Alessandro MS-1 vs. Equation Audio RP21
Aug 25, 2007 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

VolkswagenFox

100+ Head-Fier
I own Shure E3c IEMs and I am interested owning a full-sized can, and I'm not sure if I should buy the MS-1 or RP21. I've read the giant Equation Audio thread extensively and I've read through the MS-1 fan club thread as well, but I still have trouble figuring out which can is right for me. Isolation is no problem with me as I want headphones for home use and use my E3c outside the house.

What I don't want is sound leakage though, as I don't want to annoy my family with my strange musical tastes.
redface.gif
However, a little leakage is not a problem. So my question is: how do both headphones compare to one another, and also to my E3c. And, how much sound leakage do the MS-1s have? I listen to mostly hard rock and death metal, but also classical, some Electronica, a little rap, lots of podcasts and some other genres of music I can't think of right now.
tongue.gif

BTW, I am leaning towards the Equations right now, as they don't leak much sound, and and I have heard that they sound quite nice with all kinds of different music.

Any input is appreaciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 23
MS1 is kinda neutral and suited to many kinds of genre, i listen to jazz with my MS1 and they did well
IMO they leak like loudspeakers

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 23
The one that's starting to get my attention is the RP22X for a real tough rockin' sealed set for me and the kids! I also like the silver finish cause it'll look better hanging there next to my MS2i!

Just waitin' for the jury to come in on their durability and isolation compared to the V6.
blink.gif

....I'm kinda avoidin' reading about the RP21 though since I've already got MS-1 and MS2i and I ain't about to go rockin' the boat!
wink.gif

...I think I understand that the RP21 is quite a bit warmer than the Alessandros. I think.

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 23
I currently own both (they are my only full sized cans) and prefer the MS-1s (with *bowl* pads) by a considerable margin. Admittedly I am a Grado/Alessandro 'house' sound junkie, but not everyone feels the same way. If possible, listen to a set of low-end Grados at a hi-fi shop to see if the Grado house sound clicks with you. If you like what you hear, there is an excellent chance that you'll love the MS-1s.

However, the RP-21s are much better in the sound leakage department. In fact, the only time I really use them is when I want the sound of a full sized set of cans & block out the outside world (or to not disturb my wife). MS-1s don't leak to a huge degree, but noise from the outside wil greatly diminish your MS-1 experience (IMO).

In my home, if it is quiet (relatively speaking), I'll go to my MS-1s every time. If it is noisy, I use my RP-21s or IEMs. Keep in mind that this is not a condemnation of the RP-21s...I am using them in precisely the way I intended when I purchased them. In other words, they compliment my MS-1s.

Don't get me wrong, the RP-21s are nice cans with a sound signature that you could very well prefer. They are well worth the sub-$100 price tag. But if you are a detail junkie like I am, chances are that the MS-1s are your best bet.

Good luck with your search!

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one that's starting to get my attention is the RP22X for a real tough rockin' sealed set for me and the kids! I also like the silver finish cause it'll look better hanging there next to my MS2i!

Just waitin' for the jury to come in on their durability and isolation compared to the V6.
blink.gif

....I'm kinda avoidin' reading about the RP21 though since I've already got MS-1 and MS2i and I ain't about to go rockin' the boat!
wink.gif

...I think I understand that the RP21 is quite a bit warmer than the Alessandros. I think.

Rich, pick up a set of RP21s and let me know how ya like em. I have been eyeballing those rascals for a while now.

Sep 2, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rich, pick up a set of RP21s and let me know how ya like em. I have been eyeballing those rascals for a while now.

What! WHAT!! What are you saying; Rick! And have them maybe displace my MS-1/MS2i or even my HD600!?! No Way would I take the chance!

They do sound interesting though, don't they!
wink.gif

Rich.

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they do
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah; the RP22X is an interesting alternative to the MDR-V6 or MDR-7506 to help the kids keep their paws offa my MS-1 IF the RP22X proves to be a tough enough set of cans. The only worry I have about the RP22X is the much warmer signature than the V6. The kids pretty much agree that they like the sound of the MS-1 and really don't want to give it up.

...and that's cool.
Rich.

Sep 2, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 23
I think I will end up getting the MS-1s. The RP-21s are interesting though, many great reviews of these on head-fi.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 23
After more listening to my RP-21s, I now can say that I'm very happy. These are great!!! Especially amped by the uAMP107B. And they are even great for what they were designed for, studio use. Awesome!!
eggosmile.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #15 of 23
For the current street price, the RP-21s are quite a good deal.

Good sound for a closed can at this price point (although I still prefer the AKG K271S for closed cans).

The bass is strong and reaches, for me at least, the optimal quantity of bass. Anything more and it would be too much bass that would intrude in the sound balance.

If you want to use it without disturbing others near by (sound leakage), it should be way better than the Ms-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back