ended up with not only an amp but some new cans as well… let me describe the journey my wife and I had…

My travels have recently taken me quite a way and last weekend I had the opportunity to take my quest for the “perfect” affordable headphone amp to Perth, in Western Australia, just down the road some 4,000 kms from Sydney. There fellow headfier Snufkin put up with my wife and I plugging into his gear for more than two hours. First up thanks Snufkin!

I thought I’d share with you some thoughts on the listening we did. Yes, all the opinions here are based on a short listening time and all this equipment deserves a full and no doubt better review. But we had the advantage of being able to easily A/B equipment and these initial impressions might be of interest to others who might not have the chance for even this preliminary comparison. I should add that I have now extended the listening time on selected equipment in the pile of gear I carried home. This included a Talisman T-3H headphone amplifier (dual mono Class A with discrete components and NO OFF SWITCH but more on that later) and my wife bought the Alessandro Music Series Two cans….

The equipment auditioned

I did audition the HD650s (not burned in), Dt440s, Alessandro MS-1s and MS-2s, the Talisman amps (T-3H, T-3H1) and the MG Head OTL 32 valve amp, and the CDPs were the NAD C542 and Cambridge 640. I took my own fully burned in Alessandro MS-pros for the sake of comparison.

Music included a range of material provided by Snufkin as I left my favourite test cds in the hotel room. Travel 4,000 km and leave your stuff 10 km away, figures! But this in fact turned out to be a good thing as Snufkin obviously has some test material to specifically demonstrate different attributes of equipment. His test CD ranged across a variety of contemporary music… most of which I hadn’t heard before, for example: John Hiatt, Dead Can Dance, Fez Perez, The The, Ian Pooley, Thievery Corporation to name a few. Some of the material I was familiar with included Paul Simon’s Gracelands.

Headphones

First up the MS-1s are nice for the price but not up to the other headphones we listened to and so we discounted them quickly. Its unfair to criticise these comfy and sonically “adequate” cans. If I had bought these as a first set of cans I’d be very happy. They do sound better to my ears than my portapros (less boomy and real headphone look and feel).… but lets just move on. I listened to the DT440 and MS-2 cans principally and these are my initial impressions of these two headphone “giants”:

I loved the DT440 but ended up agreeing with my wife’s decision to buy the MS-2 cans. But “what” I hear you say… “he already owns the MS-pros”. Yep, and those MS-2s are so good I’ll tell you why we decided to get those instead of extending our headphone “sonic signature range” by buying something different sounding. The MS-2s are half the price of the MS-pros and the sound is very close. If I said 90% of the sound I might be misleading you because on some music it will vary depending on what you are listening for… but it is up there somewhere close and if it’s a bit less than the MS-pros it is not to the point of significantly effecting the enjoyment of the music.

The DT440s would have been my initial choice on first listen which included some less dynamic music. But when you change the pace and do an A/B you quickly realise the resolution of the MS-2s is just soooo good and the bass impact is really dynamic. My wife felt the DT440 bass was “more” than the MS-2s but impact and resolved detail were less. I agreed with this. When you add very complex and fast music, the MS-2s just stand right out as far superior. For vocals the DT440s do shine and I take nothing away from the sound - I’d be very happy to own the DT440s and at the price these are a steal. Both sets of cans have “groove” with the MS-2s just having more detail and groove.

The MS-2s are about half the price of the MS-pros in Australia. If I could have heard them earlier I would probably have bought MS-2s instead of the MS-pros for myself (that's what I told my wife anyway… he, he, he).

Comfort: for my wife and I comfort was superior on the MS-2s to the DT440s. I found little difference between the MS-2s and my MS-pros which are a tiny bit lighter. The Beyers tuck in under her ears and apply pressure there just above her neck. Once she described it to me I noticed it myself and it then started to feel a bit less comfortable. But overall both the DT440s and MS-2s are fine for comfort. The lower weight of the MS-2s over the DT440s was a plus, and they sit well on both my wife’s and my head whereas the Beyers sort of rested their weight via a point in the middle of the headband. Headband bending could well improve both of these cans comfort.

