Alclair RSM Quad Custom In-Ear Monitor Impressions Thread [ These are REALLY worth checking out ]
Jul 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #31 of 522
Somewhat ironically, I now have W40s, because Westone replaced my W4s with them under warranty when the housing came apart. I got the W4s from Earphone Solutions for such a good price because Westone was about to introduce their new lineup, so they were non-current. I mention this in part because I have been very happy with the customer service of both companies. I have had numerous sets of Westones and have been happy with all of them, and if I had the wherewithal I'd certainly have a set of ES60s.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #32 of 522
That is odd. I'm also currently in talks with westone for an RMA on my w4rs that I bought from earphone solutions. Both companies have been great. I'll PM you about the w4 v w40. I'm curious.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #35 of 522
  Thanks for the incredible review! Really great looking iems. 

Thank you!  It was a joy to write.  I'm very happy with my purchase.  I'm actually considering a second pair so that I do not need to swap out balanced and SE cables all the time.  

Has anyone tried the Crank Master 5000s? I would curious how these sound compared to the RSMs. I do like bass but it has to be clean and not bloated in any way.

I spent some time with the universal crank masters.  They weren't quite for me.  The low end was by no means overwhelming, but the bass on the RSMs feels much more controlled.  On the CM5Ks, the mids feel a bit rounded as well.  I got the sense they are really designed for percussionists as studio monitors.  

The XB duals on the other hand!!!  I really enjoyed those.  They remind me of UE Triple Fi's!  They are a lot of fun but are smoother in the treble than the UE's.  They are a fantastic steal for the money.  My issue with the UE Triple Fi's was always fitment.  That would never be an issue with the XB duals.  

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #36 of 522
Thank you!  It was a joy to write.  I'm very happy with my purchase.  I'm actually considering a second pair so that I do not need to swap out balanced and SE cables all the time.  

I spent some time with the universal crank masters.  They weren't quite for me.  The low end was by no means overwhelming, but the bass on the RSMs feels much more controlled.  On the CM5Ks, the mids feel a bit rounded as well.  I got the sense they are really designed for percussionists as studio monitors.  

The XB duals on the other hand!!!  I really enjoyed those.  They remind me of UE Triple Fi's!  They are a lot of fun but are smoother in the treble than the UE's.  They are a fantastic steal for the money.  My issue with the UE Triple Fi's was always fitment.  That would never be an issue with the XB duals.  

Thanks for the input. How about the tours, where they good? I'm trying to think what to get with my X5 that I will be getting Tuesday the X5 is a good match with IEMs so my next purchase will be some CIEMs.

Aug 18, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #37 of 522
Thanks for the input. How about the tours, where they good? I'm trying to think what to get with my X5 that I will be getting Tuesday the X5 is a good match with IEMs so my next purchase will be some CIEMs.

For music listening purposes the Reference is superior to the Tour.  The Tour was designed with a beefier low-end for those pro musicians who prefer an extra kick in their monitoring. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #38 of 522
For music listening purposes the Reference is superior to the Tour.  The Tour was designed with a beefier low-end for those pro musicians who prefer an extra kick in their monitoring. 

Thanks, looks like RSM it will be, now I only need one thing......more money. I think after these customs it will be time just enjoy the stuff I have and not spend any money on this redicously expensive hobby.

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #39 of 522
Thanks, looks like RSM it will be, now I only need one thing......more money. I think after these customs it will be time just enjoy the stuff I have and not spend any money on this redicously expensive hobby.

Heh, if you haven't bought those RSMs yet, you might want to hold off another month. I heard from them at CanJam that they might be releasing an 8-driver model soon, probably November, which should be a step up from the RSM. It should have a similar sound signature, neutralish.

I auditioned the RSMs there and really liked them. They're on my short list.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #40 of 522
  Heh, if you haven't bought those RSMs yet, you might want to hold off another month. I heard from them at CanJam that they might be releasing an 8-driver model soon, probably November, which should be a step up from the RSM. It should have a similar sound signature, neutralish.

I auditioned the RSMs there and really liked them. They're on my short list.

Good to know. Im thinking of buying the HiFiman HE400i right now. maybe next year i will look into those 8 driver model.

Thanks for the insight.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #41 of 522
Has anyone tried the Crank Master 5000s? I would curious how these sound compared to the RSMs. I do like bass but it has to be clean and not bloated in any way.

I listened to the whole lineup at CanJam.  I loved the Crankmaster 5000s the best.  In fact, they were my favorite IEM at the show (I went back and listened to them 3 times).  For $750, they seem like a pretty good deal.  The bass is crisp, definitely not bloated.  Very, very crisp, and I really liked the presentation.

Of course, I'm actually looking for a colored signature right now.  I've already got a Noble K10 and an Heir 8.A.  Looking for bass right now, and these fit the bill without breaking the bank.  I actually preferred them to the Roxanne, at less than half the price.

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #42 of 522
You liked the cm5k more than the RSM? They definitely are fun. I really like the signature of the RSM and I hope the 8 driver model is along the same lines.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #43 of 522
Yes, I liked it a lot more than the RSM.  I really liked the "fun" tuning, and I wasn't the only one thinking that.  My friend, who attended CanJam with me, was also impressed most of all by the CM5K, and I heard a few other people at the booth say the same thing.  I don't know; if I were looking for only one CIEM, I might stay away from them.  But I'm currently looking for something that's much more fun, and to my ears you really can't beat the CM5K.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #44 of 522
For "fun" I rellt liked their dual xb. They feel like detailed and punchier triple fi's. And they're only like $300.

Oct 15, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #45 of 522
I listened to the whole lineup that they had, and preferred the CM5K, honestly.  I am looking for a nice, bassy, CIEM. I was quite impressed by how clear the CM5K sounded.  It is definitely on my short-list for my next CIEM (currently that list includes the CM5K and the Noble 6S).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back