Alessandro High End
Jun 11, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 93
How can the MS2 be almost the same as a PS1, when the MS3 is only an RS1?
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkd
How can the MS2 be almost the same as a PS1, when the MS3 is only an RS1?
confused.gif

Well there is no such thing as a MS3, so I am guessing you meant a MSpro? The MS2 doesn't have any wooden coloring that the woodies have, it is also one of the most neutral Grados that you can buy, much more neutral than the 325 or the RS-2 and RS-1 which are a lot warmer. The only Grado headphone that sounds like the PS-1 is the MS-2, of course the PS-1 is a lot better, but the MS2 will get you about 90% there. The ms2 are very fast, very detailed with fast deep but not warm bass. They were my favorite Grados (besides the HP-2) If I could rank them I would as such :

PS-1
HP-2 & HP-1 tie
MS-1
RS-1

Please note I have never heard the MSpro as of yet.

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
Well there is no such thing as a MS3, so I am guessing you meant a MSpro? The MS2 doesn't have any wooden coloring that the woodies have, it is also one of the most neutral Grados that you can buy, much more neutral than the 325 or the RS-2 and RS-1 which are a lot warmer. The only Grado headphone that sounds like the PS-1 is the MS-2, of course the PS-1 is a lot better, but the MS2 will get you about 90% there. The ms2 are very fast, very detailed with fast deep but not warm bass. They were my favorite Grados (besides the HP-2) If I could rank them I would as such :

PS-1
HP-2 & HP-1 tie
MS-1
RS-1

Please note I have never heard the MSpro as of yet.

Did you mis-write MS-2 to MS-1 there?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #19 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by einis
i understand the music series one is a modified sr-125? and the series two should be a sr-225, thou even better!
how can they have these prices, with included worldwide shipping etc and still make money?
orphsmile.gif

It's generally better not to compare exactly the performance of Grado models to its price list. Grado price strategy is simply weird and not customer based. John Grado prefers mahogany over aluminum alloy, hence they're secret & overpriced PS-1's, under-priced MS-2's and in between RS-1's & MS Pro & RS-2's. The only MS-1's seem to fit the price with $99 (>SR-80's, <SR-125's).
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #20 of 93
Quote:

The only Grado headphone that sounds like the PS-1 is the MS-2, of course the PS-1 is a lot better, but the MS2 will get you about 90% there. The ms2 are very fast, very detailed with fast deep but not warm bass. They were my favorite Grados (besides the HP-2) If I could rank them I would as such :

PS-1
HP-2 & HP-1 tie
MS-1
RS-1

KR.., I think you're the first one saying exactly how much % of PS-1's you can get from MS-2's. I think it would be nice if someone would do a detailed comparison of PS-1's vs. MS-2's. Considering the same (?) aluminum alloy material (sonic properties), no model button on the outer mesh (the identical airflow), the difference in design is the length of the air chambers and plastic driver ring (glued) vs. metal one (screwed) and probably different (tweaked?) drivers. Thus I think you should get close (the question is how much close, Kr..'s 90% is much promising
cool.gif
) sound of PS-1's for a fraction of the price.

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #21 of 93
Quote:

The ms2 are very fast, very detailed with fast deep but not warm bass. They were my favorite Grados (besides the HP-2)

Well, ****. I'm sold. Too bad I'm broke as well... I'd make amends, though, were one to show up in the FS forum...

Keep dreaming, Evan, keep dreaming...
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #22 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
It's generally better not to compare exactly the performance of Grado models to its price list. Grado price strategy is simply weird and not customer based. John Grado prefers mahogany over aluminum alloy, hence they're secret & overpriced PS-1's, under-priced MS-2's and in between RS-1's & MS Pro & RS-2's.

All of Grado's high end phono cartridges are made of wood too. Sheesh, plant a tree for the man!
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
All of Grado's high end phono cartridges are made of wood too. Sheesh, plant a tree for the man!
tongue.gif

It would be cool to plant mahogany trees, however some tropical hardwood tree species (e.g. mahogany) are protected here in Hong Kong and Grado uses dark reddish brown colored kind of Brazilian Mahogany.

I refer to the price strategy, not the chosen material. Obviously it's cheaper and easier to manufacture an aluminum alloy than mahogany.

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Permonic
Obviously it's cheaper and easier to manufacture an aluminum alloy than mahogany.

I have always wondered. Are these wooden cans only for good looking, or do the wood make sound better than metal?

Georg Langrath

Jun 11, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 93
Quote:

Originally Posted by Langrath
I have always wondered. Are these wooden cans only for good looking, or do the wood make sound better than metal?

Both, probably. And not necessarily "better" in either respect; wood just has a warmer sound to it. Metal cups will sound more sterile. Just depends on the type of sound you're looking for.

Jun 11, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #26 of 93
i have now ordered the ms2. this paypal thingy was a bit scary but i think i did it right
smily_headphones1.gif

comment on the ms2`s will come as fast as ill get my hands on them. now, DO NOT GET LOST IN THE MAIL....
rolleyes.gif

Jun 11, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #28 of 93
I've been using the Grado SR-60s for a couple of years now, because they sound great for the price and work well with anything from a Panasonic portable to a decent home rig. Plus, they go a long way toward ensuring my sanity during a long day in the office.

I've just upgraded my at-home headphone setup -- crucial since my 3-year-old sleeps on the other side of the wall from the stereo -- and I'm looking for another set of 'phones to use there.

The Alessandro MS1s seem like a steal -- the company says they're based on the $140 Grado 125s -- but I'm wondering how much better they'll be than the basic old SR-60s. When I bought the 60s, I auditioned the 80s as well and didn't find a significant difference between the two, except for the pads. Has anyone compared the 60s and the Alessandro MS1s?

Thnx for any thoughts.

Mike

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #29 of 93
cant i ask any ms1 or ms2 owners how you payed with paypal?
i transferred to info@alessandro-products.com but he claims i did it wrong and it should be hounddogcorp@msn.com (!)

acorrding to paypal:
Name:
George Alessandro
Email:
info@alessandro-products.com

this should be the same right? im not happy if i loose my money or he leaves with them claiming he didnt get them(!) (has happened before)

help?

Jun 11, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 93
Going from the SR60 to MS-1 will give you less treble (a good thing for my taste), quite a bit more lower bass and an overall smoother sound. The differences are not huge but still quite easy to detect (especially the stronger low bass) and since they were all improvements for my preferences it did make a quite big difference. I used the modded Senn pads on both headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back