Alcohol Appreciation
Apr 15, 2003 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

RoninDiesel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm real big on alcohol. Before you go off, let me finish. I like alcohol more out of appreciation than to get plastered drunk. I love the texture, the taste, all that fun stuff. With that, I\ want to know which drinks the drinkers on these forums prefer. It could be mixed drinks, a type of beer, certain hard liquor, etc. Just something you appreciate and like. I'll start.
Mixes:
Mojito (Puerto Rican rum, sugar, mint leaves, tonic)
Long Island Iced Tea

Beers:
Anything Lindeman's - Framboise, Kreik, Peche *****. Highly recommend. Matter of fact, I'm drinking Framboise right now.
Duvel - Very strong, yet keeps me coming back.
Heinies and New Castle round out the average beers.

Apr 15, 2003 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 54
I like simple drinks:

Straight good bourbon for sipping.
Vodka and Soda
Rum and Coke
Bourbon and Coke
Good tequila with beer chaser
High quality tequila neat
Really good rum neat

With dinner:

A good Rioja, Cabernet, or Pinot Noir red
Or a good beer

All depends on the occasion.

When working with some Estonian and Russian coworkers, I learned another good toast drink: 1 shot of vodka topped off with 1 shot of champagne in a shooter. Really hits the spot.

Apr 15, 2003 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by RoninDiesel
Beers:
Duvel - Very strong, yet keeps me coming back.

You're my brother !!! The Duvel is my absolute favorite. Slightly lighter the Orval is quite good too. In light white, the Hoegaarden is perfect and in light blond the jupiler rules. Sometimes, it's just so good to be born in Belgium
biggrin.gif

To be true, I prefer wine over beer. A St Emilion would be perfect right now. Red wine, with a light taste of oak but not as heavy as the Bourgogne. My absolute favorite till now however was a spanish wine, the Bodega LAN Rioja reserva 96.

In "strong alcohol" : whisky. Dry or with icecubes if it's only a J&B.

Apr 15, 2003 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 54
hey zol, what do you mean by neat

hey brother, i need to try out some of those. hopefully this beverage place called Hi-Times wine cellar will have them. Or beverages and more at least.

Apr 15, 2003 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by RoninDiesel
hey zol, what do you mean by neat.

"Neat" always means that there is no mixer or ice. Basically it means "straight" in a nice glass.

Apr 15, 2003 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 54
Good to see others who are in it for the drinks themselves and not the aftereffects of the drinks.
wink.gif
I tend to prefer the simple drinks as well. Although Car Bombs are a weakness - half pint Guinness, shot glass with baileys and a touch of whiskey. Drop the shot glass into the guinness and chug!

Aaanyway, I too prefer wine over beer. I usually prefer red, although there are some excellent whites out there. Living here in the Bay Area has turned me into a bit of a wine snob as there are so many excellent wineries within a couple hours driving. I've also become a big big fan of ports and other late harvest wines. A high quality port is immensely satisfying.

As far as the hard liquor, I've got a weakness for good tequila. A shot of silver petron has almost become a requisite when I'm out at a bar or pool hall with friends.

Apr 15, 2003 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 54
my definite favourite:

Oban (whiskey)

you don't water that stuff down, or even put ice in it, it's just to excuisite for that. not stuff to get drunk on either.

when it comes to beer tho, anything by Hougaarden breweries, and Duvel ofcourse
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 3:46 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
my definite favourite:

Oban (whiskey)

you don't water that stuff down, or even put ice in it, it's just to excuisite for that. not stuff to get drunk on either.

when it comes to beer tho, anything by Hougaarden breweries, and Duvel ofcourse
cool.gif

Oh man...I found another one!! I love this stuff!! The best single malt scotch I've ever had. Haven't found another one yet that I like nearly so much (which is saying a lot, since I do like single malt scotch).

As far as beer goes, I'm a Philistine of sorts...I'll drink just about anything, but seem to have a taste for the stuff that's meatier (think Bass Ale, for example). For domestic stuff, I'm partial to Strohs (formerly of Detroit) and Rolling Rock (Latrobe, PA - Arnie's favorite beer). However, as long as the beer in question is not Red White and Blue brand, I'll pretty much drink it.

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 54
I do love my malts.

Oban is a wonderful coastal. I seem to be hooked more on Islay malts these days. Lagavulin 16 is still my favorite, with Laphroaig 10 as a backup. Loving the Ardbeg as well.

gerG

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 54
Jack Daniels Old No. 7 Tennesse Whiskey
Jack Daniels Single Barrel - best stuff on earth
Hennesey Cognac
Chivas Regal Scotch

I don't drink anything mixed, that's gross.

I love beer also.

Apr 15, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 54
OK, favorite cocktail is Long Island, and I know a bartender that's very generous with the alcohol
wink.gif
My favorite long island is the Terminator at Planet Hollywood, I'll be having a few (but probably more) next weekend in Vegas
smily_headphones1.gif

Favorite beer: Well, I am in the microbrew capital of the country so my choices are almost endless. My favorites are Sam Adams Cream Stout, McTarnahan's scottish style amber ale, Fat Tire (not a NW beer), Guinness (also not NW). I also like Corona when I eat mexican. The best beer I've had that was limited production is bourbon bock from the Widmer brewing company, it was aged in oak bourbon barrels and had an alcohol content of 12%. I hope they make it again sometime, it was a 10th anniversary summer brew fest thing.

I'll be volunteering at the Spring Brew fest this Friday, I'll probably get some beer for "free" and a t-shirt.

Favorite liquor/liqueur: kahlua (great on vanilla ice cream/soft serve), bailey's, bacardi, wild turkey, Gran Mariner, root beer schnapps.

Favorite wine: Don't really have a favorite, but I'm partial to red wines.

Favorite champagne: Moet White Star (tastes just like Dom Perignon IMO...same company).

PS: Domestic macro brew is for bonging
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back