My thoughts on the HD650 were based on very little listening. No doubt the HD650s are very detailed and "nice" in a kind of way and I know these cans require some serious burn in before passing judgement. But if you want to get "into" the music I'm not sure they do it for me on rock n’ roll. HD650s are a bit heavy, bulky, and not as much sheer fun as the MS-2s. Both my wife and I only felt like listening to the other two sets of cans after an initial 5 minutes spent on the HD650s – this contrasted to over two hours spent on the other cans!!! I didn’t listen to any classical on them but can imagine they would be better suited to this genre. Mind you, when a kettle drum gets hit in a dramatic classical piece of music I’d still reach for my MS-pros, they still amaze me with classical music I’ve listened to for years.

Amps

Amps are such a difficult thing to decide on and in Australia choices are few. Having heard Kunwar’s MAD Anniversary edition amp I was ready to really enjoy this MG Head amp just for the valve sound and it did not disappoint. I can sum it up by saying I almost bought the MG Head OTL 32. What a beautiful smooth sound with bass just perfectly “mellow”.

Snufkin had me A/B a lot of music and I think the Talisman T-3H came to show me significantly "more" detail, across all frequencies but especially in the upper register. This amp uses discrete components instead of op amps which is supposed to leave the music uncoloured. The clarity and detail certainly stand out. In some music the T-3H stood well above the T-3H1 for “life” and detail separation between channels but on some tracks it was more difficult to say it was better than the other, the T-3H1 may have more “roughness” (not sure if that’s a term an audiophile would use). The T-3H is a true Class A dual mono amp (two completely separate power transformers and separate amplifier circuits), the T-3H1 is Class A but no dual mono with only one transformer. There is a preamp version of the T-3H as well but Snufkin said it sounded identical so I didn’t cloud my head with a try.

When I plugged the T-3H in at home I can finally say I can hear details “in full” from my CDP (NAD C542) and MS-pros. Playing albums that were a bit recessed now has them sounding just right, for example Lord of the Rings soundtrack now is superb but was almost a bit muffled/recessed on the NAD amp. HDCDs sound terrific with clarity and detail enhanced. The more I listen the better it gets and my much loved NAD T7741 surround amplifier is not up to the same level of detail and has a muddy bass by comparison... and I never thought I would say that, I thought these were my surround amps strengths!!! I should also restate for comparison my thoughts from a previous review I posted: that I preferred the NAD T741 to the Perreaux and Xcans3 headphone amps so this might let you into just how much I enjoy the Talisman T-3H.

I won’t be moving from the Talisman as far as I can see. But, I can understand why having two headphone amps is common with many headfiers... that valve smoothness is unbeatable with some music and one day the MG Head (or better?) will be mine…. but not till my wallet is talking to me again!

CD players

On these two players first impressions would probably mean you just cannot hear the difference in a shopfront audition unless the “right” music was used. Real comparisons in a quite home environment would of course be the way to go. But some initial impressions had the advantage of Snufkin pointing me to music that helped show the differences. My thoughts include the following.

Snufkin played some specific sections of music and told me what to listen for and yep, the Cambridge has a more emphasised "tinkle" to the sound of things that tinkle. Its upper treble has a certain pure clarity, although this might for some systems verge on bright. Once you hear this crystal clear upper treble tinkle come through you'd probably buy the Cambridge if you liked a forward bright sound. I played some music with large amounts of bass and I reckon the NAD had my vote marginally… but I could be dreaming this…

It might really depend on your system. My wife reckoned we would get fatigued with the slightly higher treble sound to the Cambridge. And now that I own a Talisman amp I believe this is true. If I had a valve amp that cuts the upper treble a bit then I'd go Cambridge. For a good solid state amp like the Talisman I’m happy with the NAD C542.

Both of these units are "superb" value but the NAD is a bit cheaper in Australia and the NAD does HDCD (which I love) and which I understand the Cambridge doesn't. I prefer the NAD remote and Snufkin prefers the Cambridge. I like the NAD remote because the buttons glow in the dark and are in the right place for my fingers. Snufkin likes the Cambridge because it feels solid and did acknowledge that hunting for keys isn’t as logical as on the NAD.

