Alessandro MS-1 vs. Equation Audio RP21
Sep 3, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #16 of 23
What's great is if you take out the foam inserts the RP-21 gets even more balanced. The bass isn't as dominant, and the treble is so much more clearer
580smile.gif
. The RP-21 is definitely one of the best headphones in its price range.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #17 of 23
Right now, i'm enjoying my HD580s the most for most music, but what i still really like with the RP-21s is Jazz. With the extra bass and being closed (but still sounded somewhat open) it really works well with jazz. You get the nice small, smokey club feeling with them.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #18 of 23
Now that I thought I have made my final decision, people start praising the RP-21s.
tongue.gif
I think I will just end up flipping a coin.
redface.gif
I think I will be satisfied, no matter which can I get.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #19 of 23
2 completely different headphones. Made for 2 different things.

Kinda hard to compare.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by VolkswagenFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that I thought I have made my final decision, people start praising the RP-21s.
tongue.gif
I think I will just end up flipping a coin.
redface.gif
I think I will be satisfied, no matter which can I get.

Personally I think they are both very good. I don't think they should be compared to each other at all. They are basically apples and oranges. MS1's are open and leak, while RP21's are closed and isolate. MS1's are Grado's with the liquidy smooth mids and nice highs and great punch, while the RP21's has deep bass, less highs, and recessed mids. They are basically the perfect complement to each other (if you're under a budget.) I don't think one can say the one is better than the other, but only that they prefer one or the other. It's really all up to what you are looking for. Many of us have faulted where we recommend one over the other by saying one is "better," but remember it's all preferences.

Anyways...personally I think the MS1's are MUCH MUCH better
tongue.gif
. I'm just joking around, but seriously, RP-21's just don't have that liquidy smooth mids I love, and the punchiness, and it may lack some deep bass, but everything else makes up for it. RP-21's to me have recessed mids, chalky treble, and clamp my head. Some could argue the pads on the MS1's may cause ear-ache, but you get used to it. Just my .02 cents.

Edit: And I just saw that you didn't like leakage. Too bad...you would have loved the MS-1's
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 23
The MS-1s leak quite a bit and let in quite a bit of sound, but to my ears they are perfect. The best cans I've heard are the SR225 and the SR325i (I think they both have their strengths and are somewhat equals) and IMO, the MS-1s are better than both. Maybe it's because they're more neutral and can handle more genres, but it's nice being able to go from Radiohead to Boston, to Miles Davis, to Casting Crowns, and then finishing with some nice piano by George Winston and not having to worry about swapping headphones for different genres. I'm going to hang onto my MS-1s for the rest of my life
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And I just saw that you didn't like leakage. Too bad...you would have loved the MS-1's
tongue.gif

I think, I'll just ignore the leakage problem and go with the MS-1s.
redface.gif

Sep 4, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by VolkswagenFox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think, I'll just ignore the leakage problem and go with the MS-1s.
redface.gif

Good choice! While the leakage is pretty loud by general standards, it's more like having your computer speakers on just loud enough so you can barely hear the vocals. I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. They don't seem to get old or repetitive like other headphones can, and they still put a smile on my face every time I put them on
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back