Alessandro Ms-1
Sep 7, 2007 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Malakei

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, have a pair of sr-80s that are going on me, was looking at the ms-1s and some tell me they are modded 125s. Even sr80s cost as much as the ms-1s cost now. How does this guy stay in buisness if he sells these for so cheap? Perhaps he gets a ridiculous discount? Does he use used cans? Any impressions on the ms-1 and if they are worth the 100 bucks retail?

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 19
SR80-MS1 is not an upgrade IMHO. I would save the pennies for at a minimum the SR225s. The SR325i's and MS2's are worth a look too.

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, have a pair of sr-80s that are going on me, was looking at the ms-1s and some tell me they are modded 125s. Even sr80s cost as much as the ms-1s cost now. How does this guy stay in buisness if he sells these for so cheap? Perhaps he gets a ridiculous discount? Does he use used cans? Any impressions on the ms-1 and if they are worth the 100 bucks retail?

and the MS1 (and MS2i and MSPro) are produced as alessandros by grado-labs for alessandro... they are not modded existing grados

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 19
If you're looking for a more analytical, more detailed replacement to your SR-80, the MS-1 would be a good bet. But I wouldn't call it an upgrade. If you want a clear improvement, as Dash said, you should probably save up for the SR225 or SR-325i.

Oh, and it's not like Alessandro buys SR125s and then modifies them himself into MS-1s. They are specially produced by Grado, and use components that seem to match the SR125 the closest.

Sep 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 19
Right; the same upgraded "materials" are used in the MS-1. Also; part of the reason the MS-1 are such a relative bargain is because the surprisingly expensive to produce and install ID button is not used on the MS-1, and the MS-1 also uses the same less expensive "Comfy" pads as used on the entry-level SR-60 while the SR-125 uses the bowl pads. And of course keeping the price below the magic $100 mark may also help drive the $99 price.

Then of course the MS-1 also gives the option of a 1/4" or 1/8" plug, but I suspect that that has no particular effect on the price, but it is an interesting selling feature.

In addition; if a listener is outside of the US, the savings become even greater due to the way Alessandro sales are structured.

Then again; a lot of folks actually prefer the sound of the Alessandros.

Sep 8, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again; a lot of folks actually prefer the sound of the Alessandros.

Like me
biggrin.gif
. I wouldn't do it if I were you however. I'd shoot for a 225. I only didn't go for the 225 because I have the MS1's, and I enjoy them much more than SR80's.

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like me
biggrin.gif
. I wouldn't do it if I were you however. I'd shoot for a 225. I only didn't go for the 225 because I have the MS1's, and I enjoy them much more than SR80's.

Nope; I wouldn't recommend them even as a small step up from SR-80. More of a side step of course.

Mostly pointing out the differences between the Grados and the Alessandros, and suggesting that they are in fact probably worth what Alessandro is charging, especially throughout the rest of the world.

If it came out sounding like a recommendation....my bad.
frown.gif

...the MS2i on the other hand...!
cool.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the surprisingly expensive to produce and install ID button is not used on the MS-1

That was a joke right?

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was a joke right?

Actually.....nope!

Digging back through the older Grado threads looking for that last bit of info from the old-time Grado insiders; there it was! The comments that the ID buttons are really a pain to properly produce. And after the buttons are finally made to appropriate standards, trying to install them properly is a fairly precise and fussy time consuming operation as well.

So nope; not a joke at all it seems!

Sep 8, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 19
Sep 8, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 19
Only place to get Alessandro's(besides FS forum) is direct from Alessandro.

Edit: Save up for some MS2s.....they will not disappoint.

Sep 8, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #15 of 19
damn after listening to MS2i, RS2 and MSPro, i've learned how important soundstage was, MS1 nearly don't have soundstage, it's like flat and neutral sound and only emphasize in mids, bass isn't deep enough, less high extension
i think the upgraditis hit me now..
frown.gif
maybe RS1 or MSPro will do justice
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back