I don’t think either player would disappoint at this price point.

Concluding thoughts

Well, its nice to have a place in Australia to actually hear/compare/be advised on headphone equipment. I don’t hesitate to say how rare such good advise is in this country.

In finishing I should say that after some burn in the MS-2s have gotten even better. After I’ve had a few hundred hours on these I’ll write a detailed comparison to the MS-pros. And no… my MS-pros are not for sale ever!!!

I cannot determine any striking difference with the Talisman amp as it burns in but I do feel more strongly about the strengths of this amp as my ears start to pick up the nuances this amp can show. It has a magnificent feel of impact and life while not seeming to change the music in any way. A very clean, detail enhancing amp. Music that was good before now comes across as unbelievable, for example Dire Straights HDCD version of Brothers in Arms was okay on my old amp, and with the Talisman now blows me away with its upper treble detail and clean impact. I just heard one bit of music tonight that was so real I turned around to see if someone was singing behind me – a spooky real sound (I should also add that my wife is actually singing beautifully next to me with her MS-2s on: and they are powered from her substandard computer sound card at the moment). I’m re-listening to everything I own just for the experience of finding new details and impact in the music.

On the Talisman’s lack of a on/off switch. I did read the amp’s manual and I must now reluctantly acquiesce to the manufacturer’s decision not to have an on/off switch. The manual states it takes an hour to warm up this amp to its maximum performance (Kunwar can detect a small change in the bass but as yet, no I cannot detect this improvement, but heck the manufacturer made the amp right - they should know?) and so the switch was deemed unnecessary as you will choose to leave it on.

I wrote this in case anyone found my very preliminary experiences interesting, so please excuse my initial thoughts which may well be flawed as they are based on limited listening time. Feel free to add some more experienced comments.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jul 23, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 24
Thanks for the impressions Tony, it was nice to have a fellow enthusiast "over to play"
smily_headphones1.gif

I've spent a bit more time with the Cambridge player and I agree with you and your wife's observations that it may be fatiguing over time - I listened to it for a few solid hours yesterday on a few pairs of headphones and (specifically) through the Talisman T-3H the upper end detail started to make me turn the volume down a little (testing with DT440 and MS-1). Bass on the NAD player just seems a little better to my ears as well, but this could possibly be due to the different balance of the players making certain aspects stand out - these 2 players are both excellent to my ears, I really appreciate the build and look of the Cambridge (all metal vs plastic/metal of the NAD) but I think my personal favourite would still be the NAD
smily_headphones1.gif

Valve amps are a funny thing, a lot of people really fall in love with them straight away, I've found it hard to not have one around "just in case" but to me they (at least the lower end ones) will always be a secondary amp. The issues of switching on/off, warming up, changing tubes etc are down points to me in the long run and while it's nice to be able to tweak the sound a great deal, I'd rather just be able to sit down, headphone on, shut up.

No power switch on the Talisman amps was one of the first things I noticed as well and while the manual does state the amp needs time to warm up, I really haven't heard much of a difference with a "cold" amp vs a warm one - at least not nearly as much as a cold tube amp vs a warm one. A switch would be nice, but I don't see the lack of one as a negative
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I'd like to point out to people worrying about comments on the DT440 comfort - some people will find the way the headband is designed and sits/fits to be less comfortable, and they can be a little heavy. At no time have I found them to be uncomfortable, but many of the other Beyer designs (DT880 for example) I would consider to be quite superior in comfort (at least to my head!). Speaking of which, It's a real shame I didn't have any DT880s for you to demo, I would have liked to hear your impressions on them with the T-3H.

Thanks a lot for dropping by, it was a fun couple of hours
biggrin.gif
Next time don't forget your music!

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #4 of 24
Snufkin: Yep next time I'll bring my music and leave my wallet at home!

And I agree that solid state amps will meet all my requirements, in fact the Talisman exceeds my expectations on clarity and detail, but I still have that soft spot for the valve signature. You got me really worried when you said that the lower end ones are for you "secondary amps"... hmmm, so those higher end ones are worth listening to.... headfi I love it!

