Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These are REALLY worth checking out ]
Jun 29, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #181 of 522
Sorry, I haven't heard the SM3, but can tell you the RSM is the most neutral headphone own (PS1000/500e, HE560, Dunu Titan) and scales very well. I plugged it into my Taurus Mk. 2 and was floored by the sound. The soundstage is spectacular, far beyond anything I anticipated from an in ear.

That's good, one of the things I do not like with IEMs is when they give a stuck-in-the-head feeling, which I personally believe contributes listening fatigue. But the soundstage cannot be compared to the likes of open headphones can it?

I have the RSM with my X5 and they have excellent synergy! The best sound I've heard so far, I like it more than my HE400i that I sold to buy these.

Sounds like you are really enjoying that pairing! How would you describe the low and high end though? The two ends of the spectrum usually makes or breaks the deal for me.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #183 of 522
The lows are powerful yet very detailed and highs are smooth and never fatiguing.

Beautiful. Sorry for the flood of questions but what's your comfortable listening volume on the X5 on low gain? Seems like the only few things left to do is wait for a periodic promotion (if they ever have one) or wait for the exchange rate to get a little gentler on the wallet!

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #184 of 522
Right now its on high gain and its usually 45/50 and I have the eq off. Yep they are a bit expensive but totally worth every bit if you like to listen to your music they way it suppose to be.
So if you don't mind me asking where are you from? And have you got your impressions done already?

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #185 of 522
Right now its on high gain and its usually 45/50 and I have the eq off. Yep they are a bit expensive but totally worth every bit if you like to listen to your music they way it suppose to be.
So if you don't mind me asking where are you from? And have you got your impressions done already?

Sounds like pretty low sensitivity. Because I'm running the SM3 out of the X5 at 20 on low gain, and its very source dependent for the much needed black background. I'm from Singapore, a very audiophile friendly city to be in with a large selection of everything (except Alclair, sadly). Intending to get the impressions done soon.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #186 of 522
Sounds like pretty low sensitivity. Because I'm running the SM3 out of the X5 at 20 on low gain, and its very source dependent for the much needed black background. I'm from Singapore, a very audiophile friendly city to be in with a large selection of everything (except Alclair, sadly). Intending to get the impressions done soon.

The RSM IS 32 ohm, which I prefer, no worries about 99% of amps having hissing issues that way.

Jun 30, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #188 of 522
I have an in-ear with a soft canal.  I don't see a benefit with the soft canals plus the silicone is harder to clean.

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #190 of 522
Happy Independence Day:boom::flag_us:!

Listening to Faure's Requuiem on my RSMs, beautiful, out of the head soundstage, incredible depth, imaging, each singer easily distinguishable. My system, iPhone 6+>Norne SolvX 1/8 to 1/8>Apex Glacier> Norne Vorpal 8 Wire>RSMs, simply sublime!

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #191 of 522
Does anyone have any comparisons to some of the other ciem's in this price range?  Noble 4, V6stage, ctm500, maybe even the re400.  I'm due for my next step pair in the fall and am having a hard time picking from the neutralish models.  These have been on my radar for a long time.  If I missed it in this thread I am sorry.....

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #192 of 522
I'm currently using the RE-400s, and my RSMs should arrive within a couple weeks. I'll let you know how they compare. I haven't heard any of the others on the list, but I've read that the Noble 4 is accurate and balanced, so probably similar to the RSM. The V6 Stage is more u-shaped with slightly enhanced lows and highs. Nothing too significant, but it makes music sound more "fun" and introduces some sibilance. You can check joker's reviews on both of them for a better explanation. He's also reviewed the Alclair Reference, which some have said the RSM is an upgraded version of if that's at all helpful.

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #193 of 522
I have read Jokers reviews over and over :)   I love the re400 for what it is.  I also love my Earwerkz customs but my wife may inherit them.  I may have to sneak to Nashville to hear these and maybe some JH since they have an office there.  I am really interested in these, the ctm500, and the unknown hifiman re1000.  I think the Noble 4 may be a little bass shy (hair under neutral) and the V6stage may be just a tad brighter than I want.  All this is just from info I can gather to compare to known items.  Do post your thoughts when you get them.  Hope you love them.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #194 of 522
I own RE-400 and Alclair Reference. I can say that Alclair sounds differently compared to RE-400. The first difference comes to my head is Re-400 is smoother & slower compared to Reference. Both are neutral with lil bit warmth but Re-400 is warmer than Reference. Reference soundstage & separation is way bigger than RE-400. Reference also has good atmosphere: the sound fills the space. With Linum BaX, Reference becomes a lil bit V-shaped. The upper mid of Reference is somewhat elevated. Reference is better with energetic/upbeat music, such as alternative, EDM, rock, upbeat pop. RE-400 might be better for slow music, such as jazz, ballad; with small/congested soundstage.

I got Reference because the second pair of RE-400 broke after few months. My first pair was broke at same location (joint between cable & housing). I'm sure HifiMan would replace it but I didn't want to bother with their QC anymore; I was tired. This was the ultimate reason I move on to CIEM.

I don't own & never heard RSM. People said that RSM upgrades Reference sound & fixes Reference's center soundstage problem. Joker reviews says Alclair & 1964-V6 share same sound signature. However, I'm also looking for comparison between RSM, V6, Earwerkz Penta. Seems like nobody has compared them in detail so far. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #195 of 522
i have the RSM and im not sure how the RE400 sound but they should not even be close in sound, a 650 dollar CIEM to a 79 dollar IEM. I can tell you that the RSM is like nothing you have ever heard with a good source, they sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back