Cheers,

Tony

Jul 23, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 24
Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing them. Your statement about small difference between MS Pro and MS-2's recalls me what KR.. said: that MS-2's sound about 90% of PS-1's. I am getting MS Pro soon, so I am looking forward to confirm your observations. Anyway it seems that MS-2's are on the top of Grado Prestige Series (incl. Alessandro derivatives MS-1's & MS-2's).
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 24
Gastro54: With the NAD C542 as source the MS-2 are not bright to me and the Talisman amp is very much an amp that would enhance brightness in a system. Comparing the brightness of the MS-2 too the MS-pro I think after a few hours I would rate them as not bright but equal on the "brightness scale". For example I would not call the etymotic 4P/S bright despite its terrific upper treble and the MS-2/pro sound is no brighter to me.

I usually notice brightness as a need to turn down the volume (same as Snufkin noted). I have not had fatigue requiring me to do this with either can.

That said, I'll certainly wait for a couple of hundred hours listening before making any educated opinions known here. These are after all initial impressions.

But can I say... my wife now wonders how she listened to the portapros, and she loved thos portapros. In fact, it was the portapros I handed on to her that managed to get her over that "hump" of opposition to the concept of even using headphones (she was originally a speaker kind of gal). Yep those portapros cost me dearly (but heck, they let me get the Talisman in fact my wife insisted after listening to it).

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jul 23, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
...In finishing I should say that after some burn in the MS-2s have gotten even better. After I’ve had a few hundred hours on these I’ll write a detailed comparison to the MS-pros. And no… my MS-pros are not for sale ever!!!

that would be something i'll certainly be looking forward to! it would save me a lot of money to know that an alternative worthwhile upgrade from the ms-2 exists - the ps-1 is very expensive!

Jul 23, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 24
Oh, thanks for letting me know your impressions with my source of choice.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I take back my thanks because you made my future headphone choices more difficult. I like my Senn 600s and have heard the 650s with the nad and enjoyed it. I also like the ms-1's. You didn't make things easier!
rs1smile.gif
580smile.gif

Jul 23, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 24
Wow, great review.

How's the bass on the MS-2s?

I have only ever considered circumaural headphones and the MS-2s look uncomfortable. Is the comfort an issue at all?

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 24
I'd just like to add that the Talisman is a FET based amp, so no opamps.
I am not sure how that helps but certainly no characteristics are added to the sound.

As for the MS-Pro, I thought they would be heavier than the MS-2 but I guess they must be some form of lighter aluminium.
All said and done, the sound out of the talisman on the MSPros is a joy to listen to.

Jul 23, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 24
"First up the MS-1s are nice for the price but not up to the other headphones we listened to and so we discounted them quickly. Its unfair to criticise these comfy and sonically “adequate” cans. If I had bought these as a first set of cans I’d be very happy. They do sound better to my ears than my portapros (less boomy and real headphone look and feel).… but lets just move on. "

These MS-1s actually are my first set of cans, so I am very happy - they are the beez kneez! But to upgrade to the $200+ cans will take quite a while, so I'll just be content at drooling at your MS-2s. GO TEAM ALESSANDRO!

Jul 23, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
I'd just like to add that the Talisman is a FET based amp, so no opamps.
I am not sure how that helps but certainly no characteristics are added to the sound.

As for the MS-Pro, I thought they would be heavier than the MS-2 but I guess they must be some form of lighter aluminium.
All said and done, the sound out of the talisman on the MSPros is a joy to listen to.

Well actually the ms-pro's wood is very light and the ms-2's aluminum is pretty heavy compared. The reason why they are close in weight though is because the ms-pro's ear cup holders are metal vs the ms-2's plastic ear cup holders. Also the ms-2's headband is smaller.

Jul 24, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 24
3lusiv3: The bass is to me "good" with similar characteristics to the MS-pros. That is: punchy and tight with good detail. I'll write that detailed review with some "chosen" music in a couple of weeks once I can get the MS-2s off my wife's head! In fact we'll collaborate so you get two points of view. My wife's taste in music is a little different from mine so it might add to our conclusions.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back